This powerful, multi-platform Git client has the same intuitive user interface on Windows, macOS and Linux:
- graphical merge and commit history
- drag and drop commit reordering, merging or rebase
Use your SmartGit license on as many machines and operating systems you like. SmartGit is free for non-commercial use and runs on macOS, Windows and Linux.
No need to install and configure additional tools.
- command line Git client (Windows, macOS)
- Graphical Merge and Commit History
- File Compare
- File Merge ("Conflict Solver")
Adopt to Your Needs and Workflows.
A commercial Git client should support your work-flows. You can customize SmartGit in various ways:
- Preferences for Merging, Rebasing
- Layout of certain views,
- External tools,
- External or built-in Compare or Conflict Solver tools,
- Keyboard shortcuts,
- Syntax coloring,
- Light and dark themes
Interacting with popular platforms.
SmartGit comes with special integrations for GitHub, BitBucket and BitBucket Server (former Atlassian Stash) to create and resolve Pull Requests and Review Comments.
Of course, you can use SmartGit like any other Git client with your own Git repositories or other hosting providers (e.g. GitLab).
Focus on what is really important: SmartGit/Hg will ask only when it needs a decision, but doesn't bother you with underlying technical constraints.
There is no need to install and configure additional tools: SmartGit/Hg comes with a built-in SSH client, a File Compare and 3-Way-Merge.
Reorder commits before pushing, commit individual lines within a file, resurrect lost commits and many more.
One for all.
Use SmartGit/Hg for Git, Mercurial or SVN. On Mac, Windows and Linux. Purchase once and use on all of your favorite platforms.
Clone from GitHub, Assembla and other hosting providers. Identify team-mate commits by their gravatars.
See your repository state at one glance: your working tree, Git's Index, available branches, which commits need to be pushed.
- Support for macOS 11 Big Sur
- SmartGit 20.2 is the first SmartGit version that supports macOS 11 Big Sur (with x86-64 processors).
- Drag and Drop of Refs between Branches and Graph view
- Dragging commits and refs in the Graph view works since ages. Now you also can drag commits or refs between the Branches view and Graph view for merging, rebasing or updating refs.
- Improved Syntax Coloring
- For many languages the syntax coloring in the File Compare has been improved. Syntax support for ANTLR, Dart, Innosetup scripts, Nim, Shell scripts, Swift, V, ... has been added.
- Subtree Support
- SmartGit already supported working with (existing) subtrees. Now, subtrees will be denoted in the Branches view and the Log Graph. Also, subtree operations, like Add, Merge and Split have been added.
- Enhanced Graph Filtering
- When filtering the Graph view, the filter options and actions now are better accessible. Filtering for an SHA works instantly now.
- Graph: Faster Navigation
- Using a single click or Alt+Home gets you to the HEAD. Another single click or Alt+Home reveals the Working Tree node. Alt+Left (similar to browsers) gets you back to the previously selected commit.
- If unchanged, the Working Tree node will hide automatically if HEAD changes, e.g. after switching to another branch or committing.
- Enhanced Commit view
- The Commit view now supports all options of the old Commit dialog.
- It also shows the gravatar image of the committing user. A single click allows to open the Repository Settings to change it.
- Discard to Stash
- When discarding local changes, you now have the option to move them into a stash instead of overwriting.
- Support for UTF-32
- Feel free to use emojis or other UTF-32 characters in your code.
Installation Instructions for Windows
- if you have an older SmartGit version installed, exit SmartGit (use Project|Exit; there should be no more SmartGit tray icon),
- unpack the downloaded file,
- launch the installer and follow the instructions
Installation Instructions for Mac
- if you have an older SmartGit version installed, quit SmartGit,
- unpack the downloaded file (e.g. by double clicking it) and move the application directory structure to a directory of your choice (typically /Applications)
- if you prefer, drag'n'drop the application to the dock to create an icon
Installation Instructions for Linux
- unpack the downloaded file into a directory of your choice,
- ensure, that the correct Java Runtime Environment is installed on your system,
- start the application by using the launcher script from the bin directory
If the application fails to start, e.g. because you have an incompatible JRE version on your system, it might be necessary to set the SMARTGITJAVAHOME environment variable to the root path of the Java Runtime Environment 1.6 from SUN. To create an icon on your desktop, you'll find suitable images in different sizes in the bin directory.
Software similar to SmartGit 5
GitHub Desktop is a seamless way to contribute to projects on GitHub and GitHub Enterprise.
A free Git and Mercurial client for Windows or Mac.
The legendary Git GUI client for Windows, Mac and Linux.