0x0A- pretty sure it's a faulty driver, help me find out which one

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmei

Hi guys, I've tried to ignore my BSOD, with little success. It's been happening pretty much daily for the last several months and I'm just about fed up, and hoping you all can help. I've done basic diagnostics, and am pretty sure the issue is an incompatible driver but have a hard time figuring out which one, hoping ya'll can help. Previously, some (but not all) of the error messages mentioned a driver "dne2000.sys" which is the driver for the Cisco VPN client, which I uninstalled (and then deleted the dne2000.sys from the drivers folder) but that did not resolve the issue.

Windows XP Professional 5.1, SP3 (downgraded from Vista roughly 1.5 years ago)
RAM- 2 GB
CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo
HDD- Toshiba mk1637gsx, 160GB
GPU- Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family

Thanks for all the help!

Have looked at them. 4 out of 5 are related to pci.sys errors, which are causing the infamous 0x0000008E KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSOD's. Here is some info on this particular blue screen

This is a very common bug check. To interpret it, you must identify which exception was generated. May also be reported as 0x1000008E.

Possible causes:

* Hard disk damage or failure
* Configuration problems with the BIOS, memory, hard disk, or other devices
* Incompatible device driver
* Incompatible software

First step is I'd see if you can replace this file by running sfc. To do this you do need to have your XP Pro disk as it will copy any corrupt/missing files from the i386 folder to the one on your computer.

To run sfc:

Start > Run > Type cmd > Type sfc /scannow

It will run through and do a check of your system files and then prompt you for the XP disk if needed.

One of the dumps indicated the dne2000.sys error which as you pointed out is related to Cisco VPN. Have done a bit of research on this and it can be caused by 'sharing' your network connection. Or a trojan sharing it quietly behind your back.

Have you done any virus scan at all? There are a few things to try with this one, but will take it one step at a time

Thank you for the prompt reply. Will run sfc once I find my XP disk. I've run Symantec Antivirus in the past, but probably not in the last few months. Will run it again, just to be safe.

Am going through the 8 steps now. Sidenote: I can't seem to find my original Windows XP CD, I just moved, god knows where it is. So unfortunately I'm probably unable to run sfc. My apologies.

Hm, most of the fixes for this problem do involve using your Windows CD. This can also be caused by RAM not being inserted correctly, dirty connections or faulty RAM. Lets see what the 8 steps bring up and then we can proceed

Here are the three scan logs. I will keep looking for my Windows CD but doubt I can find it. Thanks again.

Oops! sorry I forgot to let you know that you should open up a new thread in the Malware section with those logs and info. I'm not part of the Malware team (they have their names in purple).

They are a lot smarter then I am and will be able to assist you in cleaning your machine if need be :)

Once we get the all clear from them, we can move onto some other options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back