No audio after reformatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebug0114

hi there, pls anyone help me. i reformmatted my hardrive, reinstalled windows xp pro sp2. i admit that was my first attempt at reinstalling os. the result- i have two os now, all windows xp pro. hahaha. what should i do? the new xp dont have audio. but its faster. the old xp, is terrible. but the audio is still there. what happened? what should i do to have my audio back and how do i delete the old xp?

assuming you're using asustek inc k8v-vm motherboard.
you can just install the audio driver provided http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=K8V-VM]HERE
and I suggest you to install other drivers as well (from that sites) so that your computer can function as expected...

remember, do not download driver for WinXP 64bit (as i believe yours is 32-bit).

and btw, these files can be found in the cd given by ASUS when you purchase the computer / motherboard.

for complete reformating, firstly you should insert WinXP cd during the POST (first startup) and do a clean reformating for your pc, but remember all data in partition that you're going to reformat will be cleaned out.

i;m still lookin for a tutorial around the net so you can understand better.

Welcome to TechSpot! :D

hello, i can play audio on my pc. basically any music that i would want to hear, i can play it whether on the windows media player or the winamp or itunes. but when time is come for me to chat on the messenger i cant bradcast audio to my chatmate, i can hear them but they cant. i can seem to configure correctly mic which is built in with my cam. ive everything that others had told me to do so. but still i cant broadcast my audio.

Your mic must be set up online (so to speak) it must be set up in those chat programs that you are using. They usually have an area for doing this, plus some type of test feature.

Open the chat program, and go into the help or support section, possible even ask others in that chat program.

By the way, you have gone to Sound Recorder, and tested your mic
All Programs -> Accessories ->Entertainment -> Sound Recorder

If it works, then it's not your computer settings, it's the chat program settings
They seem to work better not on USB but using the Mic in jack, on your sound card too.

If it doesn't work, go to Control Panel-> Sound and select the audio tab and confirm your Mic is selected (you may need to check advanced settings too.

hello, thanks for the tutorial. i did not bother to delete my other os,since after i downloaded drivers for my audio and webcam from the website you recommended, my pc is working allright once again. another problem occured however, my dvd and cd drives could not be read. i can open them and insert cds but it is not working. when i went to the device manager, its says that it is not working because a registry is missing or is corrupted. what should i do? but if i restart my pc and go to the other os, it is working. what seem to be the problem?

Run REGEDIT, open up the following folders:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
Class
{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

After clicking on {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} you should see two settings on the right-hand side:
"Upperfilters"
"Lowerfilters"

Click on each of them, press DELETE and click YES.

Rescan h/w in Device Manager, it worked for me, my DVD writer is back.

The theory is that something you installed lately created this problem.

just dont forget to restart after rescanning or uninstalling them or it wont work till you do

I should've said if only one exists (or both), remove.

Please remove the upperfilters

Yes

Then restart

Test your drives again

ahahaha, my apology. hey it works now. and this site really works also,hehe. thanks a lot. im so glad this website is helping a lot.

hi there, i have this problem evertime i try to install nero express. in the middle of the installation process, an error always occur thus the process is always interrupted and the installation not completed. this is what i always get:
internal error
custom action dll chrashed on last call
infunction 'neroag-registercomex' the installer must now exit

crash thread id 2080
current thread id 936

what is these all about?

Confirm that you are a Computer administrator account
Control Panel -> User Accounts

Remove any remains (doesn't sound nice) of Nero.
ie in add/remove Programs (if it exists there)
Also do a search for Nero on your computer
Usually located in C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero

Then download CCleaner and fully run, removing all temp files

Then download and run Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

Then Restart

Then try re-install Nero again

i think its a simple driver issue that you are having although the fixes above may correct ur issue. Check for the latest drivers from the maker and get the latest updates i had the same issue with my macbook pro.

whats this

hey can anyone tell me what this means? everytime y pc starts up, something like this come up. pcatv.exe. no disk is inserted on the drive a and also later on in cd cannot start. maybe this is why i cannot install my nero? ive tried cleaning thru ccleaner and and windows install clean up but still i cant install nero.

