EA voted the worst company in America, awarded a Golden Poo

By on April 5, 2012, 7:30 AM

Continuing the backlash over EA's recent blunders, users have voted the publisher as America's worst company of 2012. Conducted by Consumerist.com, the annual poll pits 32 companies against each other in a weekly faceoff. To earn its title, EA trumped Sony, Best Buy, Comcast, AT&T and the runner up, Bank of America. As the "winner," the gaming outfit will receive a "Golden Poo" trophy. In previous contests, other finalists received equally demoralizing Bronze and Silver Poos.

Readers have mixed feelings about the outcome, with many noting that companies like Bank of America have undoubtedly had a greater overall negative impact on consumers. It's tough to argue that a bank's worst offenses outweigh a game publisher's. In that respect, it's safe to say EA isn't necessarily the "worst" company in America, but it's certainly one of the most hated. Recent controversy surrounding Mass Effect 3 surely contributed to and perhaps clinched EA's position in the polls.

Gamers who voted for EA over Bank of America believe "award" might change the former's behavior, whereas the latter would casually dismiss such criticism. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. "We're sure that bank presidents, oil, tobacco, and weapons companies are all relieved they weren't on the list this year. We’re going to continue making award-winning games and services played by more than 300 million people worldwide," said EA representative John Reseburg.

Contrasting the Consumerist poll, Reseburg noted that EA subsidiary BioWare recently made it to the finals of Escapist Magazine's "Best Developer" competition, beaten only by Valve. He also mentioned praise from the Human Rights Campaign, which is distributing a petition supporting EA's "decision to have developers include same-sex relationships in recent games." It was to be expected that EA would downplay the hostility, but hopefully it's quietly taking the criticism to heart.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Finally an award EA has worked hard to earn.

Obviously none of these voters had ever worked for Indian hotel owners. There is absolutely no way EA could be as torturous even despite their horrible reputation.

indiangamer said:

i know this as i live in india

and i am loving EA's Battlefield 3

Leeky Leeky said:

Maybe they'll shove this one centre stage in their trophy room as a reminder of how epically they've failed those buying their products.

bielius bielius said:

That is what they deserve to be.

Even though I really enjoy both BC2 and BF3.

&@£$! what about Bank of America, yep naah that aint bad ^@£$! it EA is way worst coz it effects everyone, even those who do not play games ... yeh snap

EA is $^£$! but cmon this is a stretch... EA top 5 or 10 but top 1... cmon wake the &@£$! up...

example1013 said:

EA has no reason to treat this with any kind of seriousness. I don't know why a news site would waste bandwidth posting this. Or to use the statistics term for polls like this, it's "total bullshit".

ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

A news website such as Techspot has every reason to post this, considering that half of it's views are from gamers, and people interested in the technology behind having a gaming computer.

example1013 said:

So if I run a poll that asks which company is worse than Hitler and EA conveniently wins by a landslide, I should be on the front page too, then.

EA doesn't care if people support them or not because to them we are all replaceable.

EA deserves this award, that doesn't mean other companies don't as well.

Timonius Timonius said:

:facepalm: EA took the bait too. Should have just ignored this one.

captainawesome captainawesome said:

OK, you seriously need a 'like' button (but it's probably patented by them FB mongrels ) coz I saw this article and immediately thought "at this moment, everything is right with the world"

captainawesome captainawesome said:

on that note, where the hell is your twitter button?

example1013 said:

EA actually doesn't care about mouthy forum-users because they make up a such a minuscule portion of their customer base that they can be ignored. The average video game consumer will never even hear about this.

TekGun TekGun said:

This made me laugh, good job EA you really deserve it.

ramonsterns said:

What everyone complaining about this poll fails to acknowledge is, it's an online poll. Everyone already knows most corporations are corner-cutting, underhanded scumbags, but only gaming companies are the ones that get by without any press.

Admit it, videogames makes more money than most industries and is an integral part of the economy, regardless of your opinions on whether or not they are art or for kids, or any other definition you have for them.

And again, it's an online poll, anyone who matters doesn't care and anyone who cares doesn't matter.

treetops treetops said:

Totally love Indians and all people but

Wow I thought I was the only one who had a bad experience with a Indian hotel owner. Wouldn't pay me over time for 60 hours weeks, when I brought it up I was scheduled for 2 days a week. Super 8 eloy ftl.

I don't care for EA over pricing for the same game they pooped out 7 years ago, but I also don't buy them, so it doesn't effect me.

ramonsterns said:

treetops said:

Totally love Indians and all people but

I don't use or buy from [insert corporation here], so it doesn't affect me.

Obviously sane logic.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Could I take your last quote to include, "mouthy forum users" such as yourself, for "example"?

IAMTHESTIG said:

EA's customer service is quite bad, I rarely get my issues resolved quickly and efficiently with them. So this does seem fitting for that aspect of the company. However one thing I think people forget is EA doesn't actually make a lot of the games they publish, so problems within the game aren't necessarily EA's fault. But since EA is the medium between the developer and the community, it is their responsibility to find the issues and report them appropriately, Clearly this doesn't happen all the time.

It's quite obvious they care more about money than supporting their products and keeping their gaming community happy. Sure, they've been making an effort with BF3, and we all appreciate that. Unfortunately you can't please everyone so you're going to always have a bunch of whiners out there.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

You could apply this logic to virtually anything, in any industry. Were you to complain about an Apple product, it's very easy to say it's Foxconn's fault! Or for that matter, for EA to tell their customers that, "you're holding it wrong".

Well first, who else would you expect to complian about EA? The gaming community is their only customer. And BTW, just because a sheep doesn't bleat, that doesn't mean it's not getting butchered. It was EA that started the "digital only policy", that enraged many people, wasn't it?. Clearly people have moved on. There's no reason EA won't quickly put this behind them. Then too, there's the old adage, "any press is good press".

"We're going to continue making award-winning games " -- but they are not MAKING any games, they are just selling them.

Tygerstrike said:

I remember a time when EA was great at customer experience. Stepping in my wayback machine.......I remember Bards Tale. I had to call EA about 20 different times. Finally the reps I was talking to just sent me a printed list of all the information I needed. Now they would have charged both arms.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

i know this as i live in india

and i am loving EA's Battlefield 3

Did you play it when it first came out? Did you play it on punkbuster servers? Granted it is a fantastic game but EA delivered a beta product, stinking multiplayer server reliability, origin is a farce - it can't detect and repair damaged installations nor does it have a native backup facility, punkbuster doesn't install properly and you need to find the damn plugin and repair the install!

Also Battlelog is the WORST game launch system ever invented. Whoever thought an online page for launching even the single player mode was a good idea ought to be shot.

We had outages in Australia in PEAK gaming periods of 2-3 hours. I cannot remember another multiplayer game in living memory that had problems like that.

So they even managed to stuff a fantastic game's delivery. Takes talent to do that.

EA Killed Need For Speed Series among other Poo things...They deserve this Poo Prize! 100% Correct.

A golden poo prize for a company that worked so hard to achieve it,and his ace card was ME3.Got to think that the guys from Bioware are out fo his mind at time of writing scripts.Ea must be very pride of them.

ramonsterns said:

Tygerstrike said:

I had to call EA about 20 different times.

This is not good customer service. Now, 20 years ago, or a hundred years in the future.

Gamesinner said:

Umm, what did Bank of America do to hurt the economy?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Umm, what did Bank of America do to hurt the economy?
The same things that many other major banks were doing. Is this the time or place for that discussion? I don't care, we can have it anyway. Just curious, that's all.....

Scshadow said:

"We're sure that bank presidents, oil, tobacco, and weapons companies are all relieved they weren't on the list this year. We?re going to continue making award-winning games and services played by more than 300 million people worldwide," -EA representative John Reseburg.

Talk about a loaded statement. I can't say I completely agree or disagree. Surely the poll voters have completely lost perspective on the real world and what truly matters but EA is extremely content to disregard completely the severe unhappiness of their consumers almost as if daring them to try and boycott their products. I applaud EA's cockiness. Its the best chance we have of the gaming community becoming polarized against the actions of these gaming companies that are greedy to the point where they could possibly be considered elaborate scams. I don't refer to ME in this statement although I don't exclude the possibility of ME3 being involved. I'm not informed to the details of the ME3 ending debacle.

This doesn't surprise me when most of the people playing these games are unaware kids.

I can confirm that EA deserves this award. I am playing SW TOR atm, though I used to play WoW for, um, 6 years before that. EA's customer service is very bad, in fact it is the worst I have ever seen coming from a U.S. based company. My advice to EA would be to hire people from Blizzard's Customer Service Dept, and to copy-paste what Blizzard is doing. Blizzard has got, beyond any doubt, the best customer service in the industry as well as the best GM's, Customer Reps and forums.

tengeta tengeta said:

I can't actually believe I'm saying this, but how does a bank lose to EA? Banks have screwed generations of people, you HAVE to choose to get screwed by EA. Aside from that they sure have destroyed generations of game franchises...

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Hmm.....

Talk about a loaded statement. I can't say I completely agree or disagree. Surely the poll voters have completely lost perspective on the real world and what truly matters but EA is extremely content to disregard completely the severe .
Here I would argue that gamers have lost perspective on what's relevant as well. If you're detached and addicted enough to think video games are all that important, then EA is all to happy to step in and play the predator of of opportunity, or a drug dealer. I suppose that depends on whatever analog you're willing to accept. The statement will probably meet with denial. But then, the first sign of any addiction is denial.