StatCounter: Google Chrome is dominating the browser industry

By on July 9, 2013, 11:30 AM
android, software, internet explorer, safari, mozilla firefox, browser, market share, statcounter, google chrome

Google Chrome raced onto the scene just five years ago; a time period when Internet Explorer had entrenched itself as the undisputed leader. The browser became so popular that mid last year it was already disputing the lead with Microsoft's counterpart. Now, according to recent reports from web statistics firm StatCounter, Google has firmly taken the top spot in the browser market, and not by a small margin either.

According to June's data, Chrome holds a global market share of 43%, while IE lags behind at 25%. Meanwhile, Firefox services approximately 20% of the online population, with Safari and Opera coming in fourth and fifth.

It’s interesting to note that Chrome’s dominance may be even greater than the stats indicate, seeing as much of Microsoft’s market share is tied to business use. Offices often have Internet Explorer set as the default browser and employees inherently use the system out of convenience. As a result, StatCounter’s statistics show that Microsoft’s market share undergoes a sizeable loss on weekends. If employers eventually make the transition to rivals Firefox and Chrome, then Internet Explorer’s days could be numbered.

Some might be curious as to how Google rose to the top so quickly. After all, Microsoft effectively held a monopoly over the industry, and Firefox was a hit for those wanting a speedier interface and greater customization. Neowin suggests that much of Chrome’s success can be attributed to its presence on the Android line of mobile devices. Unfortunately for Apple, the iPhone has failed to bring Safari the same loyal following, or at least not in any meaningful way considering Safari is confined to OS X's smaller market share on desktops.

However compelling the StatCounter results may be, these figures do not tell the whole story. StatCounter tracks using page views, while most would agree that the number of users is of greater importance

Obviously when your browser is advertised on Google and then bundled with everything else...

2 people like this | Guest said:

No, it is not because of that, it is because it is so damn fast in comparison with the explorer and even firefox. I have to use IE 10 at work, and when I swich to chrome it feels like butter.

Seems everything you download loads Chrome with it. Most people I know have Chrome installed on their computer, but none of them use it. Having it on your computer and actually using it is two different things! I have been a long time Opera user. Haven't found any other browser that comes close. I just hope that the new Opera will have the features of the current version.

Critica1Hit said:

This.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Firefox is blazing fast. Even the latest version of Internet Explorer is fast. Google just bundles Chrome with everything and advertises right on Google search page. While Chrome is a good browser, it is dominating because of Google's advantages in the market (not Chrome's).

Firefox is still the go to browser for those who want everything (speed, privacy, customization). Chrome has speed, the illusion of privacy, and minor customization.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Chrome came preinstalled on my computer, but I wasn't able to view bank statement pdf files (pdf from unsecure sites were fine). Also some sites with embedded flash content kept displaying messages that I needed to download a plugin, but chrome wouldn't do it. Firefox had no problem with either the bank statements or browsing, its my default browser now. I haven't noticed any difference with the speed.

1 person liked this | RenGood08 RenGood08 said:

I prefer Chrome. I have it as the main Browser on my laptop. I use IE then use Chrome...and a significant difference. Step aside IE, Chrome and Firefox are the future.

3 people like this | Guest said:

Chrome is dominating the bloatware and spyware industry. This browser is bundle with everything, how can it be avoided? People don't even know that it is installed on their computers. I have seen chrome on 90% of computers that I work on, and when I ask people if they use it, they simply had no idea what it was.

1 person liked this | wastedkill said:

Wow... Since when did microsoft, apple, dell, HP etc roll chrome with everything? plus chrome is the ONLY good browser in terms of speed/security. I only use chrome thanks to its simplicity, minimalistic, security, speed I don't know of a browser which can rival it in those 4 areas..

Also IE is made by microsoft which lets remember by the way their own AV failed pretty much all tests on the 2012/2013 forgot which one it was either one of those but it failed pretty much every single test... which says a lot for microsoft and their products I mean come on! its microsoft if that failed then what about their own OS and browser...

Chrome sucks. Painful in my throat. Tried to disable all built-in tracking to ensure 100% private browsing, but the sucker still leaves its signature and retain some cookies. Heard the sucker Google is paying adblock to enure their ads to still get through. Firefox is still the go-to for web developers. Security will go to IE10, but data mining will go to Chrome.

