Acer to rebadge ultra-thin notebooks with Gateway logo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

According to industry sources cited by DigiTimes, Acer may transfer most of its ultra-thin notebooks to the Gateway brand name as part of a new laptop strategy. The new rumor suggests that after Acer clears its existing stock of 13 to 15-inch ultra-thin notebooks, it will begin branding them with the all-too-familiar bovine logo.

Apparently, Acer's 11.6-inch Aspire Timeline models are the only systems in the ultra-thin form factor that will remain unchanged. Interestingly, a couple new 14 and 15-inch ultra-thin notebooks were released under the Gateway brand earlier this week, but it's not clear whether that has anything to do with today's rumor.

There's no real explanation for the shift, but the source did provide other details. Acer has moved production of its 11.6-inch and 13.3-inch ultra-thins from Quanta Computer and Inventec to Wistron, and the company is preparing to launch several ultra-thin devices using Intel's recently launched Core i3-330UM, i5-430UM and 540UM, and i7-660UM ULV chips.

Permalink to story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back