I'd say that's important.

Please download Startup Control Panel
Run the program, and remove (untick) "pcatv.exe" entry.

Also, something that "porsche911r" alerted me to, by his post.
Are all drivers and chipsets updated ?
Please go to Control Panel -> System-> Hardware -> Device Manager
Are there any yellow querrie marks in there?
If so, then all your drivers have not been updated as yet
You can also right click on each of these, and automatically check for updates.

Due to this error and the other errors you have had, it seems it is not a very clean install of Windows.
i reformmatted my hardrive, reinstalled windows xp pro sp2
But where would "pcatv.exe" come from ?
Have you also connected an old harddrive as slave to your system ?

I'm starting to think, a new format and re-install, may be worth it.

hi guys i wanna know whats a system interrupt controller? what does it do? i asked because in my my device manager, it has a yellow question mark beside it. and how do i update it if it is really needed? i dont have a cd for my mobo.

lol kimsland thanks for the win thing but yeh im just thinking in the views of what steps we shud follow thats it really dude.

safe to reformat drive c?

is it safe to reformat my drive c? i want to clean reinstall xp. i have 2 partitions. once i tried reformatting, i deleted the other os on drive d and then i tried to delete also the one the original one which is in drive c, but there was a warning that my computer might not work if i delete it too. should i just continue? i want to have just os so i dont have this option everytime i start my pc. the question that asks me which os i want to start. the original os doesnt seem to work anymore because the wallpaper is the only one thats appearing and nothing more but i can hear the start up sound of windows but no menus already. pls help. what is the correct steps in formatting pc? and how do i remove the partitions so i can only have one?

Windows Re-Install Clean Steps

Required:
  • A Working Computer !
  • CD/DVD Drive
  • Windows XP System Setup Disk
  • Windows Product Key
  • Hardware driver discs (Or just download all drivers to CD, from the net first)

Proceedure: (Note: each step has a delay - copying files etc)
  • Insert XP CD into CD drive.
  • Restart your computer (Confirm that BIOS is set for CD as first boot drive)
  • Press any key, to boot from Windows Setup CD
  • Setup will start copying files, if you need to install any third-party or RAID drivers press F6 (Normally No)
  • Next you will get the option to repair or enter setup, choose to enter setup. Press ENTER
  • Press F8 if you agree to the license
  • Press ESC to bypass the repair and install a fresh copy
  • Use your up/down arrow keys to select the old partition(s)
  • Once the old partition is highlighted, pressD to delete it
  • Press L to confirm deletion
  • Repeat the last 3 steps, for any other partitions installed
  • You can now press Enter to continue
  • If asked to Format, Select Quick Format NTFS (thorough is better, but takes longer)
  • Follow all Windows Setup steps after that

Once Windows is installed
  • This is where the Drivers CDs come in, please use this to setup all your hardware
  • Once all drivers are installed, it's time to install any software packages you may have
  • Finally install AntiVirus, and go on the Net to Activate Windows online
  • Then it's on to Windows Update to install all Windows Security updates (including updated Drivers)

That's about the general jist of it. :)

hi techspot, thanks for lots of lessons i learned from you. last night i clean installed my windows xp, and now i have a nice working computer. but i still have this problem about installing nero express. i have this cd which came along with my dvd rw drive that i bought. i already installed it before i reformatted my harddrive, i was able to install it. but now it after i reformatted, it doesnt seem to work. just when my installation is about to finish, a failure occurs and its like this

internal error

custom action dll crashed on last callin function 'neroag_registercomex' the installer must now exit.

crash thread id 3836
current thread id 3956

whats this about?
and i tried to uninstall it but then, i cannot do it now. i cannot unistall it now too!!!?? what must i do?

Nero clean tool:
http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/Nero7_CleanTool.html

Run the clean tool first

Are all your drivers fully updated?
Have you installed SP2?
Have you done Windows updates

Also, sometimes Nero wants your ATA DVDR/W Drive set up as Master (tiny jumper on back of DVD drive) Make sure your DVDR/W Drive has its own IDE cable and even unplug any extra CD/DVD drive installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back