Chrome browser comes pre-installed on some Asus and Lenovo products.

I wonder how much statcounter ot from g$$gle to post this BS ?

Chrome is the new malware-type bloatware tool masquerading as browser in this present age. Try to avoid everything evil Google as I can.

wastedkill said:

Wow we got a big guest trolling...

@ wastedkill : I don't think so. I posted the first and the fifth comment. I think this topic always generates a lot of comments.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

As opposed to IE, which is on 100% of Windows computers, even if you don't use it? If you've got a beef against Google, that's fine and dandy, avoid Chrome. But trying to attribute people making a conscious decision to move away from their default browser and use Chrome to the fact that it's bundled with download stuff is ludicrous. Just because it may download with something does NOT make people use it. What makes people use it is the speed and features.

I was a die-hard Firefox user, but was finding FF was bogging down dramatically, and switched to Chrome... The speed increase was dramatic. Of course, FF made some good strides to get rid of the slowdowns and memory leaks, and now I flip-flop between the 2. I still prefer FF overall, but Chrome pulls its own weight (and is dramatically better than IE any day).

Adding up all Chrome's processes, it is always using more memory than Firefox on my computer. And that is with Firefox set to never write to disk, always store in memory. Speed wise, Chrome is still slightly faster. However the difference in speed is only minor. Like an eighth of a second. I'll keep my privacy over a split second faster.

@ Vrmithrax : I would agree if Firefox was advertised along side Chrome and bundled with everything as well. Then if people chose Chrome, you would be right. But commonsense tells you the vast majority of people would indeed choose Chrome. This is because it is dummy proof, like Apple's iOS. People like it because it is fast, simple, and they don't have to set anything up. That doesn't make it best, it makes it appealing as most people are not technologically inclined.

I do find it interesting that Firefox is more in sync with Android and Chrome is more like iOS.

1 person liked this | insect said:

I use chrome because of the built-in google features. Privacy isn't really a concern for me so much - I block whatever ads they track-to-send me anyway and I visit about 10 pages regularly (which I know to be safe). Besides, if they want to know where I live, my name, phone number, date of birth, etc. a simple white-pages look up and a call to my local government would probably suffice.

The ability to sync with drive, across all devices (especially my history - often look up stuff on home PC where it's faster then pull it up later at the store on my phone to get price matching/discounts), and the speed make Chrome worth it for me.

2 people like this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Browsers, as with most things are just a matter of taste if you ignore the technical mumbo jumbo & user claims. I've used Chrome since it's inception and wouldn't use another browser but I know a lot of people who still use IE just because they know no different, to them a browser is a browser is a browser. That said, I'd rather use IE than Firefox myself.

FF222 said:

Arguing about this makes no sense, because StatCounter's numbers are worthless. They simply have no clue how statistics work, and refuse to get educated about it.

JC713 JC713 said:

This happens when there are chrome commercials blasting every minute xD.

edvim said:

>> I don't know of a browser which can rival it in those 4 areas..

Sounds more like you just haven't taken the time to actually use other browsers, at least lately. There will never, ever be a universal browser, available for every OS platform, that will suit every users' needs. But at this point the browser war that Mozilla brought back from a dead zone has triggered competition that has given us a lot of good options. The dark days when IE dominated and Netscape was one of the a handful of usable alternatives have been forgotten by a lot of people.

3 people like this | Guest said:

I use Netscape,but Im thinking about switching to AOL

Serag said:

Chrome is a virus :P

Seriously though, it's only popular because it's "Google" and it's also bundled with a lot of popular software, while it's just a bloated version of the excellent Chromium Project.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This could have been avoided if Mozilla hadn't decided to start a rapid version acceleration program with Firefox.

I don't use Firefox regularly and never have, but I'm not blind either. Firefox started loosing users when their browser lost add-on compatibility during bimonthly version lifespans. Creators of browser extensions, couldn't (or wouldn't be bothered) keep up with all the consecutive minor upgrading.

As far as Chrome goes, I'll go back to using IE before I'll ever consider using Chrome. Now that Opera is based on a Chromium, I may not be using Opera for much longer either. I would consider Firefox, but they have to stop the rapid version acceleration first.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

@ cliffordcooley : Even before this minor issue was fixed, all you had to do was extract the xpi as a zip, then edit the set version number with notepad (voila). That being said, this is an old and resolved issue. Now Mozilla's website automatically checks for actual compatibility issues after a browser update. The vast majority of addons now continue to function after browser updates.

