5 Google Chrome Alternatives That Do Things Better

The thing everyone has seemed to have forgotten is competition is a thing, and nowadays everyone is obsessed with security, so what was once something new players used as selling points to get recognition, is now something everyone is doing. I mean if you want to swap browsers every couple years to "stay on top of security" then go for it. I'll wait until I'm told directly by security experts.

The average person will be fine with good passwords, updated software, default settings and using compatible hardware.

I've noticed that the same people so worried about security and telemetry are sure willing to do whatever it takes to run Windows 11 with incompatible hardware. It's quite funny to watch.

Personally I use Yandex Browser for general web browsing but use Firefox for any thing related to privacy.

Edge beats Chrome at work where my control is limited, but at home the latest FireFox is always my thing. It really lets me manage security easily without being quite such a pawn of Gates & Co.

To be honest I have tried all the others. Brave is certainly good but does a lousy job of cleaning up after itself. Leaves lot of garbage behind. Just like MS Word does. If you ever browse the folder where the document lives you may finds hundreds of useless temp files. In the case of Brave it left behind literally hundreds of "cache" files.

In my opinion Vivaldi is the BEST among the lot. Very clean. Does not block 2 GB ram even after exiting unlike Chrome & Edge. Does a clean exit. Does not leave 17 processes running in the background after exiting.

I've been using the FF ESR versions since the 4x branch as it's been far more stable then the always updating to latest/greatest features. As my secondary, I've found Edge to be usable and have even found Bing Search to be better then Google as they tend to me more relevant to what I'm searching for.

Edge is good now and I believe the only browser in this bunch that will receive 1080p video from Netflix. (Not sure if that applies to other Widevine streamers too.)

I've tried cutting Google out and what I found is that apparently I value convenience over privacy. Fully-invasive Google gets me the information I want almost instantly almost every time because it knows so much about me. Search engines working only from a search term usually take much more work to get there.

My desktop has plenty of RAM, CPU, and network bandwidth so I'm fine with Chrome using lots of resources to keep things quick.

So despite being fully informed and having downloaded most of these, I'm still usually on Chrome when I'm not on Edge.

This is getting old! It's the same old story, the big name's for the masses, and the rest are for "techies". I'll bet anything, most of your readers do not need to be told about the niche browsers, and the occasional reader who's not really into technical tinkering, cannot be bothered with all the necessary customization that those browsers require to make them truly superior.

I used Chrome until a few years ago when I went with, of all things, YouTube TV. Watch something on YT TV, and immediately YouTube recommendations were filled with videos about that show. Ads for that show or shows like it on various websites and in my email.

I switched to Firefox and its privacy controls made putting that bullshit to an end easy.
Then I went with Outlook for all my important email related stuff, and presto.

A life less watched.

Fed up with Brave and its ads (specially the crypto-related ones). I set up AdGuard to annihilate all ads in that browser. Now it is usable, at last.

I've mostly used FF (telemetry turned off) or its more privacy focused derivatives like LibreWolf. I don't think using browsers with invasive privacy practices is a good idea to start with, despite the fact they do offer some trivial benefits.

I've tried cutting Google out and what I found is that apparently I value convenience over privacy. Fully-invasive Google gets me the information I want almost instantly almost every time because it knows so much about me. Search engines working only from a search term usually take much more work to get there.

My desktop has plenty of RAM, CPU, and network bandwidth so I'm fine with Chrome using lots of resources to keep things quick.

So despite being fully informed and having downloaded most of these, I'm still usually on Chrome when I'm not on Edge.

Exact same boat here. People who think they're going to get around "the man" are fooling themselves. People dodging Chrome on PC turn around and use an Android or Apple phone. Some big corp is going to know your every move no matter which way you slice it.

My M.O. is Chrome for daily use, but if I want a really private search or session I use Brave as my secondary. Brave is set to erase *everything* on exit. I load it and then open a private window with Tor, whilst also using a VPN in Windows. I doubt even that is perfectly private or safe, but it's probably as close as an average user is going to get.

Exact same boat here. People who think they're going to get around "the man" are fooling themselves. People dodging Chrome on PC turn around and use an Android or Apple phone. Some big corp is going to know your every move no matter which way you slice it.

My M.O. is Chrome for daily use, but if I want a really private search or session I use Brave as my secondary. Brave is set to erase *everything* on exit. I load it and then open a private window with Tor, whilst also using a VPN in Windows. I doubt even that is perfectly private or safe, but it's probably as close as an average user is going to get.
Yes, I use Tor too when I need privacy. For the rest I use Chrome.

Back