This evaluation software is for personal and non-commercial use and intended to demonstrate the MP3 Surround technology available at Fraunhofer IIS. MP3 Surround provides a multi-channel listening experience with a minimum of extra bitrate and maximum compatibility.
What is MP3 Surround?
MP3 Surround is a format for storing compressed multi-channel audio material. It allows encoding multi-channel sound data in high quality at bit rates comparable to those currently used to encode stereo material. Most important, the new format is completely backward compatible to existing stereo MP3 software and devices.
Demo songs download: http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/amm/download/mp3surround/index.html
- Encoding and decoding of MP3 Surround files
- Full multi-channel capability (5.1 format)
- Complete backward compatibility to existing MP3 players and devices
- Data rates for multi-channel sound comparable to those for current stereo MP3
- Windows 2000 or Windows XP
- At least Pentium III 1 GHz or similar CPU
- At least 128 MB memory
- At least 30 MB of available hard-disk space
- DirectX 9.0 or later
- Soundcard with at least 5.1 channels and discrete output