1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

1 long beep, 3 short beeps, dead graphics processor

By Jimbo Jimbo
Apr 1, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. Hello, this is my first post, so please accept my apologies for poor etiquette.

I have an ASUS Z77-V LX motherboard with an i5-3570K. I have 4 x 4GB DDR3 memory sticks in it, although I've tried all individually and in pairs and the behaviour is the same. So I don't believe that the RAM is the problem. I dual boot Win10 and Ubuntu. By default the system boots to Ubuntu 18.04.

When I power the system on, I initially get 1 beep for passing the POST, then 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps. After this the system constantly restarts. I get no display output. According to https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1029959/ this indicates that there is a graphics error.

I have been using the integrated graphics on the CPU so far, which, if it is the GPU that is the problem has suggested to me that I could try one of three options.
    1) Reseat CPU. I have tried this and the behaviour has been the same. (I haven't got any thermal paste to hand, so that might help if I replace the paste.)
    2) Add a dedicated graphics card. This doesn't convince me as if there's a problem with the integrated GPU it seems likely that there is a problem with the CPU.
    3) Replace CPU.

Does anybody have an experience of this odd fault who can help or advise?

Many thanks

Jim

2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus Stone age computing - click on the rock below.. Posts: 3,919   +1,157

I do not have direct experience with your setup, but I would check CPU power connection. Check your manual, but I think it is the 8-pin in the upper left.

3. MaikuTech

MaikuTech TS Evangelist Posts: 1,044   +183

Borrow a graphics card to make sure the cpu is really at fault.
    If the mobo has no problems switching to dedicated graphics card automatically.
    It is most likely a cpu problem and it will need to be replaced.
    If it refuses to toggle to the dedicated gpu, run your computer to a computer shop.
    Have them run a test on the cpu and mobo, test the cpu on a different computer to see what happens.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  4. Jimbo Jimbo

Jimbo Jimbo TS Rookie Topic Starter

THanks to you both. I'll try both suggestions and let you know how I get on.

Cycloid Torus likes this.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...