Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.
Based on the powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
This project is mature. However, there may be still some bugs and missing features that are being worked on. If you have any questions or suggestions about this project, please post them in the forums. Also, if you wish to make a feature request, you can post it there as well. But there's no guarantee that I'll implement your request.
You're encouraged to translate Notepad++ into your native tongue if there's not already a translation present in the Binary Translations page. And if you want, help translating Notepad++ official site into your native tongue would be greatly appreciated.
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- User Defined Syntax Highlighting
- Regular Expression Search/Replace supported
- Full Drag ‘N' Drop supported
- Dynamic position of Views
- File Status Auto-detection
- Zoom in and zoom out
- Multi-Language environment supported
- Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting
- Macro recording and playback
- Fix Notepad++ hanging issue while user uses touchscreen to activate Notepad++ window.
- HTML auto-close tag enhancement: Prevent
, , and from being closed automatically.
- Project enhancement: Allows user defined extension to associate workspace file.
- Make behavior of SHIFT+END and SHIFT+HOME more consistent when word wrapping is enabled.
- Add new API NPPM_SAVEFILE (for plugins) to save any file, not only the focused one.
- Add file extensions for FreePascal/Lazarus pascal, lex (as C).