Inactive [A] System Check malware partial removal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the System Check malware tonight. McAfee (came free with my one month old computer) automatically blocked a couple of Trojans at time of attack. I immediately ran a full computer scan with McAfee. It found something and removed it. I also went to Microsoft and ran the safety scanner. It found one Trojan and removed it and partially removed another. I clicked on a link in the results to update and fully remove. After that, I updated Malwarebytes and ran it. It found two objects and removed them. Then I restarted and ran Malwarebytes again. It found nothing. I ran TDSSKiller and it also found nothing. I don't have the annoying System Check messages anymore, but I still have only a couple of icons on my desktop and my Start Menu is empty. I can find programs if I do a Search. What else do I need to do?
Here is my first Malwarebytes scan log:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.60.0.1800
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.01.03.01

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
Amanda :: ALL-PC [administrator]

1/3/2012 1:25:09 AM
mbam-log-2012-01-03 (01-25-09).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 175152
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 8 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 2
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced|Start_ShowMyComputer (PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and repaired successfully.
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced|Start_ShowSearch (PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and repaired successfully.

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

And here is the latest malwarebytes log:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.60.0.1800
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.01.03.01

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
Amanda :: ALL-PC [administrator]

1/3/2012 2:01:30 AM
mbam-log-2012-01-03 (02-01-30).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 175751
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 37 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

Welcome aboard
yahooo.gif

Please, complete all steps listed here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
Make sure, you PASTE all logs. If some log exceeds 50,000 characters post limit, split it between couple of replies.
Attached logs won't be reviewed.

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

===================================================================================

Let's see, if we can recover your missing features.
Download and run UnHide
Let me know, if it worked.

UnHide seems to have worked for the most part. I don't see the shortcuts in the start menu, or the portions on the right side of the start menu such as My Documents, Control Panel, Pictures, etc. that used to be there. However, when I go into All Programs, it seems everything is there, and if I search for "My Documents" it actually finds them now.

I don't see the shortcuts in the start menu
That menu is made by two sections.

The upper portion are pinned programs.
You can pin any program by right clicking on it and then clicking on "Pin to start menu"
Right click on Start button, click "Properties" and "Start menu" tab.

Bottom part are frequently used programs.
Make sure both boxes are checked in "Privacy" section.
When you do this the above section will repopulate over time.

or the portions on the right side of the start menu such as My Documents, Control Panel, Pictures, etc. that used to be there
While at "Start menu" tab, click on "Customize" tab and checkmark all items you want see on right hand side.

Then....

Please, complete all steps listed here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
Make sure, you PASTE all logs. If some log exceeds 50,000 characters post limit, split it between couple of replies.
Attached logs won't be reviewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back