10 free Steam games worth playing

Just when you thought Depression Quest had finally jumped off the bridge, here's Kotaku telling us to play it. Surprise level...negative. Between this and the inclusion of Paladins, this list is properly controversial.

Just when you thought Depression Quest had finally jumped off the bridge, here's Kotaku telling us to play it. Surprise level...negative. Between this and the inclusion of Paladins, this list is properly controversial.
I know why you had issue with DQ (if the author needs to disclaim something why even put it on the list?) but what's the issue with Paladins?

I know why you had issue with DQ (if the author needs to disclaim something why even put it on the list?) but what's the issue with Paladins?

I don't have issue with either game (although the former isn't a game). The issue with Paladins is that many think it's a rip off of Overwatch. I think it's an enjoyable game, personally. Better than Overwatch in many ways.

I don't have issue with either game (although the former isn't a game). The issue with Paladins is that many think it's a rip off of Overwatch. I think it's an enjoyable game, personally. Better than Overwatch in many ways.
One thing to keep in mind is that Paladins was in development earlier than Overwatch's announcement (and probably even earlier than that). So I personally call BS on it being an "Overwatch ripoff". That being said, I have yet to play either of them lol (been staying away from the MOBA style games lately)

These are free titles? How do they sleep at night overcharging so much for them? Team Fortress 2 and Portal somehow landed up listed in my library although I'd never asked or bought them. Not that it matters, I'm never going to waste data or time downloading them. Maybe it's because (and I was told) I have Half Life in in my library and they are linked

Played Path of Exile for about 600 hours or so way back. It really was a great game and it has unique way of building a character. Since then it has gone downhill, got a little bit dumbed down but I think many will still like it.

Paladins is ran by horrible people and company
first day I installed I was Permabanned on the steam forum and reddit of the game
two months later they banned my account after 300 hours played while being active in forums and posting content on my youtube

they later banned 2-3 more accounts just by knowing its me again
they do not like when you speak the truth on the forums and they make sure to shut you up
other people as well have been banned also after paying real money on the game

the game itself had a playerbase consisting of nothing but Spanish speaking people and European Russians
that all choose to play on NA servers with all my hundreds of hours I have rarely seen English spoken in the in game chat

about the game itself prepare to play game after game with random casuals who never played a FPS in their lives this is a tight team based game that needs perfect team composition and teamwork and let me tell you
playing with random casuals online wont result in good gameplay

the game itself locks playable heros for new players and you are only able to play flank and damage heros at start which makes online games terrible with broken team composition built from damage and flank roles only without healers or tanks

you cant play with friends either once you go in as a five man group the matchmaking will match you against higher rank players as a move to counter the advantage of being a group which leads to your group of friends getting rekt by 5 solo players walking in with higher maxed out heros while you and your friends are just trying to have some fun

the game asks you to place in 200 hours solo unlocking all the upgardes to each hero only then you could afford to group up and face the match making

the game is built on a card system that takes hundreds of hours to grind until you max out a hero giving it good abilities

99% of players will be walking in games with unoptimized heros without proper cards and be at a disadvantage
the game wants you to buy the founders packs so you could upgrade heros for real money

the whole community is free to play casuals non english speaking casuals who dont know how to play
the game itself is not balanced and built around a overwatch ripoff scam idea for all the people who cant afford OW

the game will punish you with deserter bans making you wait minutes hours and days for not playing the game as the developers want you to play it meaning if you leave a game or want to refuse playing a round at the menu stage you will get punished

people also report each other at the end of the round and threat each other you constantly need to think about the company banning your account for some reason

the game itself has a small playerbase and is not popular on twitch truly only weirdos play paladins
yet the developers try desperately to make the game float
all decent players already stopped playing this game

this is the worst game experience I ever had in gaming with the nastiest company behind it

These are free titles? How do they sleep at night overcharging so much for them? Team Fortress 2 and Portal somehow landed up listed in my library although I'd never asked or bought them. Not that it matters, I'm never going to waste data or time downloading them. Maybe it's because (and I was told) I have Half Life in in my library and they are linked
Portal is good game...

