Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.
Based on the powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
This project is mature. However, there may be still some bugs and missing features that are being worked on. If you have any questions or suggestions about this project, please post them in the forums. Also, if you wish to make a feature request, you can post it there as well. But there's no guarantee that I'll implement your request.
You're encouraged to translate Notepad++ into your native tongue if there's not already a translation present in the Binary Translations page. And if you want, help translating Notepad++ official site into your native tongue would be greatly appreciated.
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- User Defined Syntax Highlighting
- Regular Expression Search/Replace supported
- Full Drag ‘N' Drop supported
- Dynamic position of Views
- File Status Auto-detection
- Zoom in and zoom out
- Multi-Language environment supported
- Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting
- Macro recording and playback
- Add the ability to open the target file of a Shortcut (*.lnk).
- Enhance side panels behaviour: close a single panel instead of the entire stack.
- Fix Monitoring & document auto-update not scrolling to the end of the file with Word wrap enabled issue.
- Fix mouse cursor flicker while hovering URLs.
- Add back hovered blue underlined URLs.
- Enhance C++, Perl, Python parsers and add VHDL in Function List.
- Improve some ambiguous commands naming in Shortcut Mapper.
- Add an option to prevent right click from canceling selection.
- Add ability to sort lines randomly.
- Fix “Close All BUT this” looses current document data issue.
- Allow user to start making a stream selection and then change to column block (by pressing ALT key).
- Add word wrap option to find results context menu.
- Add keyboard navigation ability to Column Editor.
- Add keyboard shortcut ability to Projects, Folder as Workspace and Function List for switching among these panels.
- Enable project panels toggle from menu.
- Enhance Folder as Workspace to restore latest selected item of last session on Notepad++ startup.
- Fix inaccurate line margin update with word wrap enabled.
- Fix Find previous/next commands not scroll vertically to show match result issue (with word wrap disabled).
- Fix column key sort with col block starting in col1 bug.
- Add confirmation preference for Replace All in All Opened Documents operation.
- Add Escape keypress in functionlist searchbox to clear its text.
- Add RTL capability to localized messageboxes.
- Make (Find) dlgAlwaysVisible a true Preference setting.
- Fix sorting by column key using incorrect key values.
- Add search scope to Find window status bar output.
- Fix false hit result in Find in Finder.
- Prevent redundant line data copy in Finder.
Software similar to Notepad++ 14
Plugin Manager is a plugin for Notepad++ that allows you to install, update and remove plugins from Notepad++. A centrally hosted XML file holds the list of plugins, that the plugin manager downloads and processes against the list of installed plugins.
- Free to Try
Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. You'll love the slick user interface, extraordinary features and amazing performance.
- Free to Try