This powerful, multi-platform Git client assists Git newbies as well as it makes experienced developers more productive.
Does SmartGit support GitHub?
Yes, SmartGit works with different Git repositories like GitHub, Bitbucket (and BitBucket Server), GitLab, Azure DevOps, or other hosting providers.
What are the best SmartGit alternatives?
Is SmartGit free?
SmartGit is free for non-commercial use by open-source developers or students. For commercial use you will need to buy a license or a subscription.
Is SmartGit compatible with Linux?
Yes, SmartGit runs on 64-bit systems of Windows, macOS and Linux.
- Graphical merge and commit history
- Drag and drop commit reordering, merging or rebase
Use your SmartGit license on as many machines and operating systems you like. SmartGit is free for non-commercial use and runs on macOS, Windows and Linux.
No need to install and configure additional tools.
- Command line Git client (Windows, macOS)
- Graphical Merge and Commit History
- File Compare
- File Merge ("Conflict Solver")
Adapt to Your Needs and Workflows.
A commercial Git client should support your work-flows. You can customize SmartGit in various ways:
- Preferences for Merging, Rebasing
- Layout of certain views,
- External tools,
- External or built-in Compare or Conflict Solver tools,
- Keyboard shortcuts,
- Syntax coloring,
- Light and dark themes
Interacting with popular platforms.
SmartGit comes with special integrations for GitHub, BitBucket and BitBucket Server (former Atlassian Stash) to create and resolve Pull Requests and Review Comments.
Of course, you can use SmartGit like any other Git client with your own Git repositories or other hosting providers (e.g. GitLab).
Focus on what is really important: SmartGit/Hg will ask only when it needs a decision, but doesn't bother you with underlying technical constraints.
There is no need to install and configure additional tools: SmartGit/Hg comes with a built-in SSH client, a File Compare and 3-Way-Merge.
Reorder commits before pushing, commit individual lines within a file, resurrect lost commits and many more.
One for all.
Use SmartGit/Hg for Git, Mercurial or SVN. On Mac, Windows and Linux. Purchase once and use on all of your favorite platforms.
Clone from GitHub, Assembla and other hosting providers. Identify team-mate commits by their gravatars.
See your repository state at one glance: your working tree, Git's Index, available branches, which commits need to be pushed.
- GitHub email address confirmation dialog: selecting the *Always use default email address* radio button wrote empty email address to '.git/config'
- Azure DevOps: OAuth-authentication for repository was broken (unless Git config "useHttpPath" was set)
- Investigate: under certain unclear conditions an internal error could occur when closing the Investigate window
- Standard window:
- Commit: should not allow to create empty commit even if repository is empty
- several problems with forced light theme on dark system theme
- the background color of the Std, Directories table is dark gray instead of light gray
- the caret in text fields is not visible
- the preferences tree uses light foreground on light background for the selected node
- macOS: click-dragging a table item might cause an internal error under unclear conditions
Other Noteworthy Changes
- Graph layout: reduced memory consumption
- Added low-level properties github.userQuery.* to fine-tune/debug query-sizes
Installation Instructions for Windows
- if you have an older SmartGit version installed, exit SmartGit (use Project|Exit; there should be no more SmartGit tray icon),
- unpack the downloaded file,
- launch the installer and follow the instructions
Installation Instructions for Mac
- if you have an older SmartGit version installed, quit SmartGit,
- unpack the downloaded file (e.g. by double clicking it) and move the application directory structure to a directory of your choice (typically /Applications)
- if you prefer, drag'n'drop the application to the dock to create an icon
Installation Instructions for Linux
- unpack the downloaded file into a directory of your choice,
- ensure, that the correct Java Runtime Environment is installed on your system,
- start the application by using the launcher script from the bin directory
If the application fails to start, e.g. because you have an incompatible JRE version on your system, it might be necessary to set the SMARTGITJAVAHOME environment variable to the root path of the Java Runtime Environment 1.6 from SUN. To create an icon on your desktop, you'll find suitable images in different sizes in the bin directory.
Software similar to SmartGit 5
GitHub Desktop is a seamless way to contribute to projects on GitHub and GitHub Enterprise.
- Windows, macOS, Android
A free Git and Mercurial client for Windows or Mac.
- Windows, macOS
The legendary Git GUI client for Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Windows, macOS, Linux
More similar downloads