Paladins is ran by horrible people and company
first day I installed I was Permabanned on the steam forum and reddit of the game
two months later they banned my account after 300 hours played while being active in forums and posting content on my youtube

they later banned 2-3 more accounts just by knowing its me again
they do not like when you speak the truth on the forums and they make sure to shut you up
other people as well have been banned also after paying real money on the game

the game itself had a playerbase consisting of nothing but Spanish speaking people and European Russians
that all choose to play on NA servers with all my hundreds of hours I have rarely seen English spoken in the in game chat

about the game itself prepare to play game after game with random casuals who never played a FPS in their lives this is a tight team based game that needs perfect team composition and teamwork and let me tell you
playing with random casuals online wont result in good gameplay

the game itself locks playable heros for new players and you are only able to play flank and damage heros at start which makes online games terrible with broken team composition built from damage and flank roles only without healers or tanks

you cant play with friends either once you go in as a five man group the matchmaking will match you against higher rank players as a move to counter the advantage of being a group which leads to your group of friends getting rekt by 5 solo players walking in with higher maxed out heros while you and your friends are just trying to have some fun

the game asks you to place in 200 hours solo unlocking all the upgardes to each hero only then you could afford to group up and face the match making

the game is built on a card system that takes hundreds of hours to grind until you max out a hero giving it good abilities

99% of players will be walking in games with unoptimized heros without proper cards and be at a disadvantage
the game wants you to buy the founders packs so you could upgrade heros for real money

the whole community is free to play casuals non english speaking casuals who dont know how to play
the game itself is not balanced and built around a overwatch ripoff scam idea for all the people who cant afford OW

the game will punish you with deserter bans making you wait minutes hours and days for not playing the game as the developers want you to play it meaning if you leave a game or want to refuse playing a round at the menu stage you will get punished

people also report each other at the end of the round and threat each other you constantly need to think about the company banning your account for some reason

the game itself has a small playerbase and is not popular on twitch truly only weirdos play paladins
yet the developers try desperately to make the game float
all decent players already stopped playing this game

this is the worst game experience I ever had in gaming with the nastiest company behind it

You're not a fan, are you?

Sorry for implying that you had issue with either. I have issue with DQ showing up on Kotaku's lists still though (I guess I was projecting).

PoE is the only game in the list that interests me, and I have played it, however, I'm not really a fan of it. I did Alpha & Beta test the game before it came out years ago, but even then I didn't much care for it, it's one of the reasons why I only check it out once in a blue moon when pigs fly.

Sorry for implying that you had issue with either. I have issue with DQ showing up on Kotaku's lists still though (I guess I was projecting).

No need to apologize. My reason for not taking issue with DQ being on the list is because I have no regard for Kotaku to begin with. I watched how they handled GamerGate very closely. They're little more than a social justice club masquerading as a media outlet with very long-winded writers.

Good list , I suspect DQ is on there as a sop to online bullying.. I suspect the ppl complaining about social justice dont really understand anything about it.

I find this list funny as it seems the only reason they made it was to push Depression Quest. You'd think a game 3 years old they'd have some other SJW game to push instead.

Depression Quest, really? Do I even have to say it? Come on. I mean, without it I'd give the list a solid 6/10, but with that addition it gets down to 3/10. Seriously, this whole article is rubbish, TF2 has been going downhill in both quality and # of players for a while now, Dota 2 is not precisely the kind of game I'd recommend to a general audience but a very niche one, and most of the rest are mediocre indie crap with varying amounts of redeeming qualities, none of them I'd really call "great" (then again we are talking about f2p games so maybe they are still among the best), so yeah maybe the title of "worth playing" is fitting but only once you add a "barely" before it.
All in all, it reeks of sellout in here.

Also, forgot to mention, that there are many more games that could've made it to this list even above the ones who got listed, even and even more so with my proposed label (and all of them still better than Depression Quest).

One thing to keep in mind is that Paladins was in development earlier than Overwatch's announcement (and probably even earlier than that). So I personally call BS on it being an "Overwatch ripoff". That being said, I have yet to play either of them lol (been staying away from the MOBA style games lately)

They are not MOBAs at all. They are FPS, like Team Fortress.

Back