A rebooted version of the indestructible Nokia 3310 will be at Mobile World Congress

midian182

Staff member

The Nokia 3310 will forever be lovingly remembered, not only as some people’s first cell phone but also for the fact that it was a near-indestructible piece of technology - the very antitheses of today’s smartphones, many of which smash far too easily. But it seems that a rebooted version of Nokia’s classic handset is on its way, and will be announced at Mobile World Congress in a couple of weeks.

Back in December, it was reported that the first Nokia-branded smartphones running Android would arrive in the first half of this year, the result of Finnish company HMD Global Oy's licensing deal that gives it exclusive rights to the Nokia name for the next decade.

Now, VentureBeat’s reliable leaker, Evan Blass, says HMD will launch four Nokia handsets at the company’s press event on February 26. In addition to the Nokia 6, which is already available in China, the Nokia 5, and the Nokia 3, a modern version of the classic 3310 will be unveiled.

The updated handset will reportedly cost just €59 (around $63). Its functionality will be limited, but the extra-long battery life, cheapness, and ruggedness could see it become a popular emergency backup phone, especially among retro fans.

The other Nokia devices on show are aimed at the lower to mid-range end of the market. They all run Android 7.0 and will cost from €150 up to €250 for the Nokia 6 ($160 to $266).

The new 3310 is being primarily targeted at European consumers; no word on when or if it will come to the US. But should it prove successful on launch, expect to enjoy games of Snake on an homage to the toughest phone of all time soon enough.

Permalink to story.

"The new 3310 is being primarily targeted at European consumers; no word on when or if it will come to the US."

That's because carriers can't justify smacking it on a plan and then charging premium for the 'benefit' of getting it on the 'cheap'.

That aside, I'll probably be getting one as a back-up device. Heavens know I've had to resort my an old back up on more than one occasion, it'll be nice to have one I know I can hand down to my grand-children!

Nokia 6 is available in the Philippines unofficially via lazada for 18590php (1$ u.s. = ~49.94php). other competitors' snapdragon 430-powered phones are sold for much less...

"The new 3310 is being primarily targeted at European consumers; no word on when or if it will come to the US."

That's because carriers can't justify smacking it on a plan and then charging premium for the 'benefit' of getting it on the 'cheap'.

That aside, I'll probably be getting one as a back-up device. Heavens know I've had to resort my an old back up on more than one occasion, it'll be nice to have one I know I can hand down to my grand-children!
Why would anyone buy it on a plan? For it's suggested price, why not just scratch in your cars centre console for the loose change to buy it outright?

Yeah, I remember having one, it was the 4th mobile device I owned. I can't attest to it's toughness though, I'm not the clumsy, heavy handed type but I believe it could stand up to a beating. I still have my 3310... 3330 actually, packed away in my house. In fact I still have all of the mobile devices I've ever owned, apart from a Motorola StarTac which I gave away and now I'm sorry I did. It didn't last the recipient much longer than a month before they managed to destroy it yet it lasted and served me perfectly for two years. It would've stood out in my collection with it's enormous extended battery, credit card sized SIM card and retractable aerial.

Oh I remember those days. I got the 5510, then 3210 and 3310 and then went to symbian the n90. I still have in the drawer a 2010 nokia n82 with carl zeiss lens. Im glad they are out of the smartphone race as their offering before was not really worth the money during those times.

I had one of those babies... I may get one as a backup but I still have an old Razer v3i for that purpose.

Back