A constantly appearing blue screen at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kikka

Last night I shut down my laptop normally, with the option to install new windows updates. I didn´t monitor the process and just closed the lid after it had shut itself. This morning I turned my computer on, but right after the windows loading screen it gave me a bluescreen saying:
- - - - - - - -
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

If this is the first time...(now follows quite a bit of instructions and suggestions)...select safe mode.

(The blues screen ends in a "physical memory dump")
- - - - - - - -

After the memory dump is done, the laptop restarts itself and ends up to the same bluescreen. This process would go on forever if let. I have tried every single Safe Mode/Repair that the F8(advanced boot options) has to offer but it still doesn´t get further from the bluescreen after the "repair" is done and the computer restarted. I have never made any changes to the computer hardware.

My laptop specs:
- - - - - - - -
Manufacturer and model: Acer Aspire 5920G
CPU Type: Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80 GHz
Chip Type: GeForce 8600M GT
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC

Total Available Graphics Memory: 1023 MB
Dedicated Video Memory: 256 MB
Shared System Memory: 767 MB
Memory (RAM): 2,00 GB
System type: 32-bit Operating System, Windows Vista
- - - - - - - -

Any help is gravely needed and appreciated,

Kikka

A constantly appearing blue screen at startup, help is gravely needed and appreciated
Last night I shut down my laptop normally, with the option to install new windows updates. I didn´t monitor the process and just closed the lid after it had shut itself. This morning I turned my computer on, but right after the windows loading screen it gave me a bluescreen saying:
- - - - - - - -
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

If this is the first time...(now follows quite a bit of instructions and suggestions)...select safe mode.

(The blues screen ends in a "physical memory dump")
- - - - - - - -

After the memory dump is done, the laptop restarts itself and ends up to the same bluescreen. This process would go on forever if let. I have tried every single Safe Mode/Repair that the F8(advanced boot options) has to offer but it still doesn´t get further from the bluescreen after the "repair" is done and the computer restarted. I have never made any changes to the computer hardware.

My laptop specs:
- - - - - - - -
Manufacturer and model: Acer Aspire 5920G
CPU Type: Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80 GHz
Chip Type: GeForce 8600M GT
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC

Total Available Graphics Memory: 1023 MB
Dedicated Video Memory: 256 MB
Shared System Memory: 767 MB
Memory (RAM): 2,00 GB
System type: 32-bit Operating System, Windows Vista
- - - - - - - -

Any help is gravely needed and appreciated,

Kikka

What error code do your Blue Screens list? Examples would be 0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT or 0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

And, do they give any drivers following the code? For example vsdatant.sys or nv4_disp.dll.

If they have what were the error codes, etc.?

Thank you for your quick reply.

Yes, I have tried this and it returned to the same blue screen. However, first of all, it doesn´t let me do it as an administrator, instead a following message pops up "Your account has been disabled. Please see your system administrator" and when I use my user account, there is only one restore point and that is for yesterday "3/11/2009 7:34:21 PM Install: Windows Update". Furthermore, when I choose that restore point, it lets me choose only my C disk but not my D disk(I have only files in this disk, not programs). In the end, it still returns to the blue screen.

Thank you for your quick reply.

There is this text:
"Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x928E7D90, 0x928E7EDC, 0x82054430)"

However, it seems like the last 3 sequences "0x928E7D90, 0x928E7EDC, 0x82054430" change at each restart.

0x000000F4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
One of the many processes or threads crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. As a result, the system can no longer function. Specific causes are many, and often best resolved by a careful history of the problem and the circumstances of the error message.

For clarification, you were not getting any BSODs until you did the Windows updates, correct?

Firstly go to Control Panel -->Users
And confirm that you do not have any password set, on any account

Next click:
Start-->Run-> control userpasswords2
Tick the box "users must bla bla bla..."
Click on your user account
Untick the box
Click apply
Click ok (for the next windows that opens)
Then click ok

Restart

That might or might not let you get under way, but the cause of the original fault remains. I would suspect malware, but in other cases, simple conflicts between MS updates and existing software on your PC are possible. It would be good to let us know what your 'protection' software is, i.e. anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall. Anything unusual there?

