Acer readying Chrome OS devices for early June launch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

After the initial uprising over Chrome OS, Google's Web-centered operating system, the project kind of fell off the radar – but it's about to make headlines again. Sources tell VentureBeat that Acer is preparing to unveil several devices with Chrome OS at Computex Taipei, which runs from June 1 to June 5.

What exactly those devices are remains a mystery until then. Since Chrome OS is intended for netbooks, smartbooks, tablets, and other lightweight connected machines, it seems likely that Acer will show something of that nature – especially given its history with netbooks and with the sudden craze over slates.

We're less curious about the hardware aspect anyhow, assuming it's along the same lines of what we've seen for the last few years. The real spotlight is on Google's new operating system as it's still unclear how Chrome OS will coexist Android and its ever-mounting army of gadgets.

Permalink to story.

I have high hopes for a Google Chrome OS Netbook but this "Information not store on the computer" thing just makes me feel uneasy that my personal files are not safe. I feel making it an option to be able to store some/all information on the hd can be a good compromise. If you have alot space available you should atleast be able to put it to good use, plus if for some reason your internet goes out you lose access to all your information. This OS is probably great for tablets.

the whole information not stored on the computer is very off putting, the internet OS is interesting. It will suck big time when your ISP has "technical difficulties", which begs the question and please excuse my ignorance as i have relatively no knowledge of Chrome OS does, anyone know what will happen when you can't get an internet connection?

The smartest thing Google could do would be to incorporate the ability to run any of the Android apps right from the Chrome OS. Then there would be no questions about "coexisting" and the platforms competing, etc. The small kernel Android would be on the small mobile stuff, and Chrome OS on the more powerful things like tablets and netbooks. Blur the lines, share the extensive app library of Android, and both platforms win.

It will also be interesting to see how the module to run external x86-based code in Chrome pans out. They just announced that, and many are rolling their eyes and comparing it to ActiveX (and the associated security issues). But if the Chrome OS architecture keeps the individual tab processes and sandbox methods that the Chrome browser uses for security, the ability to run standard PC apps from the Chrome OS should be very secure (unlike ActiveX).

not invasive enough

But will it have an always-on, live streaming webcam so I can feed even more information to the datamining company, google?

When will the cybernetic OS implants be available?

:stickout:

I wonder if there will be an option to back-up your cloud data to a USB, External Drive, or another computer. It shouldn't be too difficult to implement and would be a nice feature for people who do not fully trust cloud computing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back