How We Test, System SpecsAs with the Seagate Momentus XT and even Intel's SRT, the OCZ RevoDrive Hybrid is said to work best after two or three runs. This gives the drive time to cache the data so that it can be served up much faster. Therefore, we will be providing benchmark results of the RevoDrive Hybrid after one and three runs. The Seagate Momentus XT and Intel SRT results have only been recorded from the first run.
For comparison, we have included current generation SSDs such as the Intel SSD 510 Series 120GB, Crucial m4, OCZ Vertex 3 and Samsung 830 Series. These SATA 6Gb/s drives were tested on the Sandy Bridge (LGA1155) platform for maximum performance. In addition to flash devices, we've added the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C 1TB HDD. This 3.5" mechanical hard drive will also be tested using SRT. Our testing suite consists of four synthetic benchmark programs and our own file copying and load time tests. As you likely know, while manufacturers claim impressive peak I/O performance out of the box, this performance can and often does diminish over time. Unlike a conventional hard drive, any write operation made to an SSD is a two-step process: a data block must be erased and then written to.
Obviously if the drive is new and unused there will be nothing to erase and therefore the first step can be bypassed, but this only happens once unless the drive is trimmed. Considering this, we'll test how much performance you can expect to lose over time. We'll examine all drives in their clean, unused state, and then run the HD Tach full benchmark several times to fill the entire drive.
This simulates heavy usage and clearly indicates how performance will be affected after normal long-term use. All the drives in this roundup support the Windows 7 TRIM function, which is meant to counteract these negative effects.
Test System Specs
- Intel Core i7-2600K (LGA1155)
- x2 4GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill (CAS 8-8-8-20)
- Asus P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67)
- OCZ ZX Series (1250w)
- Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C 1TB
- Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C 1TB + Intel SRT
- OCZ RevoDrive Hybrid 1TB
- Kingston SSDNow V+ 100 256GB
- Patriot Torqx 2 128GB Patriot Pyro 120GB (6Gb/s)
- Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB (6Gb/s)
- Samsung 470 Series 256GB
- Intel SSD 320 Series 300GB
- Intel SSD 510 Series 120GB (6Gb/s)
- Crucial m4 256GB (6Gb/s)
- Kingston HyperX 240GB (6Gb/s)
- Samsung 830 Series 512GB (6Gb/s)
- OCZ Vertex 3 240GB (6Gb/s)
- OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 240GB (6Gb/s)
- Asus GeForce GTX 580 (1536MB)
- Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64-bit)
- Nvidia Forceware 285.38