2GB extension to 1GB ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there,

my computer is currently running on a 1gb ram chip and i have slots for more ram can i put a 2gb ram in one of the extension slots and have the computer running on 3gb of ram? i have heard the chips have to be identical but i was not sure.

no issues - as long as you're using a modern mb and you're wearing brown pants. otherwise, check the board manual.

amagnien, why, if i may ask?

and if you're touting dual channel, remember, it's 3gb against 2gb...

Depending on the application, 2 GB running dual channel might be better than 3 GB running single channel because the dual channel configuration has twice the memory bandwidth.

Depending on the application, 2 GB running dual channel might be better than 3 GB running single channel because the dual channel configuration has twice the memory bandwidth.
so you are saying that i should just buy another 1 gb chip instead would that be faster than relacing the 1gb chip i have with a 2gb chip? would putting a 2 gb chip in with my 1gb chip make it slower than just putting either another 1gb chip or a 2 gb chip by itself?

twice the theoretical bandwidth. In real life applications, dual channel memory never actually has twice the bandwidth of single channel. And what OS are you using? With windows xp, there is no point upgrading to 3 gigs of ram, and you would be well off with 2, but with vista you should probably go with 3, since it uses much more resources.

twice the theoretical bandwidth. In real life applications, dual channel memory never actually has twice the bandwidth of single channel. And what OS are you using? With windows xp, there is no point upgrading to 3 gigs of ram, and you would be well off with 2, but with vista you should probably go with 3, since it uses much more resources.

im using windows xp amd athlon 2.20ghz 3500+ proccessor 64 bit

Well, to tell what type of ram it uses, you would need to know the model of the motherboard, or the type of ram already installed. If the computer is relatively new, it will most likely be ddr2 ram, but you would want to make sure. If you want to find out without opening your computer, google search and download cpu-z. Then click on "Memory" and "SPD" at the top, and it will tell you everything you need to know about the type of ram installed.

Well, to tell what type of ram it uses, you would need to know the model of the motherboard, or the type of ram already installed. If the computer is relatively new, it will most likely be ddr2 ram, but you would want to make sure. If you want to find out without opening your computer, google search and download cpu-z. Then click on "Memory" and "SPD" at the top, and it will tell you everything you need to know about the type of ram installed.

ok the ram is a ddr2 and the motherboard is ASUSTek M2V-TVM

What does cpu-z say by "maximum bandwidth" under SPD. There should be a four digit number, like 5300 or 6400, along with a megahertz value. the number tells you which type of ddr2 you have installed, and therefore which type you should get.

what does cpu-z say by "maximum bandwidth" under spd. There should be a four digit number, like 5300 or 6400, along with a megahertz value. The number tells you which type of ddr2 you have installed, and therefore which type you should get.

pc2-4300 (266 mhz) is it just me or are the 1gb ddr2 chips usually like 800mhz?

sometimes 800 mhz, but often less. Pc2 4300 can be used interchangeably with pc2 4200. DDR2 ram changes data twice per clock cycle, so the actual clock, which in your case is 266 mhz, is multiplied by two to get the clock speed that you normally would think of, which is 533 mhz. So ddr2 800 actually runs at 400 mhz, but its effective clock is 800 mhz. Here is an example of some ram that would work. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145525

sometimes 800 mhz, but often less. Pc2 4300 can be used interchangeably with pc2 4200. DDR2 ram changes data twice per clock cycle, so the actual clock, which in your case is 266 mhz, is multiplied by two to get the clock speed that you normally would think of, which is 533 mhz. So ddr2 800 actually runs at 400 mhz, but its effective clock is 800 mhz. Here is an example of some ram that would work. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145525

im still not sure how many pins it is though

so are you planning to get that to replace your current ram completely? And for getting 2 gigs of ddr2, this would be a much better deal
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146526

yes id rather completely replace it and im from new zealand so i dont really want to have anything shipped from america and that price over there is about equivilent to the price of the 1s i showed you over here. i was just wondering is hynix a good brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back