1 long 3 short (New System)

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverwingz

Mobo: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD
(Out of the box, arrived yesterday)

video card: Nvidia 7900 GS (new 4 months ago)

PSU: Apevia 680w Beast Power (new 4 months ago)

Ram: 4gigs G.SKILL (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800
(out of the box, arrived yesterday)

HDD: WD Raptor (2 years old)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core

Processor
(Out of the box, arrived yesterday)

Bios: Award Bios (Old mobo, and new)

Ok so heres the issue. a week ago I had an msi k8n neo4-f mobo in my

case, with 1gig of ddr ram and an old socket939 single core processor. It

stopped working a while back and would give me either no beep signal or a

1 long 2 short beep signal, so I changed out the video card and it gave

me the same signal. I figured it was time for a new mobo and along with

it I would need a new cpu and new ram, so above is my current set up.

after everything was installed its now giving me a 1 long 3 short bios

code, which says that it is either the video card thats bad or the ram.

So I switched out my video card again, and no luck (so I suppose I can

rule out that.) I then took out the ram and inserted only one, no luck,

so I changed that stick to another stick, and still no luck (kinda

figured it wouldn't be the ram since its new and all.) this power supply

is a great psu and has plenty of power to run whatever I need. At this

point I think I have a computer ghost keeping me from running a good

machine. =( If anyone has any ideas I would be more than happy to try

them.

Strip your system down to nothing apart from the motherboard, CPU, one module of RAM (that you are confident is working), and your PSU. Detach and/or remove all other components and see if your machine will boot without any beeps. Gradually add things into the mix (starting with the VPU) and see how far you can get before it fails.

One long three short is indeed either VPU or RAM related for Award BIOS.

ok, with the PSU, CPU, and Mobo, im getting the beep signal 1 long 3 short. so its the same signal. (I think this is normal though, because the video card is unplugged.) what should I try next?

silverwingz said:
ok, with the PSU, CPU, and Mobo, im getting the beep signal 1 long 3 short. so its the same signal. (I think this is normal though, because the video card is unplugged.) what should I try next?

I'm assuming you had the RAM in as well, and if you did, the only thing that it could be as far as I know is your RAM. Try a module from another PC that you are 100% sure works.

bleh I cant =( my other computers are only ddr. so it could be a possibility that all 4 sticks of ram arrived doa?

Not likely at all, no, but the beeps point to your RAM/VPU and your VPU isn't even in the loop. You're sure you have the RAM seated all the way?

Try leaving on module of RAM in, your CPU, motherboard and PSU, clear the CMOS and try to boot again.

If it's still giving the same beeps I would suspect something is wrong with your motherboard. Either you haven't connected/installed something properly, or it is just defective.

im gonna go wiggle everything and make sure things are plugged in right. it is possible that the mobo is DOA. ok well brb

ok so its still doing everything the same, after I secured everything. Just for curiousity, I took out the ram stick and turned it on and it gives me a weird beep signal of 1 long 2 short (pause) 1 long 2 short (pause) ..... repeating. I thought it was suppose to so 2 short (pause) 2 short (pause) repeating. could this indicate a bad mobo?

Quickly searched and came up with this:

1 Long, then 2 Short Beeps: Video error

Explanation: The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen.

Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the video card, or the memory on the video card. It can also be a motherboard issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Continuous Beeping: Memory or video problem

Explanation: The system is producing constant beeping in no specific pattern, or a fast "ringing" sound.

Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the system memory, or possibly the video card. The memory is more likely--the system complains long and loud if it can't find any usable memory, as there is no way to even start the boot process when this is the case. The motherboard itself could also be the problem.

ya I saw that too, but does that apply if its repeating? I also looked at a different post that said that in order to clear the bios fully you had to set jumpers and stuff. I've never done that before, just poped the battery out. im gonna go try that now, brb

ok so I reset the bios by setting the jumper and now im getting a different beep signal its 1 long 2 short (pause) 1 short. I have no idea what this is lol. Im off to google it now. any ideas?

If you are 100% confident that everything is connected and installed properly, I would consider trying another motherboard.

I am pretty sure its a Phoenix Award bios but this is what the normal Phoenix bios beep code says:
1-3-1 You'll need to replace the motherboard.

Edit: my bios's specific name : 4Mb AWARD BIOS, PnP, DMI, WfM2.0, SM BIOS 2.3

Edit 2: I dont have another ddr2 compliant mobo so I'd have to rma this one to get another one

not sure if this could be a factor but there is a 12pin slot on my mobo for a power supply to it. The power supply I have only has a 10pin plug but it still fits in and locks in place. The last mobo I had did the same thing and worked fine. Im not sure if this mobo requires the full 12pin

Not sure what you are suggesting. Below is an image of your motherboard (I believe). I see two places to connect the PSU. The 24-pin main connector, and an additional 12v 4-pin connector. Your PSU has connectors for both of those. Please try to clarify what you're speaking of.

Your PSU has a 20+4-pin connector. If you've only attached the 20-pin connector, attach the other 4-pin connector and try to boot again.

I just realized that before you posted and tryed. it didnt work tho =(
still getting the beeeep beep beep beep .. beep.

(kick ***.. my last few posts bumped me to techspot member.. about time after 2 years

Welp, I'm not sure what else you can try. You've stripped the system down to nothing but the RAM, CPU, motherboard and PSU with no luck. Odds are, all four modules of RAM aren't bad as you noted, so it's obviously either your motherboard, CPU or PSU.

I wouldn't bet on it being your PSU if you had used it in the previous system with no problem. Both CPU's and motherboards rarely croak, however, of the two I'd say motherboards are much higher on the list of probability. Try to RMA your motherboard unless someone else strolls through with some solid advice.

Congratulations on your membership ;).

Ok.. will do in the morning when I get up. Thanx for helping me. usually people just post a little something that doesn't work and then I never hear from them again. lol. ok well im off to sleep, its 3:12am here

:( Sorry to hear that. Sometimes if someone is already attempting to help a person, others will keep away from the thread unless it's going down a path which they feel isn't correct. If the person who was initially helping has run out of ideas and stops posting, it's easy for your thread to get buried by countless others within a few hours, never to be seen again.

Good luck with getting it replaced, maybe someone will post during the time that you're asleep with an idea. If it turns out to be a faulty motherboard, be sure to post back and let us know :).

I wish I could sleep, 4:14AM here and I am just finishing up laundry :(.

You sure on that Gavin? I've never had an issue starting a PC without VPU installed. Granted, there was no display, but they'd still start etc.

reguardless it cant be the video card because ive tried 3 different video cards with the system and I get the same error. so anyways im gonna go rma it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back