For more possibilities https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic21621.html but start with the obvious things - check file corruption chkdsk /r etc

Correct, this is the first time I had a blue screen with my 2 year old laptop.

Thank you for your time and replies. I might not have said it clearly enough in the first post, but I indeed can´t get any further from that blue screen. How am I to follow your instructions of clicking start etc., when I can´t get to windows in the first place.?

I pay for the AVG full service including firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware.

start with the obvious things - check file corruption chkdsk /r etc

When I put that in the command prompt, it says: "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?" then I put Yes and it says: "Chkdsk could not schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts".

The issue now is being able to access your harddrive. I am not sure if you should look for advice under the Mobile forum or the Storage forum that deals with harddrives.

I suggest the Mobile forum first. Give them the details of your issue along with the error code. And make sure you tell them that this issue did not happen until after your Windows updated.

Thank you, I´ll try the mobile forum.

Suddenly, this morning it started normally! What checks and procedures should I go through now to find the cause and eliminate it?

I have merged your 3 threads and many posts into 1 thread, so as support can continue here only. No need for "trying" other forums at this stage

A sudden reversion to normal operation ? Almost unheard of, but makes one suspect a hardware fault. Unless, was something disconnected on the good boot?

To check out hardware, there is chkdsk /f, then download memtes86 and run for some hours. The laptop m/f ahould offer hardware tests - either onboard at boot time by special keys, or a supplied CD. Find the HDD manufacturer and download the m/f full testing suite and run for a few hours.

Malware might still be a possibility. Full scans from at least four different vendors might help. AVG you have, also try free Avast, Avira, free onlinne scans from various others.

You asked how can you run a windows program without getting past logon, but you mentioned being able to run a command prompt. That is what start>run is, right?

A sudden reversion to normal operation ? Almost unheard of, but makes one suspect a hardware fault. Unless, was something disconnected on the good boot?

It indeed seems exactly like a sudden reversion to normal operation. I did nothing differently to yesterday. The computer was as I let it yesterday and today I just had a fools try on the power button, and behold it worked!

I shall try all you recommended. Thanks for your help.

It came again, exactly the same Blue Screen of Death! This time windows was not updating anything, but I was running certain performance enhancing programs a moment before I shut down. Just like last time. These programs were: AVG virus scan, DiskDefragmenter and RegClean (I cleaned the registry and then disfragmented it).

It must we one of those or not? Because between these two BSoDs I have shut down the computer many times without problems. Every two weeks I run these programs to keep my computer performing well and before these two incidents I have had no problems at all. My only hope is that it suddenly reverses to normal operation again. Please help!

I would recommend a complete uninstalling of AVG. We've seen quite a few people here have issues with it and our recommendation has been to do a full uninstall. Make sure you use their removal tool to guarantee a complete removal of all things AVG.

How do I do it without getting to windows? I can´t get past start up.

This goes above my understanding! After 50 or so restarts, it suddenly reversed to normal operation again!

Blue screen's Back

Hello all,
I have been reading your above posts and i have the exact same problem, except i own a desktop PC. I run windows vista. I have had this screen before, last week, were it restarts to the blue screen, after loading windows (before logon screen). It loads a physical memory dump and at completion, restarts, kin a continuous cycle. Last weeks blue screen randomly fixed itself a day later, but before that i was speaking with tach support and he claimed it was a ram problem, like you have suggested. But now its back, this time i was restarting as windows wanted to install some updates. But as it was entering the shutdown screen i removed my wireless internet adapter, and the shutdown froze, so i held power button to restart. Upon restart lo and behold the blue screen is back, and now im stuck trying to fix it. Its still under warrenty so i can replace the ram, but there must be some other way. Please help, any is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back