Alternatively you can download the latest stable version of this software.
- Highest compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression
- 7-Zip is free software distributed under the GNU LGPL
- Supported formats: 7z, ZIP, CAB, RAR, ARJ, GZIP, BZIP2, TAR, CPIO, RPM and DEB
- For ZIP and GZIP formats 7-Zip provides compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format
- Integration with Windows Shell
- Powerful File Manager
- Powerful command line version
- Plugin for FAR Manager
- Localizations for 47 languages
- 7-Zip File Manager now can operate with alternate file streams at NTFS volumes via "File / Alternate Streams" menu command.
- 7-Zip now can extract .zipx (WinZip) archives that use xz compression.
- new optional "section size" parameter for BCJ2 filter for compression ratio improving.
- Example: -mf=BCJ2:d9M, if largest executable section in files is smaller than 9 MB.
- Speed optimizations for BCJ2 filter and SHA-1 and SHA-256 calculation.
- Console version now uses stderr stream for error messages.
- Console version now shows names of processed files only in progress line by default.
- new -bb[0-3] switch to set output log level. -bb1 shows names of processed files in log.
- new -bs[o|e|p][0|1|2] switch to set stream for output messages;
- o: output, e: error, p: progress line; 0: disable, 1: stdout, 2: stderr.
- new -bt switch to show execution time statistics.
- new -myx[0-9] switch to set level of file analysis.
- new -mmtf- switch to set single thread mode for filters.
The BUG was fixed:
- 7-Zip didn't restore NTFS permissions for folders during extracting from WIM archives.
- The command line version: if the command "rn" (Rename) was called with more than one pair of paths, 7-Zip used only first rename pair.
- Some bugs were fixed.
Software that can be used as an alternative to 7-Zip Alpha: