4 gig of ram with 32bit Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustin_ds3000

i have this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227289

in the task manager it shows i have 2557mb of physical memory but in control panel > system it shows i have 4gigs. is this ok or is something wrong. and when i right click desktop and got to personalize > display settings > advance settings it shows that my 980gtx+ has 1535mb total memory, 512 dedicated and 1023 shared system memory

sorry for the double post thing, kind of got my thinking about it after reading this https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=718669#post718669

Because Vista is a 32-bit operating system it will not utilize more than 3 gigs (some say 3.5) It takes a 64-bit OS to recognize and utilize 4 gigs of RAM (or more).

well here your clearly wrong, right now my vista 32bit is utilizing 3580mb or ram but 1023mb of it being used for my video card

i know this info. as to the fist link, my computer shows 4 gigs. i dont care about using all 4 gig, i just want to use more than the 2557mb out of the 3580mb i could be using. in other words how can i disable the shared memory on my video card

ok i just did some research and most places said to go into the bios to turn off shared memory, then i restarted my computer to get into the bios and looked around for 20 mins and couldn't find anything helpful

Perhaps doing further research into your particular motherboard and BIOS will be fruitful. By the way, nice rig.

i emailed GIGABYTE and hopefully they can help me out, thankz Route44 for the complement about the computer. i have been saving money for the last year to build this monster

well i emailed and searched everywhere and everything points to vista, i need to find a way to control how vista uses my ram

The 4 gigs of RAM in a 32bit OS thing has been discussed all over this board, and millions of places online. So be sure you understand that topic before getting too concerned with anything else.

Now that you know that. Vista SP1 made a cosmetic change, presumably intended to stop people wondering why 4GB of RAM isn't showing up, that cosmetic change was to make it actually report 4GB. It reports as 4 now, but that changes absolutely nothing on how the memory is actually addressed, that is still a 32bit OS issue, there is no way around that.

If it is absolutely critical to you that ALL 4GB of your RAM is available to you, then run a 64bit OS.

why does everyone think i want to use all of the 4 gigs of ram i have. did anyone really read this thread or just read the tittle and posted. i just want to know how to disable the shared memory on my video card because my 9800gtx+ has 1535mb total memory, 512 dedicated and 1023 shared system memory. so therefore if i disable the shared memory i will have 3.5 gigs of ram instead of 2.5gigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back