Some of the basic features include full unicode support, ReplayGain support and native support for several popular audio formats.
- Audio formats supported: MP1, MP2, MP3, MP4, MPC, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC / Ogg FLAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, AU, SND, CDDA.
- Full unicode support.
- Advanced tagging capabilities.
- Support for transcoding all supported audio formats using the Converter component (requires external commandline encoder executables for different output formats).
- ReplayGain support - both playback and calculation.
- Customizable keyboard shortcuts.
- Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player.
- New high-quality but slow resampler based on dBpoweramp/SSRC code, as an alternative to fb2k's PPHS resampler.
- Prevented clobbering of certain exotic M4A tags.
- Smooth scrolling in Default User Interface list controls.
- Beta 2: made smooth scrolling disabled by default as it stalls visualisation updates. You can enable it in advanced preferences.
- Added missing menu command for the new ReplayGain playback mode.
- Added oversampled peak scanning in ReplayGain scanner.
- Beta 2: Added tweaks for ReplayGain peak results display, in advanced preferences.
- Fixed 96 kHz AAC & ALAC playback.
- Added whitelist of HTTPS domains to suppress certificate validity checks on, for home media streaming uses [beta 3].
- Added readable error messages about “Add location” failures [beta 3].
- Improved detection of total duration of Constant Bit Rate (CBR) MP3 files [beta 4].
- More robust recovery from network errors when playing MP3 & AAC internet radio streams [beta 5].
- Removed “LegacyDisable” key in file type associations handling as it's been known to cause problems with modern Windows versions [beta 5].
Software that can be used as an alternative to Foobar 2000: