What is the difference between Visual Studio Code and Visual Studio?
Visual Studio Code is a code editor with support for development operations like debugging, task running, and version control, while Visual Studio is a fully featured IDE (integrated development environment) that can handle more complex workflows.
Is Visual Studio Code free?
Yes, VS Code is free for individual users or for commercial use.
Is VS Code good for beginners?
Yes. VS Code is a great code editor for professionals and beginners that are just starting with software development.
Can I do Python in VS Code?
Can I run VS Code on Windows 7?
No, Visual Studio Code versions starting with 1.71 (August 2022) no longer run on Windows 7. You will need to upgrade to a newer Windows version in order to use VS Code or use other code editors like Sublime Text and Notepad++, which are compatible with Windows 7.
Go beyond syntax highlighting and autocomplete with IntelliSense, which provides smart completions based on variable types, function definitions, and imported modules.
Print statement debugging is a thing of the past
Debug code right from the editor. Launch or attach to your running apps and debug with break points, call stacks, and an interactive console.
Git commands built-in
Working with Git and other SCM providers has never been easier. Review diffs, stage files, and make commits right from the editor. Push and pull from any hosted SCM service.
Extensible and customizable
Want even more features? Install extensions to add new languages, themes, debuggers, and to connect to additional services. Extensions run in separate processes, ensuring they won't slow down your editor.
Welcome to the November 2022 release of Visual Studio Code. There are many updates in this version that we hope you'll like, some of the key highlights include:
- Customize Explorer auto reveal - Decide which files scroll into view in the Explorer.
- Hide Activity bar and Panel badges - Simplify the editor UI by toggling state badges.
- Audio cues for notebooks and diff view - Sounds for cell run results, added or removed lines.
- Merge editor Undo/Redo - Quickly revert or reapply merge conflict actions.
- Manage unsafe repositories - Prevent Git operations on folders not owned by you.
- Remote Tunnels - Create a connection to any machine, without needing SSH.
- Jupyter notebook "Just My Code" debugging - Avoid stepping into Python library code.
- Dev Container GPU support - Request a GPU when creating a Dev Container.
Software similar to Visual Studio Code 12
Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. You'll love the slick user interface, extraordinary features and amazing performance.
- Free to Try
Notepad++ is a free source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages.
Developer tools and services for any platform with any language. IDE, DevOps, code editor & more.
More similar downloads