Acer unveils $199 Intel-powered Chromebook, goes on sale tomorrow

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Last month Google announced a new sleek Samsung-branded Chromebook intended for everyday computing tasks. The $249 price tag seemed attractive enough in this post-netbook era but now Acer has launched a Chromebook of their own priced at just $199.

The C7 Chromebook is powered by a 1.1GHz Intel Celeron 847 processor, unlike the ARM chip found in Samsung’s offering. As Geek points out, it’s a decently fast chip that’s in line with older processors like the Core Due T2700 and the Core2 Duo T7250. It’s not a powerhouse chip by any stretch of the imagination, but it’s faster than an Intel Atom and should be able to handle common computing tasks without incident.

acer chromebook acer chromebook

Acer also elected to bump up the storage capacity on their Chromebook significantly by including a 320GB hard drive. It’s a lot of space for what is essentially a notebook that will be used to surf the web and check email. For comparison, the Samsung variant ships with just 16GB of flash storage.

As with most any tradeoff, there are pros and cons to weigh here. While the Acer delivers a ton more storage space, it comes at a cost: speed. The physical hard drive in this system will be much slower than the zippy flash storage found in the Samsung system.

Other specifications include an 11.6-inch, 1,366 x 768 resolution display and a battery that leaves a lot to be desired. Acer says the unit is good for up to 3.5 hours of life – that’s a full three hours less than Samsung’s Chromebook.

Interested parties can pick up an Acer Chromebook starting tomorrow at select retailers and through Google Play.

Permalink to story.

...goes on sale tomorrow
- and likely to the bin the next day.

I will give it two more generations before they get it right... although with MS puking all over their own OS legacy, that may happen earlier.

Acer has been pushing out cheap crap for the last couple years or so...

Also
1.1GHz Intel Celeron 847 processor

I will never buy another computer with a Celeron processor, I dont care what the price tag, or OS is. I have a HP laptop with an i7 CPU in it, and a few desktops (i7, Phenom 1100t, Phenom 955)

I also have a Samsung Galaxy S II and I am planning on getting the Samsung Galaxy Note II very soon. Once I get the Samsung Galaxy Note II I willl be giving my Samsung Galaxy Tab to my GF.

So, what marketing niche does this fit in for me?

So, what marketing niche does this fit in for me?
none. chromebook is a cheap offering...so it's below your league.

Acer unveils $199 Intel-powered Chromebook, goes on sale tomorrow
make that 179$ and I'm getting one.

Is there such a thing as android chromebook multi-booting with windows 7/8/ubuntu ?
(because if it does, I am buying it asap)

Seriously, can a chromebook be made to multi-boot with windows 7/8/ubuntu?

Seriously, can a chromebook be made to multi-boot with windows 7/8/ubuntu?
Who knows, but I'd stuff in a clean HDD before I tried.

The CPU in question is more in the realm of "net book" type performance, although likely a bit more potent since net books are so 3 years ago. Some may have had Atom CPUs. Sorry, I didn't take the time to do more research.

Newegg, (and others) are offering this MSI mini ITX board & 947 CPU combo for $90.00: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138368&Tpk=1.1GHz Intel Celeron 847 It does have PCI-E
The board does have a PCI-E lane available, (@ X8), so ostensibly, it's intended for a tiny home theater build.

And the Intel page on the CPU alone. http://ark.intel.com/products/56056/Intel-Celeron-Processor-847-2M-Cache-1_10-GHz The CPU has built in graphics, with a TDP of 17 watts.

I just guessing, but with a full install of Windows 7, Aero would need to be turned off to avoid disappointment with the performance.

The original net books had a special abbreviated version of XP pre-installed.

If you're looking for something with a full featured OS, I'd hold off for a sale on an actual laptop in the $300.00 range Yeah, yeah, I understand the size & weight issue. The A-7 comes in @ about 3.00 Lbs

Can this thing run WIndows? If so, then it sounds like decent value. I'm sure that Celeron beats a Brazos in CPU performance. Might even be better for gaming. $200 for that isn't bad, even if I have to supply my own OS.

Edit: Ah, so this is this without Windows. Not a bad saving.

Can this thing run WIndows? If so, then it sounds like decent value. I'm sure that Celeron beats a Brazos in CPU performance. Might even be better for gaming. $200 for that isn't bad, even if I have to supply my own OS.
There really are better values in low price devices, when they're installed by the manufacturer.

Assuming you're considering "buying" a copy of Windows to install, if you took that money, and upgraded to a better laptop with Windows already installed, IMO, you'd be better off, as you'd likely get a stronger CPU. That would compensate for the added load of running a full version of Windows, instead of the stripped down "Chrome OS". Basically you'd likely have an OS purchase expense of maybe 25 bucks, considering the hardware upgrades you'd likely receive in the deal, instead of one hundred bucks on the OS alone. And I'm assuming you'd want to have a "legit OS"..

I have an eMachines that won't allow you to install Windows from a genuine Windows disc. You must use the restore discs that came with the machine to reinstall the OS. It will however allow a Linux install.

My suggestion is to let somebody, (or a lot of somebodys ), be the guinea pig(s), to try it first.

My suggestion is to let somebody, (or a lot of somebodys ), be the guinea pig(s), to try it first.

I don't tend to buy stuff before it actually hits the street and I can get some opinions on it. Really, I'm unlikely to buy this, because I already have an E-350 laptop and it's good enough for my needs.

But if I didn't, and I could install Windows on this, then it would be appealing. I could install an old copy of XP or Vista, upgrade to Windows 8 for $40 and have a fully usable little laptop for $240. The next step up would be significantly more costly I imagine.

But if I didn't, and I could install Windows on this, then it would be appealing. I could install an old copy of XP or Vista, upgrade to Windows 8 for $40 and have a fully usable little laptop for $240. The next step up would be significantly more costly I imagine.
Before I would leap to the conclusion I could upgrade from , "any old copy of Windows", I'd do my research. I don't think M$ permitted a jump directly from XP to Win 7, and I would also expect the the installed copy of Windows you'd be upgrading from, would have to pass muster with WGA installed.

I drilled this $300.00 Asus out of the pile @ Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230600 Why not take the time to compare specs and features with the Acer C-7 in this thread?

Before I would leap to the conclusion I could upgrade from , "any old copy of Windows", I'd do my research. I don't think M$ permitted a jump directly from XP to Win 7, and I would also expect the the installed copy of Windows you'd be upgrading from, would have to pass muster with WGA installed.

The Windows 8 upgrade offer is from XP, Vista or 7. I see no reason why old retail copies of XP or Vista won't be eligible for it. If they were good enough to pass WGA the first time there's no reason they shouldn't now.

I drilled this $300.00 Asus out of the pile @ Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230600 Why not take the time to compare specs and features with the Acer C-7 in this thread?

Bigger and a faster CPU. Otherwise looks the same (HD size, RAM, display res). It's not bad, but it's more expensive and bulkier.

Anyway, no point in pursuing this further. As I said I already have an E-350 11.6" laptop which is good enough for me. All I wanted to say is that I feel this is decent value for people who want something light that's a little better than a netbook.

Back