AT&T not budging on iPhone 4 upgrade eligibility

By on October 5, 2011, 5:30 PM

AT&T isn’t allowing iPhone 4 users under contract to upgrade to the iPhone 4S at subsidized pricing announced by Apple yesterday. The company has previously adjusted upgrade eligibility dates to coincide with new hardware launches, such as when iPhone 3GS users moved to the iPhone 4 in 2010.

Online reports claim that AT&T reps are being told to tell customers that Apple is to blame for this. I decided to give AT&T a call and find out for myself.

As an iPhone 4 early adopter, I’m not eligible for an upgrade until February 2012. The chatty AT&T rep I spoke to confirmed that I wasn’t eligible as I already knew. I asked if AT&T planned to change the upgrade eligibility date as they did with past launches so current iPhone 4 users could upgrade at the subsidized pricing.

The rep said there are currently no plans, but they had been receiving information in all day and I was urged to check back on Monday. Furthermore, the AT&T rep told me that “everyone there” expected an iPhone 5, perhaps hinting that a moderate upgrade wasn’t enough for AT&T to bend the rules again.

I further questioned the rep about the 18 month upgrade eligibility rule. He said it used to be based on how much your month bill was but that policy had since been changed due to unfair use on family plans. Now there is a uniform 18 month policy in place.

The operator said I was the 32 caller he took today. Of the 32, three were related to billing issues and one was for tech support. The remaining 28 calls were all regarding the iPhone 4S.

I am an early adopter and my eligibility date is Nov 18th. At least I don't have to wait until Feb 2012.

1977TA said:

GJ AT&T, F the existing customers! We just want new ones.

IF you are an iPhone user I would suggest waiting for the iPhone 5.

or

Switch to Sprint :|

Chazz said:

Honestly? I want another windows phone when the newer ones come out, I never once assumed that ATT should bend to my will and push my date up so I can get myself a new phone. They were generous before, don't expect it. That's childish.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

I ripped on you many many times, but you truly were an innovator, and led us to many milestones in personal computing. It's a sad day.

Lurker101 said:

I don't think Steve Jobs will be available to comment on this story.

Seriously though, he was innovative and influential man and this is a serious loss to the tech industry. I think that the majority of Mac users would benefit heavily from drinking turps, but even I mourn his death.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Wendig0 said:

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

My feelings exactly. I had frequent disagreements with what he did, but he had a vision and he followed it through.

I'm honestly very sad right now, which I did not expect to be, knowing that this day would eventually come. A lot more cool shit could have come from that man's mind, stuff that at the very least would inspire others to try to do as well or better.

yorro said:

Where is Techspot when Steve Jobs died?

Lurker101 said:

We're on the rest of the internet making jokes. We've mourned and moved on.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

yorro said:

Where is Techspot when Steve Jobs died?

What do you mean? Did you not see the article that was posted almost an hour before your post? They first had to hear the news, then confirm it, then write an article, proof-read it, edit it, and post it. Techspot posted the article within an hour of the news breaking out. So...yeah. There's your answer :P

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

I may not have embraced his work (honestly I never preferred Apple products) but that doesn't stop me from recognizing his intelligence, undying passion, nor his unmatched salesmanship.

I'm a PC, but today I stop and remember a truly great man who has left behind a legacy none can ever match. Farewell Steve, may you rest in the peace.