Acer Aspire 5610z will not turn on, even when plugged in

drew081886

My sister "inherited" a used Acer Aspire 5610z from a friend of hers. It was not at all well maintained, so I decided the best thing to do would be to wipe it clean and install Windows XP (I had a copy of XP already). I had a few hang ups finding drivers, but after some work I got everything functioning correctly.

When I finally got it working, the battery would not hold a charge for more than about ten minutes. it worked fine while plugged in, but once unplugged, the battery drained quickly. I charged it for an entire night after I finished the downgrade, and it still would not hold a charge, so I'm assuming the battery is shot.

And now today the laptop will not turn on at all, even when plugged into a power source. It worked fine as recently as last night, but now the power indicator comes on for about a second and then turns back off. A few things:

I'm pretty sure the previous owner of this laptop did not maintain it very well at all, and hardly ever used it, so the battery was hardly ever charged. I don't know if this makes a difference. When he gave it to her, he did not have the original charger, so I had to buy one online. The power supply I bought gets very hot when it's connected. Again, I don't know if this makes a difference, but I found it odd.

I read somewhere that I should remove the battery and the power supply, hold the power button for 30 seconds, re-insert the main power, power on the computer, and insert the battery. I followed those steps, but they did not work.

I suspect the battery is just shot. But before I go and drop $100 on a new battery, I would like to make sure there is nothing else I can do. I apologize for the lengthy post, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would agree its a battery problem too.

Double check your power supply voltages and laptop power socket for damage, Other than that. New battery :)

Well even if the battery was shot, shouldn't it still power on when plugged into the wall? I know very little about electronics so I don't know if I'm at risk of overheating the power supply and frying the whole thing but I'm a little concerned with how hot the brick on the power supply gets.

The power supply isn't showing any damage, nor is the socket on the computer. The power supply I bought says: input: 100-240v output: 19v 3.42A. This matches the DC rating listed on the bottom of the computer. Again, I'm ignorant to what all of this means, but the heat concerns me. Could that be a problem?

Back