Acer unveils UK-bound Predator G5910 gaming desktop

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Acer has announced the upcoming launch of its Predator G5910 desktop. Designed for gamers and enthusiasts who are unwilling or unable to build their own rig from scratch, Predator desktops generally combine mainstream and performance components with an aggressive chassis.

Although the Predator branding probably invokes nightmares of the abstract façade hood seen on the early G7 series (which doesn't even seem to be available through the company's US site anymore), recent G3 and G5 models have adopted a tamer, streamlined appearance.

Acer says the G5910's aesthetics evoke "power and performance." Key design elements include top-running grooves that serve as both eye candy and a cable routing system, and a claw-like mechanism over the optical drives that enhances the system's "combat-machine effect."

Internally, the G5910 will be offered with second-generation Intel Core processors, including the K-branded chips with enhanced overclocking functionality. Naturally, discrete graphics cards are on the menu, but we've only seen the Radeon HD 6800 and GeForce GTX 400 lines mentioned instead of a specific model. For whatever it's worth, the US Predator G5900 series comes with the last-gen Radeon HD 5850, so we'd hope to see something of equal power in the G5910.

You'll be able to select up to 16GB of RAM, while storage is tackled by up to four 2TB hard drives along with two front-accessible hot-swap bays -- a feature typically reserved for pricey enthusiast cases. There's also an optional Blu-ray drive, a multi-card reader, USB ports (no specific mention of USB 3.0), and tons of pre-installed multimedia software courtesy of the "Acer Arcade Deluxe" suite. The Predator G5910 will launch this July in the UK for a starting price of £599 (~$965).

Permalink to story.

Looks pretty sweet although I don't like that it doesn't have a front case fan (at least you can't see it). Hopefully it has top case fan. Wouldn't i7 2500k/2600k be much more better then i7 870?

These big brands have always had the bad habit of using nasty proprietary hardware or interconnects that, unsurprinsingly, make you their slave.

"Designed for gamers and enthusiasts who are unwilling or unable to build their own rig from scratch,"

Love that quote.

I use these machines as a sort of barometer of what I can build currently for myself at a lower price with better components. It's like pricewatch but for what I can do without speccing up to date machines all the time.

... and a claw-like mechanism over the optical drives that enhances the system's "combat-machine effect." ROFLMFAO!...Stop it, stop it now, it's not funny, my sides are hurting.

artix said:
Looks pretty sweet although I don't like that it doesn't have a front case fan (at least you can't see it). Hopefully it has top case fan. Wouldn't i7 2500k/2600k be much more better then i7 870?

The i7 870 is in rank ~50 while the i7 2600k is on the 15th rank, costing around $10 dlls more. No rocket science to ask why not, also it can be noob friendly overclocked to ~5.2 GHz (lol!) from his native 3.4GHz giving around 34% efficiency boost (again lol!?!).

"and tons of pre-installed multimedia software courtesy of the "Acer Arcade Deluxe" suite"

So, first order of business upon powering the Pc up for the first time is a complete re-install of Windows 7 without all the OEM crap...

if it doesn't have UEFI i'm not interested. god, why are those companies so slow at implementing it.

Probably more suited to PC users who also do a moderate amount of gaming on the side. Using 2nd gen Core processors is pretty good but the GPU choices are pretty average plus the real kicker is "tons of pre-installed multimedia software" which likely falls into the category of crapware. My impression - more "Prey" than "Predator".

fpsgamerJR62 said:
Probably more suited to PC users who also do a moderate amount of gaming on the side. Using 2nd gen Core processors is pretty good but the GPU choices are pretty average plus the real kicker is "tons of pre-installed multimedia software" which likely falls into the category of crapware. My impression - more "Prey" than "Predator".

No, it's certainly a Predator. It preys on the wallets of suckers.

Back