What is the difference between Visual Studio Code and Visual Studio?
Visual Studio Code is a code editor with support for development operations like debugging, task running, and version control, while Visual Studio is a fully featured IDE (integrated development environment) that can handle more complex workflows.
Is Visual Studio Code free?
Yes, VS Code is free for individual users or for commercial use.
Is VS Code good for beginners?
Yes. VS Code is a great code editor for professionals and beginners that are just starting with software development.
Can I do Python in VS Code?
Can I run VS Code on Windows 7?
No, Visual Studio Code versions starting with 1.71 (August 2022) no longer run on Windows 7. You will need to upgrade to a newer Windows version in order to use VS Code or use other code editors like Sublime Text and Notepad++, which are compatible with Windows 7.
Go beyond syntax highlighting and autocomplete with IntelliSense, which provides smart completions based on variable types, function definitions, and imported modules.
Print statement debugging is a thing of the past
Debug code right from the editor. Launch or attach to your running apps and debug with break points, call stacks, and an interactive console.
Git commands built-in
Working with Git and other SCM providers has never been easier. Review diffs, stage files, and make commits right from the editor. Push and pull from any hosted SCM service.
Extensible and customizable
Want even more features? Install extensions to add new languages, themes, debuggers, and to connect to additional services. Extensions run in separate processes, ensuring they won't slow down your editor.
- Update 1.84.1: The update addresses these issues.
Welcome to the October 2023 release of Visual Studio Code. There are many updates in this version that we hope you'll like, some of the key highlights include:
- More audio cues - New audio cues to indicate clear, save, and format activity.
- Activity bar position - Move Activity bar to the top for compact display.
- Hide editor tabs - Show multiple, single, or no editor tabs.
- Maximize Editor Groups - Quickly expand the active Editor Group.
- Python improvements - Better run code in terminal, easier virtual environment creation.
- FastAPI tutorial - Learn about developing Python FastAPI apps with VS Code.
- Gradle for Java - Improved support for Java Gradle projects.
- Preview: GitHub Copilot - Chat "agents", generate commit messages, terminal support.
Software similar to Visual Studio Code 12
Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. You'll love the slick user interface, extraordinary features and amazing performance.
- Free to Try
- Windows, macOS, Linux
Notepad++ is a free source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages.
Eclipse IDE is a leading open platform for professional developers.
- Windows, macOS, Linux
Developer tools and services for any platform with any language. IDE, DevOps, code editor & more.
More similar downloads