A handgun that folds up to look like a smartphone will be released later this year

midian182

Staff member

A handgun that can be folded up so it bears a striking resemblance to a smartphone is coming out later this year. The first product from Minnesota-based company Ideal Conceal, over 2500 people have already expressed an interest in purchasing the weapon when it is released.

The .380-caliber derringer, which will cost around $395, comes with two bullets loaded into two barrels. When folded into the locked position, the trigger and trigger guard are concealed by the grip, giving it the size, shape, and general appearance of a smartphone inside a case. It even comes with a clip, so it can be attached to a belt when folded.

"Ingeniously designed to resemble a smartphone, yet with one click of the safety it opens and is ready to fire," says the company website. "Smartphones are everywhere, so your new pistol will easily blend in with today's environment. In its locked position it will be virtually undetectable because it hides in plain sight."

While this isn’t the first folding pistol, or even the first to be shaped like a box, it’s thought to be the first one designed to not resemble a gun when folded – something that’s causing concern among law enforcement officials.

"In general, the concept of any kind of weapon that's disguised, so that it's not apparent that it's a weapon, would be cause for concern," said Bill Johnson, executive director and general counsel for the National Association of Police Organizations, to CNN Money.

Developer Kirk Kjellberg said he came up with the idea for the weapon when walking through a restaurant and a young boy saw his pistol (Kjellberg has a concealed carry permit).

"This little kid says, 'Mommy, Mommy, that man's got a gun,' so the whole restaurant looks at you like you're about to shoot the place up," he explained. "So I thought to myself there's got to be another way to be able to carry without bothering other people."

Some states may require owners of the pistol to have a concealed carry permit, but this will depend on state and local laws. Kjellberg said he is considering developing similar guns with different calibers and plans to introduce a semi-automatic version in 2018.

Permalink to story.

You want your crack to be searched? this is how you get it searched.

Why the hell would you carry a gun with you all the time, worse yet, hide it? This is why so many americans die because of guns. Even countries like Pakistan have lower homicide rates.

Because people don't feel safe? And not only in America, there you can have holstered or concealed guns, some other places you can't, obviously criminals don't abide by the law and people would like to get their own small piece of safety.

Why the hell would you carry a gun with you all the time, worse yet, hide it? This is why so many americans die because of guns. Even countries like Pakistan have lower homicide rates.

"An armed society is a polite society."

I carry a gun because im an American citizen and I am afforded the right to. It's good to be a citizen and not a subject.

Also, the wikipedia page for intentional homocide reports that Pakistan had 1600 more murders in the most recent reported year than the U.S. did while having a about 120 million less people. U.S. rate is 3.8 while Pakistan is 76.

Back to the gun. I don't see this taking off, they might sell a few as a novelty. But as a defensive handgun it has too many strikes against it. Tiny capacity, gotta unfold it to use it in an emergency, and based on how often my 10 month old wants to chew on my cell phone, I don't want a gun that looks like one.

It is NOT the law abiding legal carriers that are the ones killing people. It is the billions of ILLEGAL, and unregistered guns out there that are in the hands of the 'bad guys'. This is also why gun control doesn't work in a country where it wasn't there from the start. Bad guys will keep getting guns without any care what-so-ever to the rules they put in place.

Guns always provoke people to speak about things they have no knowledge of. A few quick statistics on Pakistan...

- 24% more crime than the United States
- 55% more violent crime than the United States
- 87% more murders per million than the United States

There's also Brazil, which has fairly harsh gun regulations.

- 40% more crime than the United States
- 600% more murders per million than the United States
- 6% more assault and armed robbery than the United States

Source: Nation Master

There are similar relationships in other countries with reported low "private" firearms ownership. One of which being Ethiopia, which has next to no reported ownership but 50% more murders.

People carry because there are dangeous neighborhoods and the thugs don't always confine themselves to the ghetto. They do generally tend to respect the possibility of being lit up, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazy American with theirs guns.

All the Yeah, but I feel so much more safe when I carry my gun" thing is so stupid. Looks at the statistics a little and you will see how often people die to gun in Us compared to anywhere else. I guess they got some pink glasses thinking everyone carrying a gun is obviously totally mentally stable... I'm not sure I would feels so safe knowing that a huge portion of the population have firearm on them knowing how stupid people are in general.

Now people will be talking loudly into on the bus/train. If this gets popular some shady cops will use it as a excuse to shoot people on their cell phone.

Now people will be talking loudly into on the bus/train. If this gets popular some shady cops will use it as a excuse to shoot people on their cell phone.
Especially shooting black people, like: Oh I thought you were gonna kill someone, I'm sorry for the 6 warning shots in the back.

All the Yeah, but I feel so much more safe when I carry my gun" thing is so stupid. Looks at the statistics a little and you will see how often people die to gun in Us compared to anywhere else. I guess they got some pink glasses thinking everyone carrying a gun is obviously totally mentally stable... I'm not sure I would feels so safe knowing that a huge portion of the population have firearm on them knowing how stupid people are in general.
Law abiding license holders are not the ones killing people on a regular basis.

