20 Years of Doom: Memories by John Romero & John Carmack

Julio Franco

Staff member
Twenty years ago, on December 10, 1993, John Carmack, John Romero and the rest of the team at upstart id Software unleashed a game called Doom upon the world. Twenty years later, both men have written about their favorite memories...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/54974-20-years-of-doom-memories-by-john-romero-john-carmack.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

DanUK

Doom II was one of the first PC games I really played as a kid! So many fond memories. I remember in one of the levels a secret door flying open with one of the demons right behind it, almost made me fly off my chair backwards :')
It was also the first game I ever played online, that for me was something magical at the time.

benken2202001

I remember using the Doom 3D Guru to build and manipulate the sprites and levels to customize the game. My favorite custom Doom 3D was Simpsons Doom 3D.

psycros

A friend of mine told me that Doom was the hottest thing going at this college, so I had another buddy who ran a local BBS download it at blazing 56k HST speed. When a few of us saw it running on the admin's machine for the first time, our jaws were on the floor. This was Wolfenstein on radioactive steroids - the engine was a quantum leap ahead. It was truly scary. And it didn't take long before it was the #1 download on the board. I made sound WADs for Doom that my friends really liked. Even tried some map making but I sucked at it..I have no grasp of 3D design. Co-op Doom was so much fun that to this day I really can't enjoy a deathmatch FPS..its gotta be co-op.

LNCPapa

TS Special Forces
Doom was it for me. I had to get a larger hard drive because of all the maps I was making and tools I was installing. I remember everyone thought I was crazy because I got 2 GB of total space for this and still didn't have room for everything.

EClyde

My favorite part of Doom was the Marine scream when he fragged himself with a rocket.

IAMTHESTIG

I never really played doom but I was in middle school when Quake 1 came out... we played that every day in the IPX based Novell network during computer class and break. Ahhh those are the days, such fond memories...

G

I remember playing Doom when it first came out and it was awesome. Playing across a LAN at work was a blast.

G

Prince of Persia, Doom, Command and Conquer, Age of Empires all these are classics. I still enjoy playing the Age of Empires II HD in Steam.
I remember the last level of doom ii with the all those mobs makes my 80386 SX run at 1 fps :)

rhik1984

First came prince of persia. it got me addicted to computer gaming. I used to play it at my teacher's house. I was 8 or something! then came doom, OMG! Blood was a close competetitor. It gave me time to spend with my dad when I was a kid. I used to fire. he used to navigate! Those were the best days of my life! :)

G

The codes/cheats are still implanted into my memory and I haven't played it in well over 15 years....
IDKFA
IDDQD
IDSPISPOPD

I always found wolfenstein 3D to be more fun. Doom was cool but I would have preferred Wolfenstein 2.

But there WAS a Wolfenstein 2. Two of them, in fact. The first was the prequel Spear of Destiny, and then there was the (kinda) spiritual-successor Rise of the Triad.