470 Watt PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adhmuz

Now I already know this is probably pushing the limits of what a 470 Watt Thermaltake TR2 PSU can handle but at the moment its running a Q6600 not OC'ed cause I don't want to completely kill my PSU, dual BFG 8800 GT OC2's, 4 SATA HDD, sound card, ethernet card, dvd multy drive, 6 case fans and 2 sticks of 800Mhz DDR2. The mother board is an Asus P5N-D. What would be the best method of really knowing how much juice I'm drawing from my PSU and I will be getting a new one in a couple of days, some suggestions would be nice. Factor in 4 sticks of 1066Mhz DDR2 and at least a 3.0 GHz OC for the CPU.

Thanks

Well as it turns out I was looking at the 750watt variant that my local PC components store has for $135 Canadian they of course sold there last one the same day I went to go pick one up for myself.

Man up and buy a 1000w, 70+ amps ftw! Plus chicks dig it :D

Let me know if you have any luck overclocking that chip on the P5N-D. I have the P5N-E, which I guess is notoriously bad with Quads, and I can't get a stable 3.0Ghz with a 1333FSB. I was able to run it at 3 but the more demanding apps kept crashing/freezing; the voltage was up too high imo. Doesn't really matter though, a 2.4Ghz Quad is really good and should handle pretty much anything you throw at it.

Your PSU's combined +12V current rating is probably for continous power, which explains why you've been able to run everything smoothly.

For a new PSU with the same system, the Corsair VX450 will be enough. For a new pair of video cards, I'd recommend the Seasonic-made PC Power & Cooling SIlencer 750 over the Corsair TX750W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back