Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.
Based on the powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
This project is mature. However, there may be still some bugs and missing features that are being worked on. If you have any questions or suggestions about this project, please post them in the forums. Also, if you wish to make a feature request, you can post it there as well. But there's no guarantee that I'll implement your request.
You're encouraged to translate Notepad++ into your native tongue if there's not already a translation present in the Binary Translations page. And if you want, help translating Notepad++ official site into your native tongue would be greatly appreciated.
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- User Defined Syntax Highlighting
- Regular Expression Search/Replace supported
- Full Drag ‘N' Drop supported
- Dynamic position of Views
- File Status Auto-detection
- Zoom in and zoom out
- Multi-Language environment supported
- Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting
- Macro recording and playback
- Fix a crash issue by using wild card (*) to open files on command line.
- Fix the problem of display refresh missing on exit.
- Fix plugin shortcut configuration lost problem by using option -noPlugin.
- Fix Norwegian localization bad display and wrong encoding.
- Fix functionList display problem under high DPI.
- Due to several incompatibility issues, Source Code Pro font is removed from the release.
- Several visual glitches are fixed for improving Notepad++ user experience.
- Upgrade Scintilla to v3.56.
- Add Language and EOL conversion context menu on status bar.
- Enhance sort lines feature: Add lexicographic and numeric (integer and real) sorting with ascending and descending order.
- Add new feature which launches a new instance with administrator privilege to save the protected file.
- Fix the context menu not working problem after doing find in files action.
- Improve copy (to clipboard) in found results panel.
- Improve find in files modal dialog.