Avast! Free Antivirus Beta 9.0.2001
A-list freeware antivirus application.
Avast Free, an A-list freeware antivirus app, provides the same steadfast protection of well-known, pricier antivirus programs. Avast is remarkable for both its effectiveness and arguably providing the most complete free antivirus on the market.
Avast Free, formerly known as the Home Edition, protects you with multiple guards. The antivirus, antispyware, and heuristics engines form a security core that also includes multiple real-time shields. The adjustable mail and file system shields join the pre-existing behavior, network, instant messaging, peer-to-peer, and Web shields. The behavioral shield is a common-sense feature, as security software publishers leverage their large user bases to detect threats early and warn others. Other new features include a silent-gaming mode and an "intelligent scanner" that only looks at changed files after establishing a baseline. The biggest change in Avast, though, is the interface. Gone is the music player default look, which was skinnable but confusing. In its place is a sleek UI that new users should find far more manageable. It's also Aero-friendly, with Explorer-style navigation buttons in case you can't remember where you tweaked a particular setting.
- Win8 is unsupported by this build (but Win8 compatibility is coming soon, of course)
- Except English, there are many translation issues
- Automatic Profile detection in the firewall is broken Ė does not work on Win7
- No information popup on controlled PC when client is connected via avast! AccessAnywhere
- List of computers shows offline PCs and also those that donít have AccessAnywhere activated
- Self defence dialog appears when reinstalling over older builds
- After facebook registration setup might crash so reboot is required to start avast! service
- During softrial gui is not correctly updated
- Data shredder cannot shred files and partitions (GUI bug)
- There might be stability issues with Outlook plugins
- UI might hang sometimes during connecting to avast! account
- Some online content does not fit or is not translated yet
Recent in Antivirus
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Get free exclusive content, learn about new features and breaking tech news.