Leaked: Duke Nukem Forever for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

By on June 7, 2011, 10:31 PM

A few hours ago, Duke Nukem Forever leaked to private torrent sites, and now it has arrived on public torrent sites as well. The English version is thus available a full week in advance of its release for both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360.

The PS3 version is courtesy of the Scene group Duplex while the Xbox 360 version comes from the Scene group Complex. The game is also available for Windows, but at the time of writing, it has not leaked for the third platform. Nevertheless, this will either make or break the game: early adopters will surely spread the word on whether the game is worth buying.

Gamers have waited over a decade to play the official sequel to Duke Nukem. The title was originally announced by 3D Realms in 1997. The project experienced all types of problems, however, and it was passed over to Triptych Games and Gearbox Software in 2009, with multiplayer components provided by Piranha Games.

Half a year ago, Gearbox confirmed that development on the title was being completed. Given how long the game had been in such a state (some 14 years), there were still many skeptics. Then the game was demoed live, but many would still not believe.

Five months ago, the game was given a set of release dates: May 3, 2011 in North America and May 6, 2011 in the rest of the world. Two months ago, this was pushed back to June 14 in North America, and on June 10 in the rest of the world.

Last month, the official PC requirements were released. This was followed by an announcement that the game is coming to OnLive, meaning you can skip the requirements if you want. Finally, the companies announced that the game has gone gold. A demo was released for some earlier this month.

dotVezz said:

Gotta say, this is both surprising and not surprising at all.

Good for people who can use it (not me though... no console here)

I'd laugh if it's actually been distributed by Gearbox this way and they are just using is as marketing.

be_patient said:

I'm really getting sick of all these games/developers getting hacked/leaked.

tacobfm said:

Y u no leak for pc.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Until someone plays it I don't believe in its existence.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Haha, I've played the PC demo, it's real, it plays well, looks a bit dated but I'm glad Duke is back.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Yea, I've played the PC Demo too, was good fun (tho a bit short)

I preordered the PC version of the game for the second time in my life yesterday after playing the demo

First time I preordered it was around '98 or so, don't have the receipt sadly

ramonsterns said:

PC Gaming is finished thanks to all those nasty pirates we have, I see why all the developers like to kiss up to the consoles.

Oh wait, just kidding.

Just hang / execute pirates and your piracy problem will be history.

ramonsterns said:

Just hang / execute pirates and your piracy problem will be history.

Sure, bro.

But I think there's other people in the front of the line who need to go first.

Pirates don't leak IP's... employees do.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I played the demo. Old gameplay, terrible driving level, not very funny. Graphics poor. Cod style health regen. Nothing new, nothing that makes you think "oh that's cool". Where are all the hidden secrets, the concentration of enemies that would bring about epic firefights on lvl1? My mate agrees and we used to live on wireplay and dn3d. Forever isn't worth 30quid. **** nostalgia, based on the demo its a poor game. Very dissappointing.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Doesn't it even qualify in the "It's so bad, It's good" catagory?

Because that's where the Duke's like to normally sit.

Pretty much. I've played the demo as well and was expecting a nice trip down nostalgia lane with the ability to carry than two guns health packs instead of regenerating health and less than pathetic HP (At one point during the demo you need to shoot down a small aircraft, however a round of shots from it would put me on critical health! So it was a case of trading blows and then hiding till my health regenerated...).

It seems as though Duke Nukem Forever is somewhere between Duke Nukem 3D, and every other FPS churned out today, without being as good or matching up to either.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Benny26 said:

Doesn't it even qualify in the "It's so bad, It's good" catagory?

Because that's where the Duke's like to normally sit.

When Duke 3D came out it was well ahead of the pack. Where Doom was of course excellent, Duke had jetpacks and trip mines with some deathmatch games taking place flying between different sky scrapers. There have been a few side scrolling games since then and I have avoided them. Duke was a good character but what made him great was the game he was in. I can see why they never got round to releasing it before but its one of those things where maybe they shouldn't have bothered.

I question whether its as bad as daikatana. But I guess no one was saying Duke Nukem Forever was going to be good - it was released just to release it. But £29.99? Crazy.

pcnthuziast said:

When vapor becomes a steaming turd... explain that Hawking! smh lol

ramonsterns said:

pcnthuziast said:

When vapor becomes a steaming turd... explain that Hawking! smh lol

A wizard did it.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I always felt this game was going to be a dog. Too much hype, too long in development, too many fingers in the pie and the concept of the game has outgrown it's novelty from what - 15 years ago? So I'll wait until I see it in the $5.00 bin on Steam a year from now.

As far as the pirating, it just makes me wonder how long before major developers say "screw it" and go with Farmville type games instead and leave the whole PC/console gaming and pirating behind. Plenty of money to be made in those types of casual Facebook games.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

When vapor becomes a steaming turd... explain that Hawking! smh lol

The scientific term is deposition. =)

Although I think you're describing the scenario when you think you're just going to fart, but end up crapping your pants. I'm sure there is a word for it in German.

edit by LNCPapa: Still a family friendly forum

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I don't think this will really hurt DNF, it's been 14 years now and I would guess majority of gamers already made up their minds if they want it or not.

Regarding the game, I too played the demo and enjoyed it. Just wish Duke could carry more then two guns =/ .

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

edit by LNCPapa: Still a family friendly forum

I actually assumed it would be autocensored, my bad. Should have said evacuated. (Thanks to The Wire for teaching me how to properly use that word).

ddg4005 ddg4005 said:

So much for consoles being the more secure platform for gaming.

ddg4005 ddg4005 said:

gwailo247 said:

edit by LNCPapa: Still a family friendly forum

Ah yes The Wire. Love that show.

ramonsterns said:

TomSEA said:

Actually, there isn't.

They'll make a clone and fail.

See World of Warcraft.

treetops treetops said:

I played the demo and it was great! For some reason a lot of people talk about the demo as if any demo released before a game ever has been a full representation of the game. I can't wait for the release! I'm on pc so I couldn't pirate the single player if I wanted too.

treetops treetops said:

By the way I read DNF will have 10x more single player content then any call of duty ever released.

ramonsterns said:

treetops said:

Not to burst your bubble, but any non-modern FPS or non-multiplayer oriented game has 10x more singleplayer content than CoD games. This is why I laugh at and ridicule anyone who buys CoD for the story.