500gb drive in Xtrastor enclosure, drive reads as 8gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I purchased 2 500gb Maxtor SATA hard drives. The first I installed internally, and it works fine. The second I installed inside an Xstrastor dual-bay external enclosure. The enclosure can connect via eSATA or USB. This drive is detected but is read as being only 8gb, whether connected via eSATA or USB. The enclosure is a raid enclosure, but I thought that if only one drive was installed in the enclosure, it would just be read as a single drive. I think I remember reading something about an 8gb limit on some old hardware, so perhaps I need a driver. My equipment is fairly new - MSI P6N Diamond motherboard, NX8800GT video card, 4gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 memory...anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Well, this was fixed, sort of. After holding down a reset button for 10 seconds, my drive is being detected via USB. However, it is no longer detected at all through onboard eSATA or eSATA adapter.

I've solved the problem. My motherboard comes with seven internal sata ports. Ports 6 and 7 are for RAID. I had to plug in the eSATA adapter into one of these ports to get it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back