Solved [Active] Random sound virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

jo40014

Hey everyone, I believe I have to so called random sound virus. Here are the symptoms:

1. Random loss of focus on whatever window i'm on usually accompanied by a background clicking noise like a browser changing pages
2. Random sounds - usually advertisements - saying something "Congratulations, you have won blah blah" or an ad more condoms
3. I believe it only starts happening when I am connected to the inernet
4. I think it is starting to grow and have effects on other things like files

I have Symantic but it found nothing. I have downloaded and scanned the system with Spybot, Malware, TrendMicro House call and a few other virus detection programs. They do not find anything.

Help please!

Thank you so much Broni. I have completed steps 1,2 and 3. I've attached the log from step 3. I am having major problems with Step 4. GMER keeps freezing the system and I have to restart and try again. After one such restart I rec'd a windows error message which I have attached. I have also attached the dmp file from the windows error.

winerror.JPG

View attachment Mini072910-01.dmp

View attachment mbam-log-2010-07-29 (18-14-39).txt

I will continue to try GMER and keep you posted.

Tried GMER a few more times but only was able to finish the scan when in Safe Mode. Doesn't seem to gather as much information but attaching the log file anyway. Also attaching the log files from DDS.

Await your reply. And thank you

Attachments

• gmer.log
    1.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DDS.txt
    24 KB · Views: 1
  • Attach.txt
    17.6 KB · Views: 0
Download MBRCheck to your desktop

Double click MBRCheck.exe to run (Vista and Windows 7 users, right click and select Run as Administrator).
It will show a black screen with some data on it.
A report called MBRcheckxxxx.txt will be on your desktop
Open this report and post its content in your next reply.

Results of MBRCheck are:

MBRCheck, version 1.1.1

(c) 2010, AD

\\.\C: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive0

Size Device Name MBR Status

--------------------------------------------

298 GB \\.\PhysicalDrive0 Known-bad MBR code detected (Whistler / Black Internet)!

Found non-standard or infected MBR.

Enter 'Y' and hit ENTER for more options, or 'N' to exit:

Done! Press ENTER to exit...

Rerun MBRCheck.
Enter 'Y' and hit ENTER for more options and select option "2".
When asked for physical disk number, enter 0 (zero).
Next, enter 1 (Windows XP) for MBR code.
Post resulting log.

Log:

MBRCheck, version 1.1.1

(c) 2010, AD

298 GB \\.\PhysicalDrive0 Known-bad MBR code detected (Whistler / Black Internet)!

Options:

[1] Dump the MBR of a physical disk to file.

[2] Restore the MBR of a physical disk with a standard boot code.

[3] Exit.

Enter your choice: Enter the physical disk number to fix (0-99, -1 to cancel): Available MBR codes:

[ 0] Default (Windows XP)

[ 1] Windows XP

[ 2] Windows Server 2003

[ 3] Windows Vista

[ 4] Windows 2008

[ 5] Windows 7

[-1] Cancel

Please select the MBR code to write to this drive:

Do you want to fix the MBR code? Type 'YES' and hit ENTER to continue:

Brondi,
I very carefully re-read your instructions. I was not typing YES but rather just went with Y. That last step is not in your instructions just so you know.

Here's the log:

MBRCheck, version 1.1.1

(c) 2010, AD

Options:

[1] Dump the MBR of a physical disk to file.

[2] Restore the MBR of a physical disk with a standard boot code.

[3] Exit.

Enter your choice: Enter the physical disk number to fix (0-99, -1 to cancel): Available MBR codes:

[ 0] Default (Windows XP)

[ 1] Windows XP

[ 2] Windows Server 2003

[ 3] Windows Vista

[ 4] Windows 2008

[ 5] Windows 7

[-1] Cancel

Please select the MBR code to write to this drive:

Do you want to fix the MBR code? Type 'YES' and hit ENTER to continue: Successfully wrote new MBR code!

Please reboot your computer to complete the fix.

Here's the new log. Fingers crossed:

MBRCheck, version 1.1.1

(c) 2010, AD

298 GB \\.\PhysicalDrive0 Windows XP MBR code detected

Super :)

Please download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**
  1. Please, never rename Combofix unless instructed.
  2. Close any open browsers.
  3. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
    • Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
    • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.
    NOTE1. If Combofix asks you to install Recovery Console, please allow it.
    NOTE 2. If Combofix asks you to update the program, always do so.
    • Close any open browsers.
    • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
    • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
    • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.
  4. Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  5. When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  6. Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt"
**Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

Make sure, you re-enable your security programs, when you're done with Combofix.

DO NOT make any other changes to your computer (like installing programs, using other cleaning tools, etc.), until it's officially declared clean!!!

How are the issues?

