14-month home-built desktop won't POST, load BIOS, etc. after powering on

Hey guys. I have a problem with my computer that I built last July. Last night, I was playing Crysis 2 and the screen began flickering a bit and then went black. I couldn't tab out or ctrl-alt-del, so I just manually powered down and left it for the night since it was late anyway. Today, I power it on and I have a blank screen. There are no beeps or posts and the screen acts as if it isn't getting a signal (stays in standby mode). Also, the fans and lights all seem to be working but there are no indications of hard drive activity (no clicking of the hard drive and no flickering of the HDD light). One other thing that I noticed is that the cpu fan is running at full rpm's. Usually, it will rev up to full rpm's and then back down to normal rpm's when the computer is turned on. I've looked up what this problem may be and it seems it could be anything from a bad power supply to bad memory to a bad motherboard.

Now, I have noticed the flickering of the screen before when I was playing games but it only seems to happen every once in a while (a few times a month or less and sometimes not even for a month). I plan on swapping the ram with other ddr3 ram to see if that could be the problem. The computer had been a powerhouse and has had little to no problems except for the occassional flickering when playing some games (WoW/Crysis 2). I'm not sure what could be causing this and I really am limited on resources for swapping to figure this out. My parts are all still under warranty so if I can figure out what could be causing this (if anything), I can get a replacement part possibly...

I have tried the following so far:
-Swapped the HDD with another that is in working order with a os installed on it.
-Tried powering on with separate RAM cards installed in different slots.

Think I will try to take the whole system apart and analyze this. It may be my video card but I would hope not (I paid almost $300 for it last July...). I don't think it is my power supply because it is powering the system up and I'm not sure if it's my motherboard because there are system lights and buttons on the board that are working (ie., power and reset buttons).

Any advice is appreciated... :p

Here are the specs of the build:

CPU: Core i7 930
Motherboard: Asus P6X58D Premium
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD-585X-ZAFC (5850)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
PSU: Corsair HX750
HDD: WD Caviar Black 750GB 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache
Monitor: HP 2159M 21.5" HD Monitor
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred

I would suggest that you disconnect everything except the bare minimum i.e. no HDD, one stick of RAM, no DVD etc. and see what happens. I suspect that graphics card may be the most likely culprit, then the motherboard and lastly the PSU.

Back