Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.
Based on the powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
This project is mature. However, there may be still some bugs and missing features that are being worked on. If you have any questions or suggestions about this project, please post them in the forums. Also, if you wish to make a feature request, you can post it there as well. But there's no guarantee that I'll implement your request.
You're encouraged to translate Notepad++ into your native tongue if there's not already a translation present in the Binary Translations page. And if you want, help translating Notepad++ official site into your native tongue would be greatly appreciated.
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- User Defined Syntax Highlighting
- Regular Expression Search/Replace supported
- Full Drag ‘N' Drop supported
- Dynamic position of Views
- File Status Auto-detection
- Zoom in and zoom out
- Multi-Language environment supported
- Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting
- Macro recording and playback
- Add ghost typing feature: launch Notepad++ with the auto-typing text from command line (via command line with argument -qn, -qt or -qf).
- Fix auto-insert bad behaviour : under some condition typing " or ' makes erase the further " or '.
- Fix the crash issue while user Ctrl + double click on an empty document.
- Fix crash bug on loading dropbox settings.
- Show progress window instead of a static window during FindInFiles and ReplaceInFiles.
- Filename rendered incorrectly on tab bar while it contains '&' character.
- Make highlighting (if enabled) follow typing for Incremental search, and add several Incremental search enhancements.
- Add the followings notifications for plugins : NPPNBEFORESHUTDOWN NPPNCANCELSHUTDOWN NPPNFILEBEFORERENAME NPPNFILERENAMECANCEL NPPNFILERENAMED NPPNFILEBEFOREDELETE NPPNFILEDELETEFAILED NPPNFILEDELETED
- Make keystroke ENTER trigger the shortcut editor dialog in Shortcut Mapper.
- Allow drop files onto doc switcher and other side panels.
- Installer remembers user's choices of last installation.
- Fix Auto-indent in new code block not respecting current EOL bug.
- Restore focus to editor when a panel is closed.