2019 iPhones to feature 12-megapixel front-facing cameras, special lens-hiding coating...

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Revered TF International Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo in his latest research note (via MacRumors) said he believes all three 2019 iPhone models will feature a single 12-megapixel front-facing camera, replacing the 7-megapixel shooter found on the iPhone XR, iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max.

The new iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max models, Kuo added, will ship with 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch OLED displays, respectively. The rear-mounted triple camera system on these phones will consist of a 12-megapixel telephoto lens, a 12-megapixel wide-angle lens and a 12-megapixel super wide-angle lens from Sony.

What’s more, Kuo said the super wide-angle lens and the front lens on the next iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max will utilize a black lens coating that’ll make their presence far less obvious. A similar rumor regarding this coating technology first surfaced late last year.

The 6.1-inch LCD model, meanwhile, will likely have a dual rear-facing camera although Kuo didn’t provide any detailed specifications. The current-gen iPhone XR only has a single rear-mounted camera lens.

Renders of Apple’s rear-facing triple camera system recently hit the web and the feedback hasn’t exactly been positive. It’s possible that the design will change before the final product enters mass production; if not, those hoping for a return to flush-mounted rear cameras are in for a rude awakening.

Lead image courtesy hurricanehank via Shutterstock. Second image courtesy @OnLeaks

Permalink to story.

yRaz

But iPhone cameras are already the gold standard in the industry, is this a sign that we are running out of ideas for new magical space rectangles?

QuantumPhysics

I see no reason to upgrade from my 512GB XS Max until a 1TB model comes to market.

Furthermore, what's the point of all the extra cameras and Megapixels at this point?

#1 Facebook and other social media channels downgrade the image quality and the video quality. Uploading a 4K video to Facebook results in it being decreased to 720p. Youtube is probably the only websit I use that lets you upload 4K @ 60fps.

#2 The photos look fabulous but they are now so large in file size that my favorite sites disallow me from posting them. I usually upload them to Facebook first so I can copy paste them after Facebook downgrades them.

At this point, I think we are seeing diminishing returns.

The entire point of these cameras is to take pics and share them on social media, but the Social media sites downgrade them.

When I had a 256GB version, of the iPhone - X, the storage space ran out after 6 hours of video because 4K60fps takes up a lot of space.

With 512GB and 490GB free, I can shoot around 8 Hours of video at 4K60fps - which is pretty much the Gold standard for internet video. I don't see "8K any time soon" - that would be a waste of resources.

I'll wait till 1TB is available.

johnehoffman

Sadly, most cellphone reviews, including those on Techspot, concentrate on cosmetics and induce makers to design phones with cosmetics overriding functionality. That raises prices of new phones and makes them more fragile, and in many cases less functional. So, we now have:
1. Phones whose batteries cannot be replaced by the user. This is to make the back prettier, even though most people have the backs covered by cases, and even though most people who use phones without cases rarely spend much time looking at the back of the phone. I've replaced the battery twice on my Note 4 at a cost of about $20 each time. Replacing the battery on a newer phone which requires a serviceman to replace the battery would cost much more.

2. Phones with wraparound glass on the front may look pretty but are significantly more expensive to make and are much more fragile. The wraparound glass adds zero functionality.

3. Bezelless phones again are pretty but add little in the way of functionality. The displays cost more. The effort to make the display occupy the entire front of the phone results in silly attempts to hide the cameras and other necesssary controls. I doubt that in-display controls will ever work as well as separate controls on a bezel. Popup cameras are unnecessarily fragile. The article above is about coating the camera lenses in black to make them less visible. That probably also degrades camera functionality by reducing the amount of light reaching the camera sensor.
4. Foldable phones are the newest ***** idea. Folding and unfolding a flexible piece of plastic repeatedly will soon result in a visible fold line and permanent damage to the plastic will eventually result. Add electronics printed onto the sheet of plastic and failure of the display during the expected lifetime for a phone becomes highly probable.

I'd love to see a new phone with the latest processor, a reasonable amount of memory and storage, a replaceable battery, quality cameras, especially the rear facing ones--I don't need to take pictures of myself--and a good quality flat screen, for $600 or less. I do not wish to pay $1000+ for phones designed mainly to look good in the box and in ads, without adding any useful functionality for the extra $400-500. A decent battery capable of lasting a whole day on a single charge and with fairly fast recharging is also a necessity.

p51d007

Oh but Apple will be applauded by "increasing the MP count" on the phone as a new "exciting" revolution. A sensor with an 8MP count, can PRINT a good image, in an 8"x10" format, which is a photo you would typically have on a nightstand, office desk etc. Who the h*** prints anymore? Mostly, the front facing camera is for selfies, instagram, twitter, facebook etc. Increasing the MP count, is good for zoom/cropping for the most part. An increase in the MP count, in such SMALL sensors, can increase the signal to noise ratio, (noise) in less than ideal lighting conditions, requiring the processing software to try and mask out the noise.