Crysis 2, Rage release dates revealed

By on August 16, 2010, 12:27 PM
We already knew Crysis 2 would not be arriving in time for the holiday shopping season, but the folks over at Crytek have finally given us a solid release date for the hotly anticipated sci-fi shooter. According to the company's Twitter feed, the game is set for a multi-platform release on March 22 in the United States and March 25 in Europe. If recent gameplay footage shared by the developer is anything to go by, Crysis 2 may very well be worth the wait.

Set in a crumbling Manhattan invaded by aliens, the game promises impressive visuals courtesy of Crytek's CryEngine 3, support for stereoscopic 3D, and a compelling story penned by sci-fi writer Richard Morgan. Demos of both the Xbox 360 and PC versions will be playable at GamesCom 2010 later this week, giving users a taste of things to come.

In other gaming news, publisher Bethesda has confirmed a distant but still hopefully concrete release date for its open-world shooter Rage -- September 13 in the U.S. and two days later in Europe. This will be id Software's first game using the new id Tech 5 engine and will also make its way to the iPhone platform.

Crysis 2 running on a 360 and looking better than most PC games... holy frackin shiz!!!

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

It's amazing how good this games graphics are running on consoles with what looks like a really smooth framerate. The only thing i noticed right away was that Crysis 1(PC) looks far better than Crysis 2 consoles. I can see alot of screentearing, etc in the video. When I heard they were making a console version i was afraid it was going to be a 360 port which always ends horribly i hope it's not.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

"...the game is set for a multi-platform release on March 22."

GOOD. That should give me enough time to work my way through at least a few of the dozens of damn games I've bought from Steam sales over the last year. :p

... and it should give enough time to gather some money to upgrade the pc (again) lol

Demo of Crysis 2 this week?

O_O

Staff
Jos Jos said:

Demo of Crysis 2 this week?

O_O

Yep. At the GamesCom event in Germany, NOT as a download available to the general public unfortunately.

thirdeyeop3n said:

I'm pretty sure this is the PC version, they are using a Microsoft xbox controller though.

lulz, was that an iPhone ad on the wall before he jumps across the room?

On another note..... whoever was playing that particular segment really sucked... must have been on carebear mode. :P gtx460>xbox360/ps3 graphics

bugejakurt said:

An impressive, totaly incredible game.

@guest true about GTX460>360/PS3 but if your going to do it do it all, you missed :-

GTX 460>Georgeforman Grill

;)

Kel

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Pretty amazing presentation. Now we know Crytek can deliver on the graphics and tech fronts, but here's to hoping they accomplish an equally outstanding job in the AI department.

I was a big fan of their original work in Far Cry (1) and Crysis was pretty good, too, but in strict terms of gameplay it wasn't as big of an advance IMO.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

The Graphics there are not the PC version, was watching an interview on gamespot with crytek and they are deliberately showing the xbox 360 and ps3 versions. Am looking forward to seeing it run on PC though!

Crysis 1 is one of my fave games, it even goes up there with half-life2, mass effect, orginal supreme commander, TF2, Timesplitters, Red Faction 2 and lastly GTA Vice City

Cannot wait for this.

Leeky Leeky said:

I have to say I love Crysis too. I'm on the final part now, but the big monster keeps grinding my game to a halt and causing it to BSOD. I've now tried to finish the game about 20 times, I think its all too much for my GPU to handle everything going on at the same time - Even on min settings its still BSOD'ing! I've never even seen my Win7 do that until now! Grr! lol.

Looks like I'll be needing that GTX460 to finish it! haha. I'll be ready for Crysis2!

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Problem I had with that part, Leeky, forced me to drop to DX9 just for that fight - once he's dead - save, exit, switch back to DX10, finish yet another boss. It's a memory leak on the DX10 path with that boss only.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

LNCPapa said:

Strange? I don't get that error and i'm using a GTX260 in DX10? What graphics cards do you and Leeky have?

Leeky Leeky said:

I'm running a HD 4670 currently. LNC's comments hold some sway though, as it handled everything else absolutely fine, and running DX10 too.

Though that said, I am only using 2GB RAM right now, as my Studio quad core is borrowing 2GB from this one. But it did the last two levels, with about 300MB free. I'm guessing the BSOD's are either GPU or RAM related.

But how do you change to DX9? LOL.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Leeky said:

But how do you change to DX9? LOL.

Within the windows 7 game menu, instead of double clicking the game to run it, right click and you will get the option to "run in DX9" and "run in DX10"

Once you click either the game will load in the DX version that you choose.

Ok klkl, I was just wondering is all if LNDpapa has an ATI maybe the game has a memory leak specific to ati drivers? strange one that though.

Leeky Leeky said:

Once you click either the game will load in the DX version that you choose.

Thanks for that mate.

I'll have a go later on then.

Thank you also to LNC for the initial suggestion.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Yeah - I'm using an ATI card and it would go nuts only on the next to last boss. I would leave my taskmanager running in the background and see my memory usage take off when I started fighting him. If I dropped it back to DX9 just for him it was fine. I haven't played through Warhead yet to see if anything like that happens. I did notice that the Crysis executable would reach 3.7GB before it keeled over.

Leeky Leeky said:

It might have been fine had I been playing with my usual 4GB RAM then. Least I now know how to play with DX9, which is probably more suitable for me with my current GPU anyway. So it's all good.

I beat the boss, then something killed me immediately afterwards... So I'll have another go later on. I'm on evening meal duty now unfortunately. lol.

Crytek has announced that their main objective would be to make the greatest looking PC game possible, so for anyone who thinks the PC version is going to be an Xbox 360 or PS3 port, rest easy. I recently read an article about this subject, and Crytek replied, stating that with their engine, Cryengine 3, there is no such thing as "porting", because anything that they do in the editor is done in 3 modes (PC, Xbox 360, and PS3) and they all have different levels of graphics (Obviously the most graphically advanced is the PC mode) and that no version will have the same graphical level. This means that Crytek is totally decking out the PC version with the greatest possible graphics, better than Crysis and Crysis Warhead, and now it will be more optimized than them too. We've only seen Xbox 360 previews/graphics because the console community is supposedly larger than the PC community, and it would then be wise to try the hardest to appeal to them, so Crytek hasn't even shown off Cryengine 3 at it's fullest, which I will refer to as the PC version from now on. There will be a PC version, not just a console port.

I hope this comment helps suppress some "porting fears". Crysis 2 will be awesome!