Start a project
You’ll find all the projects you’re working on listed in the sidebar. If you’re starting a new project, use the repository drop down menu to create a new repository or clone an existing one directly from GitHub.com.
Branches are essential to proposing changes and reviewing code on GitHub—and they’re always available in the top left corner of the repository view. Just select the current branch to switch branches or create a new one.
Craft the perfect commit
View a diff of your uncommitted changes, and form the perfect commit by selecting the files—or even the specific lines—that make up a change. Enter the summary and description, then commit.
See your history
Visualize your changes and commits in the comparison graph. You can select commits on the graph to navigate through the history of your local branches.
Create a pull request
Once you’re happy with your commits, you can open a pull request for review and discussion without leaving GitHub Desktop or touching the command line.
Merge and deploy
Browse commits on local and remote branches to quickly and clearly see what changes still need to be merged. You can also merge your code to the master branch for deployment right from the app.
- Improved: Updated git-lfs.
- Improved: Partially selected files are indicated in the changes list.
- Improved: Selected line color is now slightly lighter.
- Improved: Highlighting of changed ranges across multiple lines.
- Added: Use the comparison graph to compare two branches and keep them in sync.
- Added: Selecting a file selects all of its lines.
- Added: Highlight when hovering over already-selected lines on the Changes tab.
- Added: Buttons to open or show conflicted files.
- Added: Branch menu, with items to rename, delete, merge, and publish branches.
- Fixed: Refreshing GitHub info would fail for users with Enterprise 11.x.
- Fixed: Potential crash when viewing a diff.
- Fixed: Potential crash after selecting a commit to view.
- Fixed: Crash while trying to view a diff if the file's path cannot be determined.
- Fixed: Some operations hanging when an error occurred.
- Fixed: Sync not (ahem) syncing when there was an untracked submodule.
- Fixed: Poor performance when determining local commits.
- Fixed: Ignored files being displayed in subdirectories.
- Fixed: Potential crash when verifying SSH keys.
- Fixed: Potential crash when determining if the current branch is from the upstream repository.
- Fixed: Potential crash when viewing a commit.
- Fixed: Partial selections sometimes not being committed.
- Fixed: File checkboxes appearing mixed even when no lines are selected.
- Fixed: Potential crash when logging in.
- Fixed: Copy SHA not copying the SHA. Whoops.
- Fixed: Committing renamed files.
- Fixed: Split view position on the Changes and History tabs being forgotten between launches.
- Fixed: Potential crash when viewing changed files.
- Fixed: Potential crash when closing a window.
- Fixed: Crash when discarding changes if user.email is empty or contains angled brackets.
- Fixed: Decreased performance after opening lots of pull requests.
- Fixed: Decreased performance after opening lots of repositories.
- Fixed: Repositories not being published under the selected team.
- Fixed: Repository list resizing when closing the pull request pane.
- Fixed: Potential crash when the last opened directory is no longer a repository.
- Fixed: Previously closed windows always being re-opened after launching the app.
- Fixed: Decreased performance after opening Repository Settings.