Western Digital Universal Firmware Update Utility 188.8.131.52C
Important: The following precautions should be taken before installing the firmware update.
- Before updating the firmware on your drive, make sure you have a copy of all the data on your drive stored on a separate device.
- An available USB port on your computer is required. Your drive MUST be connected to your computer through the USB port to update the firmware.
- If you are using a laptop, please make sure the battery is sufficiently charged
- During the firmware update, DO NOT disconnect or disrupt the power to the drive.
- All AntiVirus software MUST be disabled.
- All Anti-Spyware software MUST be disabled.
- ANY and ALL programs that would require drive access during the update MUST be disabled .
- An internet connection is required to install the firmware update.
- Disconnect all other external drives from the computer except for one My Book or My Passport.
- Download WDFirmwareUpdater.zip to your desktop.
- Extract the file using an extraction utility.
- Once extracted, double-click on the file named WDFirmwareUpdater.exe.
- Click "Continue."
- Click "Accept" on EULA.
- Please wait a few minutes until the required update modules are downloaded.
- If the drive displayed is the correct drive, click "Update Firmware."
- Please wait a few minutes while your drive's firmware is updated.
- Click "Exit."
- Please remove the USB and power cable. Wait 10 seconds and then connect the power cable and USB cable.
- Reboot your computer.
Note: Before proceeding with your driver installation we suggest you make sure you are installing the latest version available and for the appropriate model/revision and Operating System. We strongly suggest following 'readme' instructions for installing drivers when available. Often restarting your system will be necessary for the new driver to become active and start functioning properly.
Downloads and Drivers
Subscribe to TechSpot
Receive a weekly update of our best features and tech news you don't want to miss: