Some of the basic features include full unicode support, ReplayGain support and native support for several popular audio formats.
- Audio formats supported: MP1, MP2, MP3, MP4, MPC, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC / Ogg FLAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, AU, SND, CDDA.
- Full unicode support.
- Advanced tagging capabilities.
- Support for transcoding all supported audio formats using the Converter component (requires external commandline encoder executables for different output formats).
- ReplayGain support - both playback and calculation.
- Customizable keyboard shortcuts.
- Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player.
- Converter: added AAC (iTunes), AAC (FDK) and AAC (Winamp/FhG) modes.
- Winamp/FhG mode added in beta 2.
- Updated FFmpeg to 2.3 [1.3.3 final].
- ReplayGain scanner: added an override for treating extreme peaks as errors.
- Default User Interface: improved handling of high DPI displays, added high-resolution button images.
- Corrected MP3 seeking performance regression from 1.3, file caching related.
- “Save Playlist” commands now remember the last used format [1.3.3 final].
- Added an option not to transfer tags when converting [1.3.3 final].
Software that can be used as an alternative to Foobar 2000: