Clean up with OTL
* Double-click OTL.exe
to start the program.
* Close all other programs apart from OTL as this step will require a reboot
* On the OTL main screen, press the CLEANUP
* Say Yes
to the prompt and then allow the program to reboot your computer.
If you still have any tools or logs leftover on your computer you can go ahead and delete those off of your computer now.
Your computer is clean
1. We need to reset system restore to prevent your computer from being accidentally reinfected by using some old restore point(s). We'll create fresh, clean restore point.
Turn off System Restore:
- Windows XP
1. Click Start.
2. Right-click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties.
3. Click the System Restore tab.
4. Check "Turn off System Restore".
5. Click Apply.
6. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted. Click Yes to do this.
7. Click OK.
- Windows Vista and 7
1. Click Start.
2. Right-click the Computer icon, and then click Properties.
3. Click on System Protection under the Tasks column on the left side
4. Click on Continue on the "User Account Control" window that pops up
5. Under the System Protection tab, find Available Disks
6. Uncheck the box for any drive you wish to disable system restore on (in most cases, drive "C:")
7. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted. Click "Turn System Restore Off" on the popup window to do this.
8. Click OK
2. Restart computer.
3. Turn System Restore on.
4. Make sure, Windows Updates
5. If any Trojan was listed among your infection(s), make sure, you change all of your on-line important passwords (bank account(s), secured web sites, etc.) immediately!
6. Download, and install WOT
(Web OF Trust): http://www.mywot.com/
. It'll warn you (in most cases) about dangerous web sites.
7. Run Malwarebytes
"Quick scan" once in a while to assure safety of your computer.
8. Run Temporary File Cleaner
9. Download and install Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
. The Secunia PSI is a FREE security tool designed to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs and plug-ins which expose your PC to attacks. Run it weekly.
10. (optional) If you want to keep all your programs up to date, download and install FileHippo Update Checker
The Update Checker will scan your computer for installed software, check the versions and then send this information to FileHippo.com to see if there are any newer releases.
11. Run defrag at your convenience.
12. Read How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!
13. Please, let me know, how your computer is doing.