As featured in:
Notepad++ is a free text editor that provides additional features not found in the standard Windows text editor. It is specially designed for editing source code.
Based on the powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL, which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world's carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.
What is the difference between Notepad and Notepad++?
Notepad++ is an advanced version of Notepad, aimed at programmers, web designers, and IT professionals. It has basic IDE features but retains the familiarity of Notepad which is Windows' built-in text editor and very simple word processor.
What programming languages does Notepad++ support?
Is Notepad++ better than Sublime Text?
Both applications are powerful text editors, but the main difference is that Notepad++ is open source and free. Sublime Text offers a trial version but it costs $99 per license. Another important difference is that Notepad++ is only available on Windows, while Sublime Text is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It is worth mentioning that Sublime Text offers an evaluation version that you can use for free, but it will constantly ask you to purchase the license.
Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.
This project is mature. However, there may be still some bugs and missing features that are being worked on. If you have any questions or suggestions about this project, please post them in the forums. Also, if you wish to make a feature request, you can post it there as well. But there's no guarantee that I'll implement your request.
You're encouraged to translate Notepad++ into your native tongue if there's not already a translation present in the Binary Translations page. And if you want, help translating Notepad++ official site into your native tongue would be greatly appreciated.
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- User Defined Syntax Highlighting
- Regular Expression Search/Replace supported
- Full Drag 'N' Drop supported
- Dynamic position of Views
- File Status Auto-detection
- Zoom in and zoom out
- Multi-Language environment supported
- Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting
- Macro recording and playback
- Update Scintilla from v4.4.6 to v5.2.1 and add Lexilla v5.1.5. (Fix #10504)
- Enhance dark mode support (Shortcut Mapper, autocompletion, calltip, Column Editor and Style configurator, Preferences dialog, etc…) (Fix #11530, #11522, #11407, #11514, #11506, #11497)
- Fix losing characters issue after case-conversion (UPPER/lower). (Fix #11463)
- Fix "Sort Lines as Integer" not considering negative number issue. (Fix #11023, #2025)
- Sort languages alphabetically automatically in Style Configurator. (Fix #11337)
- Fix flashing box (autocompletion empty list) appears while typing issue. (Fix #9433)
- Scrolling Document List automatically to make the selected tab item visible. (Fix #11204)
- Make Find in Files search result line number aligned. (Fix #11119)
- Add default A-Z sorting ability in Function list. (Fix #11446)
- Add virtual space ability. (Fix #11443, #11444)
- Fix document being wrongly marked as saved bug after converting its encoding. (Fix #11436)
- Fix Document list not sync with tab order after sorting. (Fix #11272)
- Fix file saving critical bug under Symantec encryption desktop. (Fix #11339)
- Fix cropped text in Shortcut mapper's status area issue. (Fix #10358)
- Enhance installer: Remember the chosen language in the previous installation. (Implement #10582)
- Improve Find/Replace Dialog layout. (Fix #11318)
- Update NSIS & Inno Setup keyword lists.
Note: Notepad++ 7.9.2 is the last version to run on Windows XP.
Software similar to Notepad++ 22
A source code editor for Windows, Linux and macOS. It includes support for debugging, Git control, syntax highlighting, intelligent code completion, snippets, and code refactoring.
Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose. You'll love the slick user interface, extraordinary features and amazing performance.
- Free to Try
A hackable text editor for the 21st Century.
- Free to Try
More similar downloads