Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.
Based on the powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
This project is mature. However, there may be still some bugs and missing features that are being worked on. If you have any questions or suggestions about this project, please post them in the forums. Also, if you wish to make a feature request, you can post it there as well. But there's no guarantee that I'll implement your request.
You're encouraged to translate Notepad++ into your native tongue if there's not already a translation present in the Binary Translations page. And if you want, help translating Notepad++ official site into your native tongue would be greatly appreciated.
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- User Defined Syntax Highlighting
- Regular Expression Search/Replace supported
- Full Drag ‘N' Drop supported
- Dynamic position of Views
- File Status Auto-detection
- Zoom in and zoom out
- Multi-Language environment supported
- Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting
- Macro recording and playback
By the request of community, a built-in Plugins Admin is available in Notepad++ v.7.6.1. Plugins Admin shows the list of available plugins, allows users to install new plugins and to update/remove installed plugins.
There are some changes, however, may create the impact for users who have non-default plugins installed after updating.
The change is about new organization of folder structure for plugins and simplification of plugins location. As result, some plugins won’t be loaded by Notepad++ after your update.
- Add Built-in Plugins Admins. Users can install, update and remove plugins by some clicks via Plugins Admin:
- Change plugin loading method: Remove the legacy plugin loading way and apply only the new plugin loading method.
- Add new message NPPM_GETPLUGINHOMEPATH in Notepad++ API for plugin, so plugin can get its path easily.
- Fix a regression of performance issue while word wrap option is enable.
- Fix a performance issue for switching back to folded document.
- Fix crash issue due to Unix style path input in Open file dialog.
- Fix UTF-8 detection problem: 4 byte characters UTF-8 character can be detected now.
- Enhance/Fix encoding detection/problem.
- Fix auto-indent issue by typing Enter on empty line.
- Fix "Close all but this" behaviour if multiple views are present and some files are dirty.
- Fix tool tip in document switcher showing the old name issue (after being renamed).
- Add autoit and lua autoCompletion.
Apps similar to Notepad++ 13
Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. You'll love the slick user interface, extraordinary features and amazing performance.
- Free to Try
- Free to Try
PilotEdit Lite is a free text editor that can edit huge files larger than 10GB.