SirGCal SirGCal said:

Actually no, the latest FF beats Chrome in the speed tests also. IT quite easily won the last grand prix tests. I personally can't stand Chrome.

As for addons, I have no problems with any of the addons I've used since like FF 10... So I'm not exactly sure where that argument comes from... ? Plus, you always have the option to just not do the update...

And yet...no Chrome for 64x systems. It works well enough, I guess, but...?

sapo joe said:

I'll keep Firefox Nightly x64 here...

Thanks!

jobeard jobeard, TS Ambassador, said:

@everybody: walk softly and carry a big stick.

Use what YOU LIKE and ignore this P***ing contest. There's no blue ribbon for first (or last) place.

YAWN ;0

You think your data is secure when using a browser created by a company whose very existence is based upon the wholesale extraction and selling off of every last bit of information they can gather about you? Might want to think again, there...

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Ha, Opera is lower than Other.

Can MS to ask EU return the $$$

1 person liked this | Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

I prefer Chrome, I used IE and it was horrible and slow. I switched to Safari, crashed everyday. I switched to firefox nothing would work, and it felt so sluggish. Tried Opera but uninstalled it right after. For me chrome has everything I need and generally doesnt give me any problems.

Agreed with the rapid updates, they CAN be nice, but they should institute what many linux distros do a long term release or short term. this way programs can be written for the long term and maintain compatibility without a lot of work from devs. That being said I HATE how much data chrome mines from me, if it wasnt for the fact that this computer cant handle FF's memory leak I would never use it. To other users:yes FF has an initial smaller footprint, the real issue is when you are using the same browser over 3+ hours. It gets so bad that it will crash from its memory leak, having soaked up all my ram. Still the second I get a new PC it will never know chrome or IE. even if its password saving routine is horrid(which I dotn use with any browser anyway) its ability to be tweaked on the fly and privacy are top notch. The other upside is that they update frequently ensuring zdays have very little impact.

1 person liked this | p51d007 said:

For me, it's TONS faster than Pale Moon, IE or Firefox. THAT is the reason it is better.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

By leaving out Windows XP users from installing the latest versions of IE, Microsoft effectively donated 30-40% of the PC Crowd, looking for a modern browser experience, to Chrome.

wastedkill said:

When your ISP's and government are actively collecting your data you seem to realize that google possibly selling your data is nothing compared to what happens behind closed doors else where.

Nothing you can really do about it except wait for the next big internet.

Plus chrome is currently the best out of all browsers at the moment having tried IE, FF, Opera, Safari, chrome is miles better.

Lamont Briggs said:

Chrome is best! Or something chrome based like the torch browser, or opera. Has to be chrome related though!!

Puiu Puiu said:

For now google has the best if you want to watch youtube and use gmail, but when it comes to memory and pages loading correctly you have to use firefox. this is why use firefox as my main and switch to chrome when I need to.

having both is having the best of both worlds.

ypsylon said:

Google can dominate all they want. I don't use ANY Google trojans and never will. They can choke it.

I couldn't care less that Opera is near 0%. Will use Opera 12.14 as long as it is possible. Since first shareware version I tried & bought (3.0) no other browser came even close.

gkubed said:

OPERA PLS

But seriously, Chrome was awesome for a while but Google's blatant information sharing has turned me off. I trust my data with Mozilla since they actually value their users information and happiness.

IAMTHESTIG said:

Businesses will probably continue to avoid third party browsers until they can control it with powerful and heavily customizable group policy objects for active directory. I would like to use Chrome for my 500+ users, but I can't control it on my network so they have to use IE.

I like Chrome because it is faster and easier to use. I used Firefox but constantly freezes so I installed Chrome. The only problem with Chrome is that Adobe Flash crash which happens too often.

DAOWAce DAOWAce said:

And this is the reason why Firefox continues to rip Chrome features and constantly cause people like me havoc whenever there's a new release.

As for Chrome; until it allows much more customization (to Firefox's level) and stops running a dozen processes and taking up MORE RAM than Firefox, I will never use it.

Doesn't help that I hate change. I stuck with Firefox 3.6 until FF12 came out, then spent a week finding out how to revert all the awful UI changes made since FF4. Changing what I'm comfortable with and have much experience using is not a good thing.