1. Please open Notepad
  • Click Start , then Run
  • Type notepad .exe in the Run Box.

2. Now copy/paste the entire content of the codebox below into the Notepad window:

Code:
File::
c:\windows\system32\ezsidmv.dat

Registry::
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\security center]
"AntiVirusOverride"=-
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\security center\Monitoring\SymantecAntiVirus]
"DisableMonitoring"=-
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\security center\Monitoring\SymantecFirewall]
"DisableMonitoring"=-

3. Save the above as CFScript.txt

4. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs again, so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

5. Then drag the CFScript.txt into ComboFix.exe as depicted in the animation below. This will start ComboFix again.

CFScript.gif

6. After reboot, (in case it asks to reboot), please post the following reports/logs into your next reply:
  • Combofix.txt

Thank you Brondi

I will apply the combofix as soon as I can - probably tomorrow. The virus is gone - no more issues. A few comments:

1) I'd like to know more about this virus. What is it all about? How did it elude Symantic and the free apps I downloaded and tried? Beside the random sounds, what else was it up to? Any thoughts where I might have picked it up? I think it was fro a supposed Facebook app that I attempted to download but not sure. Could it have come from a video?

2) The service that you and this site provide are off the hook! This would have cost alot to get repaired some other way. Do you accept monetary contributions? Anything else I can do to ensure sites like this continue to exist? I'd like to repay the help in some way.

3) thank you!

You're very welcome :)

It's very important, that you run my Combofix script as soon as possible.
We'll have some other steps to run. Cleaning process has to be finished, or you may be quickly back with same problems.

1. There is no perfect security program. Your computer habits are the most important parts of your computer security. At the end of this topic, I'll post some material for you to read, how to be more secure.

2. Thank you and to answer your question, you may want to check my signature :)

Good :)

Uninstall Combofix:
Go Start > Run [Vista users, go Start>"Start search"]
Type in:
Combofix /Uninstall
Note the space between the "Combofix" and the "/Uninstall"
Click OK (Vista users - press Enter).
Restart computer.

====================================================================

Download OTL to your Desktop.

* Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
* Under the Custom Scan box paste this in:

netsvcs
drivers32 /all
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
%systemroot%\system32\Spool\prtprocs\w32x86\*.dll
%systemroot%\system32\*.wt
%systemroot%\system32\*.ruy
%systemroot%\Fonts\*.com
%systemroot%\Fonts\*.dll
%systemroot%\system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86\*.tmp
%systemroot%\*. /mp /s
/md5start
/md5stop
CREATERESTOREPOINT
%systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
%systemroot%\system32\user32.dll /md5
%systemroot%\system32\ws2_32.dll /md5
%systemroot%\system32\ws2help.dll /md5
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\Results\Install|LastSuccessTime /rs

* Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows: OTL.txt and Extras.txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post them back here.

OTL and Extras

It would not let me post the file contents into the reply - said there were too many characters. I then tried to attache the OTL text but it is 228KB which exceed the limited of 200KB. I am able to attach the extras.txt. So I will split the OTL.txt file in half and post it in 2 files next.

Attachments

• Extras.Txt
    38.8 KB · Views: 1
Update your Java version here: http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Note 1: UNCHECK any pre-checked toolbar and/or software offered with the Java update. The pre-checked toolbars/software are not part of the Java update.

Note 2: The Java Quick Starter (JQS.exe) adds a service to improve the initial startup time of Java applets and applications. If you don't want to run another extra service, go to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Miscellaneous and uncheck the box for Java Quick Starter. Click OK and restart your computer.

Now, we need to remove old Java version and its remnants...

Download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • Run JavaRa.exe (Vista users! Right click on JavaRa.exe, click Run As Administrator), pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
  • Accept any prompts.

========================================================================

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code:
    :OTL
    O16 - DPF: {8FFBE65D-2C9C-4669-84BD-5829DC0B603C} http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/ultrashim.cab (Reg Error: Key error.)
    O16 - DPF: Microsoft XML Parser for Java file://C:\WINDOWS\Java\classes\xmldso.cab (Reg Error: Key error.)
    [2010/08/04 11:52:26 | 000,000,056 | -H-- | M] () -- C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezsidmv.dat

:Services

:Reg
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecAntiVirus]
    "DisableMonitoring" = -
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecFirewall]
    "DisableMonitoring" =-

:Files

:Commands
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [emptyflash]
    [Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • You will get a log that shows the results of the fix. Please post it.
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.

Broni -
I can't update Java due to company restrictions. Anything else we need to do?

By the way, I just made a donation as a token of my appreciation!

Thank you very much :)
I appreciate it :)

Regarding Java, talk to your IT people and let them know, it has to be done for the safety of your computer.

Please, proceed with OTL fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back