10+ Tools for Finding and Deleting Duplicate Files on Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duplicate Cleaner up to version 2.0.6 was freeware and not bloated, so if you manage to find a setup file online, You 're good to go. It's getting harder though, every year, so I'm keeping a copy on like 4 separate drives. Duplicates of Duplicate Cleaner, LOL.

Be very careful as the whole concept of "a duplicate" is complicated.

A true duplicate has the same Name, File Size and even File Date.
On Windows, a drag-n-drop COPY will create this kind of pure-duplicate.

On a Mac, a COPY changes the new file's date to the moment of the copy.

Then there's a question on Links (aka Short-cuts, aliases).
Both Windows and Mac append a new extension to the file name for Soft Links(Unix/Linux term)
so it's obvious which is the original.

However, BOTH Windows and Mac also support Hard Links too, and this is were duplicates get real complicated.
Most users never run into Hard Links and this becomes moot
, but if you do have Hard Links, it's even hard to tell!

A Hard Link makes an entry in the file name table and then points to all the data sectors in the original file.
Thus there's TWO Names --> same set of data sectors. Now is this a duplicate? Before you guess, be it known
that either file name, the original or the Hard Link, can be opened for write/update and the changes will be
seen in the other. So an original/Hard-Link is actually ONE FILE, not a dupicate!

So what? Guess what happens if you delete the Hard-Link? YEP, BOTH FILES disappear!

I have yet to find a tool that properly understands Hard-Links!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use for a long time Duplicate Cleaner Free. I am very satisfied with it and recommend it to others.

Some notices about CCleaner are that it has been hacked. Don't know how it was resolved. ?????
Duplicate Cleaner website says it now addresses hard links; but it also says it DC is for up to Win7, no mention of Win10. ?????

I have been using Duplicate Cleaner Free (version 3.2.6) for years on win7. It is simple, works and never had a problem.

I recommend it over CCleaner since it has a simpler and easier interface and does much more....

Duplicate Cleaner has free versions ( Duplicate Cleaner Free 4.1.0 currently for me) and does the job nicely. ~"*(*).*" in windows search to find chrome numbered duplicates. I thought all trust for CCleaner was gone by now?

No mention of which of these programs can find duplicate folders.

Can they all find duplicate folders? I know Duplicate Cleaner can.

I have a 4-core i7 CPU so I get 4 copies of Notepad.exe and many other files, delete 3 at your own risk because Windows' programs can use a copy in each core. So I would never allow any software to even look at files in the Windows or Program* folders.

I have a folder with a number of duplicated videos at different resolutions and formats. The only effective method I've found is to sort by run time. There is no tool that can match videos solely or in part by length.

Last edited:
I have a folder with a number of duplicated videos at different resolutions and formats. The only effective method I've found is to sort by run time. There is no tool that can match videos solely or in part by length.
sort by size...

No mention of which of these programs can find duplicate folders.
hmm; problem with the definition here:
  • duplicate folder NAME
  • duplicate all containing folder CONTENTS
  • or both, dup folder name and all contents are duplicates?

I have a 4-core i7 CPU so I get 4 copies of Notepad.exe and many other files, delete 3 at your own risk because Windows' programs can use a copy in each core. So I would never allow any software to even look at files in the Windows or Program* folders.
hmm; Each core can access the same program (eg Notepad), but I've never seen a system where each core has a private copy of a program; eg
  • Program Files\core1\notepad
  • Program Files\core2\notepad
  • Program Files\core3\notepad
  • Program Files\core4\notepad

So what is the experience of deleting duplicates like? The Auslogic product required me to click once for each file to be deleted, even when entire folders were duplicated. I could not select a group of files based from one of the folders they were found in. It was very tedious.

The way I needed it, "Duplicate Cleaner" is a garbage. I just tried checking 5.5TB of audio files which totals 77K files. Only scanning them took 100 minutes. And now it looks like it's trying to hash check every file, not the results from scan. It's been 20 minutes and progress is: 0.6%.

I believe in leaving comments on other people's blogs, but I think that these have to be useful and adding value to the post. Too often people say just lovely or awesome or thanks for sharing this valuable information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back