A retailer is taking PlayStation 5 pre-orders

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Sony earlier this week revealed several details about the PlayStation 5, including its “holidays 2020” release window, but one thing it never unveiled was the price. Yet one Dutch retailer has put the console up for pre-order.

Netherlands-based 76 Game Mania is allowing the country’s residents to reserve a PlayStation 5 for €50 ($55). When the next-gen machine is launched, that money will be taken off its price.

As reported by Lets Go Digital, reserving the PS5 ensures buyers are placed on a waiting list to get one of the consoles from the first batch of inventory that 76 Game Mania receives.

It’s suspected that the PlayStation 5 will be around $500 when it arrives in time for the holidays next year. And while putting a deposit down on something that doesn’t have an official price might sound questionable, plenty of people won’t care, as long as they’re first in line to grab one of Sony’s machines.

We now know that the PS5 will feature a redesigned controller that replaces the rumble technology with haptic feedback. It also has a solid-state drive and optical drive that doubles as a 4K Bluray player, as well as hardware-level ray tracing support. Games, meanwhile, will come on 100GB discs, and their installations can be configured, meaning users can install only a single-player campaign, if they wish. Additionally, there’s its 120Hz/4K support and backward compatibility.

As expected, Sony’s upcoming console will be competing with Microsoft’s next-gen Project Scarlett, which shares several of its rival’s features.

Permalink to story.

Pre-orders with "balance due upon receipt" is certainly nothing new ... but it is a pretty good indicator of potential popularity, which the Mfg. love since he helps them project stocking needs .....

I'm surprised it will still have a disc drive. I haven't had one in my PC for 8 or 9 years. I suppose it's important for markets without decent internet.

I'm surprised it will still have a disc drive. I haven't had one in my PC for 8 or 9 years. I suppose it's important for markets without decent internet.
I'm personally not a fan of digital only consoles. Being able to trade games is still important for me, and not having to buy a separate 4k Blu Ray player is great too. Granted my Xbox One S has one, but once the next gen machines come out, I'll sell off tje games the kids don't play, move that into one of their rooms, and put the newer one in the living room.

Streaming is great, but with all the compression they use, it pales compared to a 4k disc.

I'm pretty pleased that it does. PC is still very much a different market for game sales than console, because at least you have dozens and dozens of different outlets and platforms to buy game content from, even if you frequently end up activating it on heavyweights like Steam.

This means more fragmentation with various launchers, but I can live with that. Because it also guarantees competition and good deals. Whereas if you're tied to Sony's store alone then they would dictate all.

Last week I picked up the humble bundle for $12, the one right now. Crash trilogy, Spyro trilogy (this is only a month old on PC!) and COD WW2. Amazing deal. Never seen anything like that on a console store, ever. One of my many notable steals was when I bagged GTA5 on PC for launch from some South American site for $18. Happens frequently on PC.

So knowing PS5 has a disc drive is reassuring and certainly gives a green light to pick one up when it has some titles worth playing.

Last edited:

I wouldn't buy a console without a disk drive even though I have a PC without one ;-P

Gamers dropping money on something with only a miniscule amount of information or even seeing the finished product at all??!!

well color me surprised

Then it'll be time for me to get a PS4. Reduced price, large library also at reduced prices. I don't play MMO's so I can comfortably stay a generation back.

There is one caveat though. If it has backward compatibility with PS4 discs, then I can comfortably skip the PS4.

Back