A user or not a user?

redmike

Just getting ready to take my old Vista laptop on vacation with me and I noticed ..

If I go to to users, then only my Administrator name is there.

And if I try to change log-in to a different user. then only my name is there.

But if I go to C: users, then an additional user name and folder are listed there.

Any help with either removing, or preventing the additional name and folder from showing would be much appreciated.

Michael

It may just be me, but I'm not sure your post is clear enough to get good responses. Can you be more explicit about what you are doing when you say you 'go to users' and if you 'go to c: users' ?

If possible, screen shots would be good.

Hit Start, and type in "Edit local users" and click the first entry. I'm doing this on Win7, so I dunno how you'll go on Vista sorry..

Alternatively, on your first screeny: click 'configure advanced user profile properties'. Or, 'manage another account', hit the advanced tab, then the advanced button.

You could have some user accounts that WERE there, but got deleted, etc.

Hit Start, and type in "Edit local users" and click the first entry. I'm doing this on Win7, so I dunno how you'll go on Vista sorry..

Alternatively, on your first screeny: click 'configure advanced user profile properties'. Or, 'manage another account', hit the advanced tab, then the advanced button.

Th

My pc has W7 but this is just an old (4 years) old laptop to take on vacation.

Alternative solution brought results; but what should I delete?

http://i47.tinypic.com/23tzcg.jpg

The first one.

Doesn't look like it's linked to the folder in c:\users, though.

You can either delete it, or leave it there. No harm in leaving it.

The user panel says that the user (administrator) is Michael but look what the dos prompt says.

Thanks

Michael

net user.jpg

OK it's working 100% now.

The problem was a corrupted profile.

I could have continued with the way it was (Streisand?) but I've learned to pay attention to surface things like icebergs.

You hear a squeak in your car and don't fix it and suddenly your radiator blows, the engine overheats and ...

Thank you all for your help.

http://i50.tinypic.com/73mhjs.jpg

Back