Americans die because they carry guns? You do realize that statistics have shown that people with concealed carry permits are the most law abiding group, Including the police force(Results from Florida in 2013)? Also, the homicide rate is much higher in "gun-free" zones, because criminals willing to kill someone are also willing to break the law and get a gun.

http://crimeresearch.org/2013/12/murder-and-homicide-rates-before-and-after-gun-bans/

Well that didn't take long to explode into a political argument...

Anyway, not sure how useful this is except for people who want to carry a gun in places that check to make sure you aren't carrying. Two rounds isn't going to do much anyway unless you hit'em where it counts, and even still you have to unfold the thing to fire it. Who wants to cowboy duel? I'll carry a Glock with two rounds and you carry this thing, we'll see who gets two rounds off first.

So now when a cop shoots a kid with a cell phone and they use the "I thought he pulled out a gun" argument, it can be backed up with this. Just great.

Guns always provoke people to speak about things they have no knowledge of. A few quick statistics on Pakistan...

- 24% more crime than the United States
- 55% more violent crime than the United States
- 87% more murders per million than the United States

There's also Brazil, which has fairly harsh gun regulations.

- 40% more crime than the United States
- 600% more murders per million than the United States
- 6% more assault and armed robbery than the United States

Source: Nation Master

There are similar relationships in other countries with reported low "private" firearms ownership. One of which being Ethiopia, which has next to no reported ownership but 50% more murders.

People carry because there are dangeous neighborhoods and the thugs don't always confine themselves to the ghetto. They do generally tend to respect the possibility of being lit up, though.
I think you need to research better. when it comes to gun related murders Pakistan is lower than the US which has an average of 4.5 from 100k people.

All of you are insane. Any civilised country keeps guns from reaching civilians. Only the US encourages people to buy guns for "protection". Why do they need protection? Because it's impossible to keep track of so many guns and you end up with situations where even kids have illegal guns.
What should be done is a massive (and expensive) clean sweep of the country. Otherwise we'll keep seeing news where kids shoot others or worse yet school shootings.
The wild west doesn't exist anymore.

PS: davislane1, the fact that the US is even mentioned together with some of the worst places to live in the world just proves my point. In Ethiopia, 2-3 years ago people were dying of hunger after 2 years of some of the worst drought ever seen by them. The overall mortality rate was 7.4 out of 10,000 per day back then. Human rights there barely function there as they constantly in conflict or near conflict.

Well, no more carrying your cell phones on planes. This is just stupid! Make it easier for terrorists!

What a world we live in, what a world!

All of you are insane.

Luckily, we not only have the right to blabber freely here, or elsewhere, but we also have the ability to migrate to any country that accepts migrants. Allow me to welcome you to migrate elsewhere if our Constitution, including it's amendments, and Bill of Rights bother you so greatly.

Pretty sure a "clean sweep" of the nation, in an effort to purge all firearms, would fall more in line with a Communistic society, rather than a Democratic one. ... Or maybe I'm just still high from all the drugs I used before I ran down public streets firing wildly a few hours ago. :shrug:

Luckily, we not only have the right to blabber freely here, or elsewhere, but we also have the ability to migrate to any country that accepts migrants. Allow me to welcome you to migrate elsewhere if our Constitution, including it's amendments, and Bill of Rights bother you so greatly.

Pretty sure a "clean sweep" of the nation, in an effort to purge all firearms, would fall more in line with a Communistic society, rather than a Democratic one. ... Or maybe I'm just still high from all the drugs I used before I ran down public streets firing wildly a few hours ago. :shrug:
you maybe not. you don't sound like you would have the balls to do it, but I'm sure someone did it for you ^_^
and what does communism have to do with firearms? I always hear this stupid excuse. it's like you don't feel free without having a gun in your pocket. it must be hard to life in constant fear of those around you.

"An armed society is a polite society."

I carry a gun because im an American citizen and I am afforded the right to. It's good to be a citizen and not a subject.

Also, the wikipedia page for intentional homocide reports that Pakistan had 1600 more murders in the most recent reported year than the U.S. did while having a about 120 million less people. U.S. rate is 3.8 while Pakistan is 76.

Back to the gun. I don't see this taking off, they might sell a few as a novelty. But as a defensive handgun it has too many strikes against it. Tiny capacity, gotta unfold it to use it in an emergency, and based on how often my 10 month old wants to chew on my cell phone, I don't want a gun that looks like one.
I think it's absolutely hilarious that you would compare your country's homicide rate to that of Pakistan. The only thing in your comment funnier than that is the line "I carry a gun because im an American citizen and I am afforded the right to" that just speaks for itself, so I'm not even going to dignify that with a response. What America needs is a law that *requires* everyone to carry a gun at all times, and all disputes, disagreements, and arguments shall be settled with a gun fight. It would be totally awesome. Let the problem take care of itself.

Back