A five-second video played in Safari is causing iPhones to freeze

Jos

Staff

A five-second video being shared online as a prank is causing Apple devices to slow down and eventually become completely unresponsive until a hard reset is performed. The glitch was showcased by EverythingApplePro in the video embedded above and appears to affect iOS versions from 5.1 to the latest beta version of iOS 10. After performing its own tests The Verge mentions that the video appears to only crash devices when it's sent as a link rather than simply transferred as a file.

The only way to recover from the crash is to hold the power button and home button at the same time for several seconds to perform a hard reset. It should be noted that a hard reset will not alter anything on your device, the iPhone will work as normal once it has rebooted this way.

Currently the top level domains hosting the video appear to be vk.com and testtrial.site90.net, though it could be hosted anywhere really. The bug isn’t believed to pose any security threats beyond annoying victims that fall for the prank, although for obvious reasons we're not linking to the video.

Vulnerabilities like this have surfaced in the past although Apple is usually quick to issue a fix. Back in 2015, the infamous “effective power” bug took the internet by storm, as it was discovered that a specific string of characters sent via text message to an iPhone would cause it to reboot.

Permalink to story.

And this bug will be fixed by Apple in a matter of weeks and every user across the globe will get the patch within a couple of days. I figure it'll be fixed in iOS 10.2 which is due out in a couple of weeks.

But if you're an Android user... uh... um... Where's my update? Oh sorry, we don't care about your device anymore. We want you to buy our shiny new device that's over there. BUY IT YOU DAMN CHEAPSKATE! Never mind the fact that in six months we're going to do the same thing to the device you just bought five minutes ago but hey.... Aren't you happy with that new device? Yes, yes you are you dumb user. Don't bother me while I count the money you just forked over.

You may not like what I just said but it's the truth. To the Android OEMs you are nothing but a means to an end, namely higher profits. They want you to keep having to buy new devices every year and to keep you on the upgrade treadmill because that makes them money by the tractor trailer full and as usual we keep falling for it hook, line, and sinker.

Meanwhile that two or three year old iPhone still continues to get software updates and more importantly they still receive important security updates. Remind me again what platform is best? Oh yeah... it's the iPhone.

Android is a lot better than iOS. Even with your 'updates' android can do so much more. There is more customization, you have more permissions, there are widgets, split-screen and at least you can afford a new phone if you buy a reasonably priced android. You claim that androids have the same thing every year, but the new iphone just has a faster cpu and is water proof (something androids have had for years.) And in terms of I/O the new iPhone has actually gone backward by removing the headphone jack.

Also with the touch disease on an iPhone apple decided to blame the users. Also, you know why apple uses the lightning port? To make money. That is it. Whenever someone creates a charger for and iPhone they have to pay a royalty to apple for everyone they sell. "To the Android OEMs you are nothing but a means to an end, namely higher profits." They literally took of the headphone jack to make more money selling adapters using their own port.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so you can customize an Android. Most people don't and would be much better off with an iPhone where they're guaranteed software updates to make sure that their device is safe.

No offense to the Android people but the Android people are the same people who get all riled up about Microsoft not doing their job but where are they when the Android OEMs aren't doing their jobs? Nowhere to be found. You wouldn't run a Windows machine without the latest Windows Updates or the latest Adobe Flash version yet an Android phone that's not seen updates let alone critical security updates for more than a year gets a pass. Where's the outrage? Where's the crowd with the pitchforks and torches storming the gates of the Android OEMs? Nowhere to be found.

Yes, the iPhone does have its flaws, I acknowledge that but Android devices have one huge glaring flaw and that is the fact that past the point of you handing over your hard earned cash to the Android OEM of your choice they pretty much don't give a rat's @ss about you and your device. How the Android community doesn't see this as a problem I will never know.

Around 50% of people are still running windows 7. Also what serious security flaws are you talking about? You claim that android OEMs don't carry about the customers, but apple is literally in it just for the money. Their new line of Macs are completely overpriced and there is no reason to use the lightning port besides for more money. They also blame users for an issue with their devices and charge a $150 to fix it. (Touchscreen disease)
You keep complaining about androids never getting updates, so if you wanted updates just get the google pixel or nexus phones. They are literally the exact same price as an iPhone and you don't have to pay $150 to fix a broken touch screen and you are getting the updates before any other android.

The Pixel is the start of what the Android world should have done from the very beginning, Google should have never relinquished control over their platform to begin with. It was utterly stupid on their behalf. Now I get the idea about open source and all of that, believe me, I like open source as much as the next geek but profit and open source generally do not get along and we can see that in how the Android OEMs took advantage of Google and Android. The OEMs practically ran roughshod over Google and Android, they took what was a beautiful concept and pretty much f***ed it hard with no lube.

Yes, the Pixel is Google taking back control over their platform. I applaud Google for doing that, I very much do. But, I still stand by the fact that if Google had not made the moronic move to begin with the Android world would have been much better off.

Android was one of the best decisions. You saw what happened to the windows phone when it tried to compete in the phone market. Android phones are the only competition to iPhones and in fact more people own androids now than iPhones. Android is an open source operating system and gave way for many companies to make phones based off android. If anything android was one of the best decisions Google made as it is one of the only things adding competition to the phone market.

OH CHILDREN - - Play nice and quit dumping on your neighbors- - someday you may need their help

Oh and would you look at that? జ్ఞా This symbol is causing iPhones to crash and still no issue like this on android has appeared.

Back