BabelPad is a free Unicode text editor for Windows that supports the proper rendering of most complex scripts, and allows you to assign different fonts to different scripts in order to facilitate multi-script text editing.
It also provides many useful features and special utilities, as described below. BabelPad supports the most recent version of the Unicode Standard, currently Unicode 6.2 (released September 2012).
Summary of Features
- Swap between Edit Mode and Browser Mode :
- Edit Mode allows documents of any size to be edited in plain text format.
- Browser Mode allows the current document to be viewed in an Internet Explorer browser window.
- The user interface menus and other text elements may be displayed in any of the following languages :
- Chinese (simplified)
- Chinese (traditional)
- Multiple instances of BabelPad may be tiled (horizontally, vertically or patchwork), cascaded, minimized, maximized, restored or closed from the "Window" menu of any open BabelPad window.
- Left-To-Right (LTR) or Right-To-Left (RTL) page layout.
- Line Wrap mode or No Line Wrap mode.
- Drag and Drop editing.
- Multiple Undo/Redo.
- Indent and Unindent selected lines of text using TAB and Shift-TAB.
- Option to Auto-Indent text as you type (useful for writing code).
- Select a "word" by double-clicking and navigate by "word" by means of the left/right arrows (works for most Unicode scripts).
- Select a line of text by left-clicking in the margin (select a paragraph by double-clicking in the margin).
- Find and Replace functions.
- Transcode from one list of characters or code points to another list of characters or code points
- Batch replace one list of text strings with another list of text strings
- Select default font and font size from dropdown list on the toolbar.
- Configure individual Unicode blocks to always use a particular font regardless of which font is currently selected for default display.
- Status Bar displays code point and Unicode name of the character at the current caret position.
- For CJK ideographs the status bar also displays the Mandarin, Korean or Vietnamese reading for the character at the current caret position (choice of reading is user-selectable).
- Able to open and edit very large (multi-megabyte) files with little degredation in performance.
- Standard printing functionality enabled.
- Utilises Microsoft's Uniscribe rendering engine to correctly render complex text.
- Option to render all Unicode characters as individual spacing glyphs (i.e. with no shaping or ligation of complex text, and combining characters not combined).
- Option to display text in different colours for different Unicode-defined scripts.
Tools and Utilities
- Font Analysis Utility : lists all Unicode blocks covered by a particular font or lists all fonts that cover a particular Unicode block.
- Font Information Utility : provides information about the currently selected font.
- Font Glyph Export Utility : export any or all glyphs from any font to file in BMP, GIF, JPG or PNG format.
- Font Coverage Utility : List all fonts that cover a particular character or all the characters in a piece of text or all the characters in the BabelMap edit buffer.
- Advanced Character Search Utility : lists all characters that meet specified criteria.
- UCD Data Utility : generates UCD-format data for a given range of characters for any version of Unicode.
- Character History Utility : enumerates the UCD properties for a given character for all versions of Unicode, including mappings to Unicode 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 where appropriate.
- Han Radical Lookup Utility : lists all Han ideographs with a given radical and number of strokes (covers all 74,616 characters in the CJK, CJK-A, CJK-B, CJK-C and CJK-D blocks).
- Mandarin Pinyin Lookup Utility : lists all Han ideographs with a given Mandarin pinyin pronunciation.
- Cantonese Jyutping Lookup Utility : lists all Han ideographs with a given Cantonese jyutping pronunciation.
- Yi Radical Lookup Utility : lists all Yi syllables with a given radical and number of strokes.
- Unicode Version History Utility : provides a summary of the repertoire of each version of Unicode from 1.0 onwards.
- Document Analysis Utility : provides statistical information about the current document, and highlights any invalid characters.
- Character Frequency Utility : lists all the characters in the document by frequency.
- Undefined Glyphs Utility : lists all characters in the document which are rendered with an undefined glyph using the currently selected font (not available when the composite font is selected).
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Receive a weekly update of our best features and tech news you don't want to miss: