60beat introduces GamePad accessory for iOS gaming

Jos

Staff

Smartphones may not be as suited for gaming as traditional handhelds from Sony and Nintendo, but that isn't stopping iOS and Android from dominating the mobile games market in terms of revenue. A number of factors have contributed to this phenomenal growth, such as the high adoption rate of new smartphones and tablets, and the super cheap prices for quality titles compared to those for dedicated portable gaming systems.

But for all the convenience of smartphones and tablets, we can hardly say that relying on touch controls is ideal for gaming. With that in mind a company called 60beat has launched the 60beat GamePad, which connects through the headphone jack to enable console-like controls on your iOS devices.

It sports a similar design to Sony’s PlayStation 3 controller and the button configuration is rather similar as well -- there are a couple of analog joysticks, a D-Pad, 10 action buttons and 3 menu buttons. The GamePad draws power from your iDevice, eliminating the hassle of changing dying batteries and making it heavy to hold.

Games have to be programmed to support the new device and so far only 2 titles support it: Bugdom 2 and Aftermath. But the accessory maker says a "full collection" of supported games will be added in February 2012. The 60beat GamePad is priced at $49.99 and is compatible with the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

Permalink to story.

Once again we ask, gaming on a mac? lol Why would we buy a control for something mac? This is silly if you ask me. Tablets and phones aren't for games other than plants versus zombies and angry birds.

Guest said:
Once again we ask, gaming on a mac? lol Why would we buy a control for something mac? This is silly if you ask me. Tablets and phones aren't for games other than plants versus zombies and angry birds.

I think board games are fantastic on the ipad. but those work great with touch controls :)

When cloud gaming gets going and 4g networks are up and running all your going to need is a tablet and controller for high end gaming.Onlive on android shows what can be done now and a controller is all that is missing.

The day cloud gaming becomes mainstream is the day I quit playing games. Where's the fun in it if you can't build and maintain your own rig to run games. It's almost like...*gasp* consoles...:(

Ranger12 said:
The day cloud gaming becomes mainstream is the day I quit playing games. Where's the fun in it if you can't build and maintain your own rig to run games. It's almost like...*gasp* consoles...:(

I'll drink to that!

2 weeks from now, one with "apple" stamped on it will be made and cost 200% m0ar

Ranger12 said:

You have a good point. Mobile gaming is the evolution of consoles. I remember the day when you could build a gaming rig and be proud of it. Nowadays, anyone can buy a console, and even worse, build a gaming computer without knowing at all what they're doing.

Ranger12 said:
+1 Can i mow your lawn?

Once again apple ignores the right way and goes to complex useless ideas.

At first instance this stomped me as ridiculous, but think about it, the gamepad idea may just be a little ahead of its time (or waiting for the right software). Tablets that are as powerful as a PS3 or Xbox 360 are around the corner. So what would prevent you from using, say an iPad as a fully integrated portable gaming console with a 10-inch screen? Forget touch, all you might need for this to work is a good suite of games, an Internet connection and a gamepad.

I say thumbs up for that prospect.

While I'm thinking of depressing things I might mention that cloud gaming may kill the modding community as well...someday I'll be telling my grandkids of the glory days of pc gaming....and they'll probably be like, "stfu noob, we're going to play halo 15 on our Xbox2160, from the CLOUD!" smh

I dunno... I can see the appeal of the gamepad, but I think they missed part of the aesthetic appeal of tablets in general - simple freedom with no clutter. Throwing a wire on to stick out and annoy the crap out of users just seems like a jump backwards. Sure, I know, no batteries, blah blah blah. But seriously, you think gamers (who are used to wireless controllers these days) are really worried about saving that extra weight by not needing batteries? Cause, you know, those 2 AA batteries can really break your back... Seems like in the "saving weight vs cable inconvenience" department, a wireless solution would usually prevail. Make it a bluetooth controller unit with rechargeable batteries and it's much more of a win, and much more in line with the tablet's convenience factor.

Don't put gaming on Iphone or Ipad down, some of the games have some great and clever ideas and they don't have to deal with working on a complex game engine or other hoops to get their ideas out.
People laughed at all sorts of ideas that we love.

To bad no HDMI port on iPads.At least that way you could play it on a bigger screen when available.
But some tablets do have HDMI that dont start with a "i". Be awesome to hook up to the home tv.When not out and about using the tablet. But Onlive™ has the right Idea once the 4g and above get going for portable devices. PC gaming is where it's at for me!
But with that said I m still with you Ranger12..

Ok guest, just to note, the iPad does have HDMI out via an adaptor and I believe it's 1080p so I guess you can use it with a bigger TV.

I agree it needs to be wireless though, if apple can stick an API in its next update that allows third party hardware makers to connect certain controls via bluetooth and then there is a standard that all games can use. I would then buy one as some games (GTA3 springs to mind) that I would love to play for extended sessions without the fiddley controls on a bigger screen but still powered from a portable device, would make seeing the grandparents more interesting that having to watch an old black & white film or toy story on the ps1 ...

Why would you make such a bulky piece of crap that prevents you from using your headphones?

Wouldn't it be a better idea to make a NES styled, ultra thin controller that plugs into your charging port instead?

Back