State-of-the-art semantic personal publishing platform with a focus on aesthetics, web standards, and usability.
WordPress is web software you can use to create a beautiful website or blog. We like to say that WordPress is both free and priceless at the same time.
The core software is built by hundreds of community volunteers, and when you’re ready for more there are thousands of plugins and themes available to transform your site into almost anything you can imagine. Over 25 million people have chosen WordPress to power the place on the web they call “home” — we’d love you to join the family.
This release features a lightning fast redesigned linking workflow which makes it easy to link to your existing posts and pages, an admin bar so you’re never more than a click away from your most-used dashboard pages, a streamlined writing interface that hides many of the seldom-used panels by default to create a simpler and less intimidating writing experience for new bloggers (visit Screen Options in the top right to get old panels back), and a refreshed blue admin scheme available for selection under your personal options.
There’s a bucket of candy for developers as well, including our new Post Formats support which makes it easy for themes to create portable tumblelogs with different styling for different types of posts, new CMS capabilities like archive pages for custom content types, a new Network Admin, an overhaul of the import and export system, and the ability to perform advanced taxonomy and custom fields queries.
- New Media Manager
- Beautiful interface: A streamlined, all-new experience
- Create galleries faster with drag-and-drop reordering, inline caption editing, and simplified controls
- Insert multiple images at once with Shift/Ctrl+click
- New Default Theme - Twenty Twelve
- Simple, flexible, elegant
- Mobile-first, responsive design
- Gorgeous Open Sans typeface
- Uses the latest Theme Features
- Admin Enhancements
- New Welcome Screen
- Retina-Ready (HiDPI) Admin
- Hide Link Manager for new installs
- Better accessibility for screenreaders, touch devices, and keyboard users
- More polish on admin screens, including a new color picker
- WPCommentQuery and WPUserQuery accept now meta queries just like WP_Query
- Meta queries now support querying for objects without a particular meta key
- Post objects are now instances of a WP_Post class, which improves performance and caching
- Multisite's switchtoblog() is now significantly faster and more reliable
- TinyMCE, jQuery, jQuery UI, and SimplePie have all been updated to the latest versions
- Image Editing API for cropping, scaling, etc., that uses ImageMagick as well as GD
- XML-RPC: Now always enabled and supports fetching users, managing post revisions, searching
- New "showadmincolumn" parameter for register_taxonomy() allows automatic creation of taxonomy columns on associated post-types.
- Switch to prompt text in QuickPress to accommodate longer translated input labels
- Button styles updated throughout Dashboard to more modern, rectangular shape
- Help Text improvements throughout
- Rename the "HTML" editor tab to "Text"
- Prevent child categories from being visually promoted to the top level after Quick Edit
- Add oEmbed suport for SoundCloud.com, SlideShare.net, and Instagram.com
- New Media Manager: Insert multiple galleries per post and independently order images
- Add visible focus within admin screens for better accessibility.
- Add "Skip to content" link to all screens in the admin.
- Add "Skip to toolbar" accessibility shortcut in the admin.
- Add ability to log out of user account without mouse input.
- Add "tab out" of the plugins and themes editors textareas.
- Link Manager is hidden for new installs and for any existing installs that have no links (all sites with existing links are left as is). This can be restored with Link Manager Plugin
- Display links in widget if no link categories
- Widgets menu is hidden if your theme hasn't defined any sidebars
- Improve display of available custom headers with jQuery Masonry
- Plugins favorited on WordPress.org can be viewed per user and directly installed from within the Dashboard. (Marking plugins as favorite on WordPress.Org)
- Display name defaults to first name and last name for new users
- Force the user to explicitly choose between content deletion and reassignment when deleting users
- Remove Settings Privacy Screen and relocate Search Engine Visibility option to Settings Reading Screen
- Remove oEmbed options from the Settings Media Screen. Width adheres to theme's content width, height is 1.5 times width
- Enable XML-RPC by default, remove Writing Settings option
- Remove AtomPub from core, can be re-enabled with a plugin
- Hide charset option in Settings Reading Screen in new installs, default to UTF-8
- Multisite installs now work with WordPress in a subdirectory
- Turn off ms-files.php by default
- File quotas disabled by default on new installs