Some of the basic features include full unicode support, ReplayGain support and native support for several popular audio formats.
- Audio formats supported: MP1, MP2, MP3, MP4, MPC, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC / Ogg FLAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, AU, SND, CDDA.
- Full unicode support.
- Advanced tagging capabilities.
- Support for transcoding all supported audio formats using the Converter component (requires external commandline encoder executables for different output formats).
- ReplayGain support - both playback and calculation.
- Customizable keyboard shortcuts.
- Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player.
- Made playback over HTTP automatically retry dropped connections.
- New ReplayGain playback mode picking album/track gain depending on current playback order.
- Improved handling of malformed AIFF files.
- Prevented “Open” etc dialog lockup when last used folder is on a nonworking net share referenced by raw IP.
- FFmpeg updated to 2.6.1
Software that can be used as an alternative to Foobar 2000: