Battlefield 3 official discussion thread

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff
Considering how popular Battlefield 3 is among PC gamers, I figure it might be worthwhile to start an official discussion thread in anticipation of its launch. By consolidating BF3-related posts, it should make it easier for interested parties to join the discussion. It'll also keep the board a bit neater by cutting down on new threads. Feel free to use this for anything and everything involving BF3 :).

Due in North America on October 25 and Europe on October 28, BF3 is expected to have an M rating and will feature co-op gameplay, four classes, more unlockables and better, more immediate post-release content than BFBC2, along with well-balanced character customization that doesn't rely on "pink rabbit hats." Level destruction has been cranked up, character animations are more realistic courtesy of EA Sports' ANT engine, war sounds have been captured at various distances to ensure realism, and audio cues have been improved.

I hope they add another add on like they did with B.F Vietnam, to B.F 3!! Watched the trailer for B.F 3 and it looks just and good if not better then the 2nd!!

I would like to see a mod that went back to WWII but i believe i read somewhere that it wont be modable.

I wish I wasn't so excited about this game, but I am. Only problem is if it's not offered on Steam I will probably not get it. I will no use a second game distribution service to get my games. I've finally come round on Steam (used to hate the idea) and prefer not to have several to worry about getting compromised.

So i just got email today about the battlefield 3 beta!!

Thank you for purchasing the Medal of Honor Limited Edition, which included access to the upcoming Battlefield 3 Beta! We are making great progress on Battlefield 3 and can't wait to share it with you. We will be rolling out the Beta during the month of September and you are still on our exclusive list to enter this Beta early.

We are currently running internal tests and a tech-focused closed Alpha Trial. We will be sure to notify you when the Battlefield 3 Beta is available to you. In the meantime, check out some of the latest Battlefield 3 videos and related news at the official site.

Regards,
The DICE team

email they sent me!!

Since pre-ordering on Origin now gets you early access to the beta, has that changed anyone's mind? I don't think it's THAT big of a deal that it is not on Steam. Starcraft 2 isn't on Steam and that was the highest selling PC game of 2010. People not buying BF3 just because it's not sold at their preferred distribution platform seems pretty silly in the big picture.

Gamers can pre-order Battlefield 3 at Origin.com as well as over 100 digital retailers worldwide. EA offers games to all major download services. Unfortunately, Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. No other download service has adopted these practices.

We are intent on providing Battlefield 3 players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers. We hope to work out an agreement where Steam can carry Battlefield 3; meanwhile, gamers can pick from the more than 100 digital retailers listed at http://www.battlefield.com/digitaldownload, or go to http://www.origin.com.

Battlefield 3 and Digital Retailers

If its not on steam then i will just have to buy retail.

I think battlefield 3 will be amazing :) , it should be more successful then modern warfare 3 because its coming out 2-3 weeks before. but it should be good! I'm buying it on steam!

I think battlefield 3 will be amazing :) , it should be more successful then modern warfare 3 because its coming out 2-3 weeks before. but it should be good! I'm buying it on steam!

Except... It's not available on Steam. I want BF3 to sell more than MW3, but BF3 just doesn't have the popularity that MW3 has. Heck, I know 16 year old girls that know what COD is and they play it, when I mention Battlefield 3 they go "what?". With that in mind, I don't think it would be good for BF3 if we had your average 16 year old girl and 12 year old boys playing it.

OH MAN! That was awesome! :grinthumb G, I have got to build a new system but still waiting on Bulldozer before making my decision. Got any guesses on what you believe will be the minimum graphics card that will be able play this game with good FPS?

I have such mixed feelings for buying this game...

On one hand I absolutely love the BF series and this game looks AMAZING.
On the other hand, EA is seriously pissing me off by not putting this game on Steam. :(

Got any guesses on what you believe will be the minimum graphics card that will be able play this game with good FPS?

Could ask the people in the beta, see how their systems are handling it. :p

OH MAN! That was awesome! :grinthumb G, I have got to build a new system but still waiting on Bulldozer before making my decision. Got any guesses on what you believe will be the minimum graphics card that will be able play this game with good FPS?

I am betting that it is going to be a GTX 570/6950 @ 1080P with high high (not ultra) affair....just a guess :)

Ya that is some hot action indeed, can't wait :D .

I have such mixed feelings for buying this game..

Likewise, I'm loving a lot of things they are doing in-game and have no doubt it's going to be kickass. But there are so many rubbish deal-breakers outside of the game that are really upsetting. I don't understand why they are intentionally trying to shoot themselves in the foot with BF3 over and over instead of learning from Activison with MW2, who ironically is starting to look like they are doing a full 180 for MW3.

Could ask the people in the beta, see how their systems are handling it. :p

I'm sure several people will be posting feedback come beta here and elsewhere. I know I will, even with my modest system people should get a good idea of what will be required.

This does look amazing. The one thing I feel might let it down is that there is so much to coordinate, and so much team work required. When your whole team go recon sniper you know it's going to be a hard match.... :D

Looking forward to this a lot though. Even if it proves tough to get a good balanced team battle I should be a great game.Someone I work with was in the alpha testing and has nothing but good things to say about it (other than having to update his rig with Nvidia beta drivers that weren't stable in other games).

That is one of the most amazing things I've seen in gaming... Still not enough to get me to purchase it outside of Steam though... but wow.

Yeah this not being available on steam makes me want to boycott the game entirely. But this looks so damn amazing, I think I'm gonna have have to give in and buy through Origin. The only way we could get it on Steam would be for the entire PC community to organize a ban on the game until we get it on Steam. Which is something I think would never happen.

Just pre-ordered mine yesterday from Origin, too bad I missed the deal they had with dead-space 2 for free.

LNCPapa, I understand your concerns. However, I'm glad there is a company pushing another digital homefront for gaming. I love Steam, but, I like "competition". A lot.

Advanced beta opened last night. Don't know what resolution its using as it runs in a little window until Alt + Enter. But it looks really good. Prone makes a come back and I'm liking it a lot. Probably like it more when not everyone is playing recon and lying in a bush. At least they seem to have flash lights or reflecting sun on scopes as its a lot easier to spot them, actually seems a little over the top as it looks like every sniper has a maglite torch stuck to the end of his rifle. The environmental detail is nice, haven't seen much destruction yet other than a random tree or two but I think this game is going to be very addictive :)

Just thought I'd add in the performance information (running the rig in my System Specs link but at 3.4Ghz) I'd posted on the BF3 AMD Driver news post:

Outdoors in Metro level - 50-75 FPS
Indoors in Metro level - 75-120 FPS

1920x1200, All settings at top level of Ultra or High depending on setting.
MSAA x 4.

Note that these were manual observations I made while running FRAPS and not low and highs recorded automatically.

That's comforting info about the performance Arris. I was wondering if I'd have to upgrade if I did decide to get this game... dumb Origin mumble mumble.

I have a feeling that performance is going to be markedly different from the multiplayer beta to the Single player retail release.

Back