Activation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have a problem that's really buggin me out. First I'll provide you with the back story.

-Bought a computer about a year ago
-A month ago, got BSOD, brought it to local computer store to fix
-Employee assumed a re-installation of windows would fix it but it did not. It turned out to be faulty memory sticks, so they gave me a refund for the Vista install.
-A month goes by and everything is working fine
-I restart my computer to suddenly find an all black desktop saying "This copy of Windows is not genuine." It is also asking me to activate windows
-The product key on my desktop tower from the pre-installation when i bought it is not working for the activation
-I can only assume that the key needed is of the one they used when they re-installed.
-What should i do? lol

Also, i google'd the fact that my desktop background is black, and I found out that a windows update from a while back now does that to any versions that are detected as "pirated." Do you think they installed a pirated version of Windows on my computer?

Yes. Talk to Microsoft.
When you purchased the computer, was it new or used? Did it have the product ID from Microsoft stuck to the case.
Do you have a receipt?
Download and run the free Belarc Advisor to find out the key that is installed, then compare that product ID with the one that should be stuck to the computer...
At least get even with the repair shop.
You will have to wipe that drive, or use another to test that ID. Do you have another drive available?
But if you have that product ID sticker, that is valid, you have a case.
Microsoft may be able to provide some help as to what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back