This firmware update is recommended for all 17-inch MacBook Pro (Early 2009) users and addresses the appearance of vertical lines or distorted graphics on the notebook display.
You should download and install the MacBook Pro Graphics Firmware Update 1.0 on your MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009) computer. The update addresses the possibility of vertical lines or distorted graphics on the display.
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009)
There are two parts to this process:
1. Installing the firmware update application onto your hard drive.
2. Using the firmware update application to update your graphics subsystem firmware.
Before you begin, your MacBook Pro must be plugged into a working power source, and the battery must be charged to at least 50%. Some USB and FireWire devices may prevent firmware updates from installing correctly. Disconnect non-essential devices for the best install experience.
This update requires a Macintosh-formatted disk or partition and an administrator password.
1. Close any open applications.
2. Download the MacBook Pro Graphics Firmware Update 1.0. The download will place a disk image that contains an installer into your default download location.
Note: If you downloaded the update using Safari, Safari will notify you that an application is contained in the image. Click OK to continue.
3. If "Open safe files after downloading" is selected in Safari preferences, the disk image file will mount by itself. If that preference is not enabled in Safari, double-click the disk image to mount it.
4. Double-click the graphics firmware update disk image to open it.
5. Double-click the MBPGraphicsFWUpdate1.0.pkg file.
6. Read the introduction, then click Continue.
7. After reading the licensing agreement, click Continue.
8. To agree to its terms, click Agree.
9. Click Install to install the update application to the folder path /Applications/Utilities.
10. You will be asked for your administrator password. Enter the password and click OK.
11. After the software successfully installs to your hard drive, an Installation Completed Successfully message appears. Click Close to start the updater application.
12. Read the onscreen firmware update installation instructions, then click Restart in the MacBook Pro Graphics Firmware Update window and wait for your computer to restart. If asked to re-enter your administrator password, enter the password and click OK.
13. After the restart, the firmware update starts automatically. A status bar indicates the progress of the update.
Important: Do not interrupt the update. Do not press any keys on the keyboard or hold down the trackpad or mouse button during the update. The installation may take several minutes.
14. Your computer will restart automatically when the update completes, and a dialog will confirm your firmware is now up-to-date.
To determine if your MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009) has successfully installed this update, follow these steps:
1. From the Apple () menu choose About this Mac.
2. Click More Info... to open the System Profiler.
3. In the Hardware section of the System Profile, select Graphics/Displays.
4. If you have successfully applied the update, the gMux Version should be 1.7.10.
Here's other similar drivers that are different versions or releases for different operating systems: